Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mercury 4 stroke - Chinese Made

Re: Mercury 4 stroke - Chinese Made

Read the book "Poorly made in China" for an insight into how they think......may not apply to big companies like Mercury but explains a few things!

I have a 2014 50HP 4S and it's been faultless. Like others have said, there's a difference between Chinese Made & Chinese Manufactured.
    Mercury have tight quality control over their process and parts.
    The 40/50/60 is an inline 4 cylinder that runs smoothly and has more torque than other 3 cylinder motors of the same HP.
    Would I buy another one? Without any hesitation based on my current 3 years of ownership.
    Cheers,
    Leigh (Kero).

Thanks mate. The 40hp is an inline 3 then they move to a 4cyl in the 50hp...makes the Honda online 3 new BF40 look attractive. Cheers

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Boat: Seafarer Vagabond
    Live: Great South East....love Moreton Bay fishing

Quote Originally Posted by ozscott View Post
    Thanks mate. The 40hp is an inline 3 then they move to a 4cyl in the 50hp...makes the Honda online 3 new BF40 look attractive. Cheers

Yes your right, I just checked. I thought that the 40 was the same block. Apologies!
    Cheers,
    Leigh (Kero).

The Tohatsu (new) 40hp looks fantastic and great torque. Apparently the only one left 100 per cent made in Japan? But warranty much less than Honda. Cheers

Boat: Seafarer Vagabond
    Live: Great South East....love Moreton Bay fishing

Mercury 4 stroke - Chinese Made

I thought Honda was making the 4 strokes for tohatsu? I know they do in larger models.

Just not 100 percent sure of lower hp models.

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums
    560c Bar Crusher "Overtime"

have owned a 60hp merc and a 60 hp yammie , both looked very similar under the cowl. Yammie was a far better motor IMHO
    both had good power and econ, but the yammie just seemed a happier and quite. bought the merc with smart craft which i had on a opti and loved but on the 60hp most of the smart craft functions didnt work.

have a suzuki atm and it seems to be a good thing so far.

BigE

Lots of Mercs had Yamaha power heads, Honda make Tohatsu 4 strokes over 60HP, the smaller HP are a mixed bag.

Quote Originally Posted by ozscott View Post
    Mate that's a really interesting article. Thanks very much for posting. It doesn't say where the components are made but we can probably assume in various factories in China. Given that the castings have been made there since 20p3 or so corrosion problems would be sell and truly evident by now if these Chinese Made motors were substandard. Cheers

You're welcome mate, good luck with the decision!

It's a global economy now and I wonder how long it will be until other manufacturers move their operations.

My previous English motorcycle was made in Thailand as was my current Italian one. 11 years for both with no issues. Yeah I know its not China but they do make spacecraft now...

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealPoMo View Post
    My previous English motorcycle was made in Thailand as was my current Italian one. 11 years for both with no issues. Yeah I know its not China but they do make spacecraft now...

All well and good, but did the bikes maintain their propensity for oil leaks like good old English motor cycles ?
    Tongue in cheek
    Sorry ;-)
    I do like some of the old bikes though.

Saltwater fishing, boat mad but has a job that gets in the way.

ive seen some australian manufacturing facilities that are pretty 3rd world .
    country of origin matters little now days.

Marine outfitting solutions
    www.moosemarine.com.au

Quote Originally Posted by 552Evo View Post
    All well and good, but did the bikes maintain their propensity for oil leaks like good old English motor cycles ?
    Tongue in cheek
    Sorry ;-)
    I do like some of the old bikes though.

Saltwater fishing, boat mad but has a job that gets in the way.
    Haha, no, not a drop. I get where you are coming from tho. I still have a Meriden built 1961 Thunderbird that keeps the workshop stand (and floor ) rust free.

Actually, at the risk of hijacking the thread into a motorcycle theme, I once had a 1973 Honda 350/4. The engine casings were made from something like...well you know when you have leftover vintage cheddar after the bbq and you stick it in the fridge for 6 months? That's what Honda used.
    And now we all worship Japanese made stuff - because they got better.