Thread: Dropping boat onto tyres

Dropping boat onto tyres

Need to carry out repairs on my trailer and need to drop the boat at home onto tyres.
    Having never done this before im unsure how many tires approx would be required and what is the best method of doing this?
    Boat is a 6.1 Tabs plate and trailer is a skid type with no rollers.
    Any help would be much appreciated.
    Joel.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Dropping boat onto tyres

Quote Originally Posted by barney1979 View Post
    Need to carry out repairs on my trailer and need to drop the boat at home onto tyres.
    Having never done this before im unsure how many tires approx would be required and what is the best method of doing this?
    Boat is a 6.1 Tabs plate and trailer is a skid type with no rollers.
    Any help would be much appreciated.
    Joel.

2 along the keel and 1 either side to keep it upright. I’ve done it a few times.

You might need to tie the boat to something and drive the trailer out from under it to get it off a bunk trailer.

Getting it back on you unhitch the trailer and winch it under the boat. You will need to make sure the trailer won’t take off when the boat reaches the point of balance.

The winch will end up high in the air as the trailer goes under the bow so you may need a small ladder too.
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    nil carborundum illegitimi

Re: Dropping boat onto tyres

Pretty simple, just make sure the transducer is clear, motor right up, one tyre under the very rear and just let it sit on the grass, the boat gets a lot worse treatment being pounded hitting chop at 25 knots than any grass will do, as mentioned, just tie off the back, drive off slow and straight until the boat just touches the ground, then continue moving away, putting back on, trailer off car, lined up straight and start winching, make sure the trailer goes under the boat, not the boat dragged onto trailer, because grass stains are hard to get off.

Thanks for the advice guys.
    Just picked up some old tyres from Bridgestone, so I’m all set.
    I’ll give it a crack tomorrow once the rain clears up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

spray your skids with WD40. make em slippery

Unlike NoelM I use two under the back of the boat and a couple along the spine.
    I usually wind the jockey wheel thingy to maximum height, and it starts to roll off, but if there is something you can tie the back to, Noel's system is a goody.

I used 4 tyres but to wind it back on is so simple. Hitch her up, wind her on, just leave the vehicle in neutral with somebody sitting in it if your worried about it. The vehicle will actually go backwards until there is no more boat weight on the ground, one of the easiest things I've ever done on my own.

Quote Originally Posted by littlejim View Post
    Unlike NoelM I use two under the back of the boat and a couple along the spine.
    I usually wind the jockey wheel thingy to maximum height, and it starts to roll off, but if there is something you can tie the back to, Noel's system is a goody.
    Be very careful doing it without the trailer attached to a car. Found out the hard way the first time I pushed a previous 4.5m tinny off it's trailer. Hit the balance point and it took off like a rocket. Draw bar went skywards nearly cleaning me up and the rear roller bracket got driven into the turf making it near on impossible to get the trailer out. I needed an extra body to get enough weight on the drawbar to get it out. The whole procedure is a whole lot more controlled when it's attached to a car. Tie the stern back and if you have a helper, get them to wind the winch out as you SLOWLY creep the car forward - thus slowing the sterns decent when the balance point is reached. Without a helper, I let out about a foot of wire at a time, re-engage the winch and pull the car forward a foot - repeating the process until the transom is on the ground - at which time you can disconnect the winch and slowly drive forward - stopping as required to position tyres.

Well happy to report boat came off with no issues.
    Chained boat to a tree and slowly drove trailer off. Used 4 tyres, 2 under keel and 2 to stabize.
    Now to repair trailer....

Simple hey? getting it back on is easier, a bit harder work because you have to wind, but easier to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    Simple hey? getting it back on is easier, a bit harder work because you have to wind, but easier to do.
    Yep was a piece of cake.
    Will see how it goes in about 2 weeks time getting it back on.

It seems everyone has their own little tweaks for this, I prefer being hooked to the car at all times & use two people if possible. Straight onto grass with nothing under the keel & a spare wheel under each side to level the boat if you want to work on it. I've never loaded on to a skid trailer but I'd be thinking maybe wrap an old blanket around the first point of contact or something, a good dose of common sense is really all you need.
    Without a helper, I let out about a foot of wire at a time, re-engage the winch and pull the car forward a foot - repeating the process until the transom is on the ground
    I use my car scottar, reverse back & hit the brakes 1 foot at a time when I'm on my own, I have skills.

If it's level ground just back the trailer up to the boat hook her on take the handbrake off and start winching the boat on. The car will start to reverse on its own as the boat comes back on. It was one of the easiest things I have managed to do on my own.

I used tractor tyres so the drop off and back onto the trailer was only a few cm's which made it even easier.