Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1770 - Fitzroy Reef, solo boat ?

Question 1770 - Fitzroy Reef, solo boat ?

Hey there, with todays modern tech outboards we travel hundreds of miles offshore and never have any problems.

Is going to Fitzroy Reef from 1770 in a single outboard boat without another boat in company a foolish idea ?

Once upon a time going out to sea in a single engine outboard boat was considered foolish.

Re: 1770 - Fitzroy Reef, solo boat ?

I've done it a number of times.Foolish?Maybe but I don't consider it so.To me it would be foolish not to throw in spare fuel,not to carry a lot of water and not to carry ALL the safety gear.I also have two radios.All in a 5 metre Cruise Craft.

I would do it without a second thought.

Cheers
    rob

I would do it but would prefer company of another boat or two even just to catch up for beers in the evening

Quote Originally Posted by Crunchy View Post
    I would do it but would prefer company of another boat or two even just to catch up for beers in the evening
    Makes for a better trip although Mojoes did run out of fuel last time we did a trip to the Breaksea as it added 50kms to our planned journey as we decided to keep Soulfish company 😉 so we ended up making a donation to the VMR.

Ausfish Bronze Member Marchy001's Avatar

Confidence in your gear, weather, crew, and any other variables and I happily go as far as fuel will allow just make sure you factor in some room for heavy fuel usage if weather deteriorates. A second boat obviously adds that little more safety to the trip

Ive been in pretty remote places in a single engined car!! Keep it serviced, look after it and have confidence in it.

And carry the right gear just in case you have a drama.

i have a 5.1 meter and have been out past Boult by myself, my theory is one is enough and two is good company, but always carry more fuel than i need and plenty of water

Your VHF is critial. Log and and off and always update your position with Marine Rescue Round Hill. Over cater for fuel. Take extra large esky Yep, it can and has been done, even in smaller boats. Chances are, if you are out there, there will be plenty of others about

cheers LP
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

No its to far don't risk it 🙃

All good as long as your motor is serviced and you have confidence in it. There will be other boats out there. Like others have said, take plenty of water, safety gear, VHF, and log in to the VMR. We do a yearly trip out off Stanage which is pretty remote in itself and then go 130 to 140klm offshore. We log in to the VMR and have everything listed above. I have my motor serviced and checked out completely before we go.

It's been mentioned by just about all and sundry - preparation & your own ability ......

However - If you need to ask this question you probably need to go with another boat

If your boat has little niggles ( temperamental starting , has had flat batteries , your radio or bilge pump plays up ) I wouldn't be going till these are sorted & they work 100%

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Late reply but yeah, thanks. Have 100% confidence in my Yammy, have plenty of fuel and water, VHF radio, epirb plus personal epirb, etc etc.

Just hope the weather plays the game for us. Going next week, Thursday to Sunday for fishing days.

Quote Originally Posted by Lancair View Post
    Late reply but yeah, thanks. Have 100% confidence in my Yammy, have plenty of fuel and water, VHF radio, epirb plus personal epirb, etc etc.

Just hope the weather plays the game for us. Going next week, Thursday to Sunday for fishing days.
    How'd you go? Did you manage to get up to 1770?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    Makes for a better trip although Mojoes did run out of fuel last time we did a trip to the Breaksea as it added 50kms to our planned journey as we decided to keep Soulfish company  so we ended up making a donation to the VMR.
    Gravedig - It would be nearly a 200 k.m. round trip from Musgrave to Breaksea in a straight line. You were 25 kms from breaksea and fishing it out of 1770?
    nil carborundum illegitimi