Thread: Innsurance lay up

Innsurance lay up

G'day all, does anyone nominate lay up months for their boat innsurance?
    Like most, i don't get the boat wet as much as i would like. I am going to nominate 12 months lay up time. And when you take the boat out, you just ring up and pay the extra money for that month. The only downfall i can see is if i forget to notify.
    Anybody have any input?
    Thanks
    John

Re: Innsurance lay up

I nominate the months over winter when I know I dont want to take the boat out.

Basically though you need to budget money each year to store, service and maintain your boat ...if you dont spend it ..you will lose it somewhere..reliability ..resale etc.....insurance we all hate paying it..but as a mate in insurance once said..pay it and if you NEVER make a claim.. you ve had a good life.

I do it for both my tinnie and my 7.4m Pacific sportfish. I save about half the insurance cost by doing this (less the months when you go out). You have to remember to pay though as I have forgotten a couple of times so I leave a note on the dash of the boat now to remind me when I am packing.

How would you go if someone stole your boat during that time or if it caught fire in the shed.

From memory - the boat is covered during a lay up period as long as it is behind locked gates & not used

Personally , having had an issue with one of the big insurers when my boat was stolen just prior to the commencement of a lay up period (no one could categorically say what was the day that the boat was stolen - & they tried to use the reported date) I would never do it again - it's just too easy to get it wrong & then you have to deal with the insurance company .

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    From memory - the boat is covered during a lay up period as long as it is behind locked gates & not used

Personally , having had an issue with one of the big insurers when my boat was stolen just prior to the commencement of a lay up period (no one could categorically say what was the day that the boat was stolen - & they tried to use the reported date) I would never do it again - it's just too easy to get it wrong & then you have to deal with the insurance company .

Chris
    But it is covered for theft during lay up times as well, what was their argument?

Quote Originally Posted by docaster View Post
    But it is covered for theft during lay up times as well, what was their argument?
    It was out on the road when stolen - so they tried to say that the boat was stolen during a lay up period where it should not have been out behind locked gates . It was only when a few weeks later that I was talking to a neighbour who said her wife noticed the boat missing (she parked her car there) before the start date of the lay up period ..... It took a statutory declaration & even then the insurance company was dragged yelling & kicking to come to the party .
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

insurance is tricky but it common sense mostly. I personal don't like layup, I don't see the point, it more hassle then it should be, half the guys up the road from where i am in cleveland has them and the saving sometime wroth it i guess. it a personal budget thing for some individuals. but likewise if you buy an investment then cover it!

otherwise, well put it this way, have you been caught driving your car without rego? considering we no longer get the labels now.. if not then lay up is good, if yes, then lay up isnt good.

just keep the fact intact, your insurance only cover your context of specific... as such if you list garage and it was reported on the road when stolen, then it get very hard to claim