Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A good bugdet fillet knife

Re: A good bugdet fillet knife

Have a look at the orange handle knives from the Tackle World stores they're about $25 a pop and are by far one of the best knives I've used for filleting.

Quote Originally Posted by tropicrows View Post
    While we are on this subject...skining knifes. They look like the bread knife below but are more flexible and dont not have a serrated edge. Who sell these.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Ausfish mobile app

Mate that looks like a pastry knife, try searching for that

I use a 6" victorinox flexible filleting knife
    this is the knife I use, you can buy one with a plastic handle for cheaper.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-Victo...IAAOSw6HJZzdNI

i have been using this knife for 15 years and its easy got another 15 years

Quote Originally Posted by tropicrows View Post
    While we are on this subject...skining knifes. They look like the bread knife below but are more flexible and dont not have a serrated edge. Who sell these.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Ausfish mobile app
    That knife there is called a larding knife.

https://www.dynamiccateringequipment...0mm-black.html

I have seen swibo branded ones as well

EDIT. Just reread the original question by tropic crows. not chasing a larding knife but the same style without the wavy edge. That knife would be a slicing knife like this: http://www.everten.com.au/victorinox...ndle-30cm.html

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealAndy View Post
    Do you guys regrind you knives for the job? I remember working at inghams and they would basically take a brand new knife and grind half the blade off it. Same for some fish mongers and some of the bigger abattoirs. These places had several full time staff purely for shaping and sharpening knives.
    We have what is called a double wheel grinder that hollow grinds our knives, for workers on the kill floor you want a knife thin enough so you can flex edge with your thumb nail , but you need to be careful not to go too thin or it will buckle if you hit something hard, boners need a thicker edge, and yes for some jobs a half worn knife is best so some will shape the blade to suit, after all they only cost us 16 bucks, and you can see the hollow grind on my knives in photo..

Have most knives mentioned so far , Stainless which is cleaner for health issues , tad harder in the sharpening bay but dont cost nowhere near a good carbon Chef knife which would be a tad too costly for a basic bait filleting knife .
    Another brand not mentioned but is wrthy a mention are the Dawson River Knives . Bought a shyetload of these that had been throught he 2011 floods?? and they cut well straight out of the box or should i say plastic envelope they came in .
    First purchase one of these from one of those little shopping outlets in your local Malls selling tree pruning gadgets , thought well of it and went on the hunt for more .
    Sharpen well in quick time also and clean cutting ..

Quote Originally Posted by alleycat View Post
    We have what is called a double wheel grinder that hollow grinds our knives, for workers on the kill floor you want a knife thin enough so you can flex edge with your thumb nail , but you need to be careful not to go too thin or it will buckle if you hit something hard, boners need a thicker edge, and yes for some jobs a half worn knife is best so some will shape the blade to suit, after all they only cost us 16 bucks, and you can see the hollow grind on my knives in photo..
    Yup, can see the grind. I was always taught to do a double bevel on knives (taught by my father who is a toolmaker by trade), so you grind at one angle, then a second smaller grind at a less acute angle. Seems to work for me but guessing its probably pretty similar to a hollow grind. I have a tormek grinder that I use for sharpening chisels and planer blades that could probably put a hollow grind, however I tried an old knife on it once and it scared me how much material it removed! I guess it takes a lot of practice on machines.

The oldest and truest saying about a knife. Never buy a knife with an expensive looking handle as the money has gone into the handle not the blade!
    Mine cost $40 from bcf and its awsome. Has an orange plastic handle 👍

Sent from my SM-G925I using Ausfish mobile app

https://www.anglerswarehouse.com.au/...-_6_inch_12157
    Just purchased one of these from local BCF Pricematch
    https://www.#################.com.au...nife-grey.html
    A little cheaper here with free postage if your local tackle shop wont price match .
    For me its just the right size for my travel tackle bag . Halfe an hour on my stones stropping included gave the edge a Razor Sharp finish although time will tell as to edge retention with this blade though they say the marttinni is supposed to be a quallity Blade ??..
    So thats anothery to ye collection ..
    That second link was supposed to read Fishing Tackle Shop so dont know why it doesnt show it for $2 odd dollars cheaper again..

Fergot to mention $54.95 was its price ..