Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: DIY Small Pod 25-30hp

DIY Small Pod 25-30hp

Hey guys looking at swapping my cousin for his Quintrex Fish Finder its the old vintage 4.3m centre console tinnies

Just wondering if i need someone in the know how to build a outboard pod or is it something i can knock up my self, looking at a pod around 350mm front to back and it will need to hold a 25hp Yamaha CV

Any advice appreciated

Re: DIY Small Pod 25-30hp

Why do you think it needs a pod?

Just for looks to jazz the old girl up from the 1970 era to current thinking about welding up one of those bow sprits i think there called but the boat is 4.3m length with these two mods should make the boat over 4.8m so we dont need to wear life vest

Check your rego requirements in QLD anything over 4.5 m Doubles from around $80 to $160
    Cheers
    Ray

Hello Gazza,
    I was having a "discussion" with a NSW MSB officer about the 4.8m rule.
    I was told point blank that a bowsprit would not convert my 4.3m boat into a 4.8m boat for solo lifejacket purposes.
    (In NSW if you are solo in a boat less than 4.8m you have to wear a life jacket, total nanny-state BS)

Second, I would not start modifying an old boat, because you take the risk of turning it into a Frankenstein hodge-podge of half-arsed ideas.
    Boatyards are full of these monstrosities.

Quote Originally Posted by Crocodile View Post
    Hello Gazza,
    I was having a "discussion" with a NSW MSB officer about the 4.8m rule.
    I was told point blank that a bowsprit would not convert my 4.3m boat into a 4.8m boat for solo lifejacket purposes.
    (In NSW if you are solo in a boat less than 4.8m you have to wear a life jacket, total nanny-state BS)

Second, I would not start modifying an old boat, because you take the risk of turning it into a Frankenstein hodge-podge of half-arsed ideas.
    Boatyards are full of these monstrosities.
    I agree on all counts. Bowsprits dont count in the length for legal purposes.

I had a early Quintrex Seaman 14 1/2 footer, 1972 model, about 4.3m long. Mine was a side console, it was our first boat and we caught many fish from it. Started off with a 25 Johnson on it, and we later put a 30hp 3 cyl Yamaha on it.

However, those hulls had one really bad handling trait - they would broach in any decent following sea. You had to be really careful. It even broached a couple of times when we overtook boats travelling ahead of us. Scary stuff. Very!!

I suspect that adding a pod would make that even worse. I wouldnt contemplate it.
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....

i think you should just save up and buy a legal 4.8 if that's what you want. With your way, you will have a 4.8m boat that's still only as sea worthy as a 4.3m.
    As Crocodile says, it will look weird, and lower the resale value!
    the old saying, you can't polish a turd!

On the other hand I podded a 10 ft tinny with a pod on either side of the existing transom and it turned it into a really stable boat with a 9.9 HP hung between the pods. They are welded on and have a bottom shape that mirrors the boat hull. I like them and can stand on them to fish off if i choose so lots of buoyancy.DSCF7950.jpgDSCF7951.jpgDSCF7952.jpgDSCF7961.jpgpodsplus200.jpg
    The last pic is a commercial build that I found after I had done mine.

Cheers
    Chimo
    What could go wrong.......................

Lots of boats include pods and bow sprits in their advertised length, some new models suddenly "grew" overnight, what was once a (say) 5.5 m boat became a 6.1 or so with new stickers to match, that said, modifying an older boat might be pushing your luck.

I am probably more handy at fibre glassing than welding so i have the option of FG, Alloy, buy one or build one, i was thinking if i built one it will be a bolt on unit that way if there are any bad habbit's or nastie's i can just unbolt it

The old girl will be getting a home made T top too i will anneal some aluminium 32mm tubing and use a pipe bender

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    Lots of boats include pods and bow sprits in their advertised length, some new models suddenly "grew" overnight, what was once a (say) 5.5 m boat became a 6.1 or so with new stickers to match, that said, modifying an older boat might be pushing your luck.
    I dont think that you would want to hang your hat on “advertised length” if it came to a sh*tfight with the law, Noel.

Now, back to the situation actually at hand, if the boat had obviously had bits tacked on in an attempt to get around the requirements, the authorities are also likely to take a dim view of that. And thats without considering the hull’s inherent behaviour and what the modifications might do to that.

Ultimately some people are more risk averse than others. I wouldnt do it, others might.
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....

That Quintrex is a pretty simple tried and tested hull, I don't think I would add a pod (it might be fantastic though) bow sprits and the like will have no influence on performance, so go for it, as mentioned, not too sure how you will go if the Waterways guys pull you up without a life jacket, but, you never know......

Done a bit of a drawing (i cannot draw FS BTW) but this is how she will look plus the motor will be on the pod extension, i done the deal last night so the boat is mine

as for registration in NSW we have a boat coder and HIN validator at this time the guy measures the boat so i guess it will depend on him/her how the boat is measured than it goes on the registration papers

Came up with this, This is how i would finish the boat off but i would probably wrap that plastic stuff either blue or white around the bow and side rails just to give that extra bit of depth while fishing offshore

The boat measured 4.45m last night so i think with a 35cm pod she should be bang on 4.8m

A great boat for their time, was just a shame there was no transom well and wider gunwhales. If you go down the podding path, you might as well fill in the transom cutout, and weld in some extrusion to widen the gunwhales so you can sit on the sides. they are a very buoyant boat, we had one, and it would plane with 6 adults and a 25hp evinrude. While your at it, try and source a 50hp motor!