Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anchors

Anchors

Hey all. Ive lost a couple of anchors in my days for various reasons.
    I've got a 4.3m tinnie.
    My question is what anchors do you use in creeks with snags and rock bars.
    I've been using a typical sand anchor.

What's your thoughts.

Cheers

Re: Anchors

Try a reef anchor. My understanding is the tines are designed so they bend open to free the anchor from the snag. As long as you have enough lift or pulling strength to pull them off the snag that is,,,
    I guess in a tinny you’re the one doing the lifting.
    Jamie

Saltwater fishing, boat mad but has a job that gets in the way.

Trip your sand anchor.
    Cheap to replace if it does get totally wedged into the rocks.
    NO anchor is 100% snag free.
    Jack.

I only use a reef anchor in the Pumistone Passage, if it doesn't hold in sand then it's usually because the wind is blowing 15 knots or more and the tide is running at 4 knots or greater. If around snags etc weld a chain link to the head and connect the chain to this and zippy tie the anchor to the heel of the snchor. But as Tunaticer says no such thing as an anchor that'll never snag.

As per tunaticer's post. A tripped sand anchor either using a couple of strong cable ties or a piece of insulated copper electrical wire - much like in an extension lead as a tie.

I've been using those folding anchors ....... even for offshore (7lb)
    Saves a lot of room on my boat.
    So far so good
    If you are concerned about snagging - you can attach the chain at the opposite end & use cable ties or some other breakaway

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

I got this one from BCF and it's absolute garbage. I can't get it to hold. I've even tried spearing it straight down and that doesn't work. I might try a bit more chain on it before I return it to them. It's crap.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dale

I fish because the little voices in my head tell me to

On the plus side, the slim profile does get them to the bottom quickly.

Ausfish Silver Member jackson4300's Avatar

I had one of the bars on a reef anchor go through a small hole in quite a large rock off the gold coast one day.
    The rock came loose off the bottom but the anchor couldn't straighten enough to slide back out.
    I probably drove away with this rock attached 4 times, couldn't figure out why the rope had so much tension like it was on the bottom still, but I was moving away from where I had started....
    Took me all of 45 minutes to pull the anchor + rock up from about 45m.... Probably another 15 to get the rock off once at the boat.... Went home after that. In hindsight I should have cut it off and gladly gone and bought a new anchor + chain....

As said above, any anchor can become stuck beyond retrieval. All it takes is the boat swinging around and chain wrapping around something on the bottom.

Quote Originally Posted by aussiebasser View Post
    I got this one from BCF and it's absolute garbage. I can't get it to hold. I've even tried spearing it straight down and that doesn't work. I might try a bit more chain on it before I return it to them. It's crap.
    Have you curled the bars out?

Haha. Just joking!

I kind of think it's a tongue in cheek post........

ohh...haha. i guess it was me that got gazumped!

I suspect if the anchors that are not working were attached to twice or even three times as much chain they would work much more better..

Even aircraft carriers rely on the chain length and weight rather than the anchor at the end..

http://www.sailboat-cruising.com/anc...in-length.html
    What could go wrong.......................

Quote Originally Posted by aussiebasser View Post
    What you do with those is form the prongs into a spiral. Then when you get to where you want to anchor, lob it over and drive the boat in circles half a dozen times to screw it into the bottom. Just remember which way you went though so you can do the opposite circles to unscrew it when you want to leave. The process works better with gopro footage too.😉

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    What you do with those is form the prongs into a spiral. Then when you get to where you want to anchor, lob it over and drive the boat in circles half a dozen times to screw it into the bottom. Just remember which way you went though so you can do the opposite circles to unscrew it when you want to leave. The process works better with gopro footage too.
    Love ya work ha ha ha

Saltwater fishing, boat mad but has a job that gets in the way.