Thread: cruise craft explorer 685 tow vehicle

cruise craft explorer 685 tow vehicle

Hi I have a 685 explorer , that I currently tow with a landcruiser 100 series, I am looking at the new Prado to replace it currently there are conflicting information on what the new Prado can tow, some say 2.5 t some say 3 t I want to ensure that I am compliant when towing, I live in NSW.
    Boat is on a aluminium trailer , I have not had it across scales so not 100% as to what mine weighs any advice appreciated.

Re: cruise craft explorer 685 tow vehicle

Prado won't cut it. The last time I ,looked closely at them, they towed 2.5t and they had a short wheel base version which did 3t. I don't think the SWB exists now.

Dual cab utes (Hilux, Colorado, Ranger, BT50, V6 Amarok) or something like the LC200, Jeep Grand Cherokee, Audi Q7, VW Touareg (new one arriving soon) would be my picks,

Ausfish Silver Member Swanie1975's Avatar

What sort of cruiser have you got? I'm currently looking for a 100 series.
    Been towing a 2.9 ton caravan with a 2012 3.2 px ranger and it's really impressive, best out of the tow vehicles I've used. (Pajero,prado,navara and ranger)
    My 75 year old father just lapped oz in it and had no dramas with either tow vehicle or van, except for a bumper scrape and clobbering a roo lol, but there's not enough seats now for my herd so I need to change unfortunately.
    You're probably best to find out the weight of your rig first so you've got definite numbers to work
    from.

cheers Ryan

The new prado due next month I believe is now rated to 3T

http://www.forcegt.com/news/toyota-l...-updated-2018/

Mate of mine has the BT50 to tow his 685 and it works really well, the only time it doesn't do the job is up around Indian Head in the soft sand once it's been churned up by all the idiots then he gets his brother in the Cruiser tray back to help him through. On the highway works really well.

Talk to someone like Bob Romano in Brisbane about pre delivery GVM/GTM upgrade which is Australia wide compliant. That will get something like 3100 kg out of the prado. Still not enough to tow a 685 as far as I would be concerned and costs a shit load.
    nil carborundum illegitimi

The new Prado due in Nov is 3T. It will easily tow it. I have towed 3.5T (illegally) with my 2.8ltr Prado so you want have a problem.

Rusty, I've got a vehicle changeover coming to with similar towing issues, I have a Prado now, was considering going to a ford Everest basis the 3.2 vs new Prado at 2.8. Everest is a bit heavier as well I think. Rangers seem to get good feedback which is basically what an Everest is in wagon form I think.
    Scott

It's interesting when manufacturers adapt a wagon from a dual cab ute. They all seem to lower the towing capacity. The everest, like others such as the MU-X, trailblazer and Fortuner, all drop to 3000kgs towing. When their ute siblings do 3,500kgs.

The 685 cruise craft is 2700kg dry, and thats not with a hard top. With a 300 litre tank full, and some gear, you are already well over the 3,000kg limit of these particular wagons - and the new Prado if it in fact does 3,000kg. Silly thing is, all of them could tow 3,500kg but the manufacturers want to make sure you buy other cars in their stables to do that.

I think you also need to take into consideration the towball downward weight to what you can tow. So if you use the 10 percent rule, a 685 explorer dry at
    2700kg + 270kg of downward weight puts you on the 3,000kg limit straight away. Any one of these wagons could cause issues with insurance I reckon, in the event of something bad happening. Just my thoughts.... luckily I'm not towing something that heavy yet i have a colorado to do it.

It seems to be Rangers and Colorados doing the towing in these vids...

Quote Originally Posted by RayLamp View Post
    It's interesting when manufacturers adapt a wagon from a dual cab ute. They all seem to lower the towing capacity. The everest, like others such as the MU-X, trailblazer and Fortuner, all drop to 3000kgs towing. When their ute siblings do 3,500kgs.
    Perhaps because the wagon versions are heavier with all the extra materials needed to build the rear section.
    Remember to always log on before heading offshore.

Wagons also have coil rear
    suspension where their ute donor vehicles have heavier duty ( but less comfy) leaf springs. I think the wagons have a shortened wheelbase as well but may be wrong...

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums

Most of the modern dual cabs do 3.5t. dmax being the cheapest, and one of the best imho.

Quote Originally Posted by RayLamp View Post

The 685 cruise craft is 2700kg dry, and thats not with a hard top. With a 300 litre tank full, and some gear, you are already well over the 3,000kg limit of these particular wagons - and the new Prado if it in fact does 3,000kg. Silly thing is, all of them could tow 3,500kg but the manufacturers want to make sure you buy other cars in their stables to do that.

I think you also need to take into consideration the towball downward weight to what you can tow. So if you use the 10 percent rule, a 685 explorer dry at
    2700kg + 270kg of downward weight puts you on the 3,000kg limit straight away. Any one of these wagons could cause issues with insurance I reckon, in the event of something bad happening. Just my thoughts.... luckily I'm not towing something that heavy yet i have a colorado to do it.
    this is true, my son has a Colorado, my daughter has a Trailblazer, the Colorado tows my Sharkcat like a dream, the Trailblazer wouldnt tow it around the block, it might tow my tinny OK, that said, as a car, the Trailblazer is better to drive

Ausfish Platinum Member

Find a weighbridge, it isn't hard. Usually at the local tip or scrap metal merchant. Google it. They probably won't charge you a cent if you don't need an actual certificate. Asking this question on the internet is a bit pointless unless you know what YOUR boat weighs.