Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A good bugdet fillet knife

A good bugdet fillet knife

Can anyone recommend me a decent fillet knife around $30-40 or below.
    Also a 6" blade seems a nicer length than 7" to me.

Sent from my SM-G360G using Tapatalk

Re: A good bugdet fillet knife

Knives man I've gone through some - some are just hopeless
    Unfortunately - outside of your price ..... Dexter ($60-70) consistently good , sharpen well - commonly used by pro fisherman .... worth the coin though

Avoid Swibos ....

But to answer your question

The best value filleting knife (IMHO) is the Victorinox 47513 ..... you should be able to get in on ebay for $40
    6" & it holds a good edge

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

I have the Victorinox but in a longer version, flexible blade.

I also have a Dexter Russell again a longer foexible filleting knife.

Of the two, the
    Victorinox is the superior filleting knife. Holds an edge better. Easy to sharpen.
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....

Awesome, ill have a look at the victorinox!

Sent from my SM-G360G using Tapatalk

While we are on this subject...skining knifes. They look like the bread knife below but are more flexible and dont not have a serrated edge. Who sell these.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Ausfish mobile app
    Maturity is not when we start speaking BIG things,it is when we start understanding small things

Quote Originally Posted by tropicrows View Post
    While we are on this subject...skining knifes. They look like the bread knife below but are more flexible and dont not have a serrated edge. Who sell these.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Ausfish mobile app
    Look for ham bone knife

Ausfish New Member
    Blog Entries

Ats nets at clontaft have a mundail filleting knife for about $25 good stuff

Quote Originally Posted by tropicrows View Post
    You are looking for a Ham Knife.
    Search that, they are not uncommon.
    FWIW I use a 9" Shimano knife for skinning with no troubles.

I have a plethora of knives for filletting.
    Several decent ones are lifted below.
    Rapala do a 6 to 9 inch collapsible knife, very sharp, holds the edge well and suitably rigid enough for filletting.
    Mundial have a great filletting blade that is superb to use, but needs a quick swipe on the ceramic steel every ten fish or so.
    Gerber have one that is ok but a bit expensive at $60.
    Best of the lot is a Wilkinson Sword 8" filletter I have had for 30 years. Would love to buy another one soon.
    Jack.

So there's a 6" dexter Russell on ebay $40 delivered which looks pretty nice.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/VICTORIN...wAAOSwgApW~2mC

VICTORINOX 6" SUPER FLEXIBLE CURVED BONING FILLET KNIFE RIBBED VX GRIP HANDLE - $38 delivered

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/VICTORIN...QAAOSwaxlZkTKy

VICTORINOX 6" FLEX. NARROW BONING /FILLET KNIFE 56413.15 SWISS HARD STAINLESS - $38

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/VICTORIN...wAAOSwgApW~2mC

Take a look at Victory knives.

http://www.knifeshopaustralia.com.au...ry-knives.html

Bait wholesale company I was working for used these when we were filleting mullet - good bit of gear.

Victorinox
    F Dick
    Swibo
    Giesser

You should be able to pick up all those at around the $40 mark. This is what the pro's use

I am a slaughterman and we mostly use the Victory 6 inch skinning, great knives and as for filleting?, I use a 7 dollar Kmart knife.
    The Victorinox 6 inch boning knives cost 16 bucks at work, ive seen them selling for 45 at knife shops..
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by alleycat View Post
    I am a slaughterman and we mostly use the Victory 6 inch skinning, great knives and as for filleting?, I use a 7 dollar Kmart knife.
    The Victorinox 6 inch boning knives cost 16 bucks at work, ive seen them selling for 45 at knife shops..
    Do you guys regrind you knives for the job? I remember working at inghams and they would basically take a brand new knife and grind half the blade off it. Same for some fish mongers and some of the bigger abattoirs. These places had several full time staff purely for shaping and sharpening knives.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealAndy View Post
    Do you guys regrind you knives for the job? I remember working at inghams and they would basically take a brand new knife and grind half the blade off it. Same for some fish mongers and some of the bigger abattoirs. These places had several full time staff purely for shaping and sharpening knives.
    Would you
    I know what you mean though ....... less resistance
    That shaping is really an individual thing ...... The way you hold a knife & cut / fillet

There are some cracker Japanese knives ...... hundreds of dollars each
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO