Thread: is an Airmar P66 a differential transducer

is an Airmar P66 a differential transducer

I have an Airmar P66 8 pin transducer and I'm wondering if it is a non differential or a differential transducer. The reason I'm asking is that Garmin replaced my faulty GMAP750S with a 751xs and provided an adaptor box as the standard transducer for the 750S is only 6 pin but I'm looking to changing my setup.

The instructions that came with the box talks about non differential etc but no where can I find this sort of information. I suspect I should be able to plug the P66 straight into it.

Re: is an Airmar P66 a differential transducer

Having recently bought a p66, I did look at the electrical diagrams which are available from the airmar website. I seem to remember it having only a single element, so it could only be "non differential" though I am not sure what that exactly means. I do know that you would need two sources to generate a differential signal.

Hope that helps. If not, have a look at the transducer table on the airmar website.

... Ron via mobile

Ron
    Loc: Bundaberg
    B1: Yalta Craft 2200 Fisherman + Suzuki DF150
    B2: Quintrex 430 Fishabout + E-Tech 40

Hi Sam. Take a look here mate

http://www.gemeco.com/wiring-transducer.php

That site has all the wiring diagrams. Best I can tell "differential" is simply Garmin's word for transducer ID as that seems to be the only real difference between the older 6 pin and the new 8 pin. Not a term I have heard used to describe transducers before.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald2boats View Post
    Having recently bought a p66, I did look at the electrical diagrams which are available from the airmar website. I seem to remember it having only a single element, so it could only be "non differential" though I am not sure what that exactly means. I do know that you would need two sources to generate a differential signal.

Hope that helps. If not, have a look at the transducer table on the airmar website.

... Ron via mobile
    Ron, the Garmin website says the P66 is compatible but that could mean it needs to go through the adaptor box which means cutting the plug off.
    I would rather be certain before doing anything. I have spoken to Garmin previously about the P66 and there information is the standard transducer I had was equal to it. To give kudos where due on dealing with them on their product they have been more than helpful and replaced a unit 7 months out of warranty.

Cheers
    Sam

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    Hi Sam. Take a look here mate

http://www.gemeco.com/wiring-transducer.php

That site has all the wiring diagrams. Best I can tell "differential" is simply Garmin's word for transducer ID as that seems to be the only real difference between the older 6 pin and the new 8 pin. Not a term I have heard used to describe transducers before.
    Thanks Scott, I'll grab the diagrams for the adaptor box and compare the terminations to see if there is a match with these diagrams.

Cheers
    Sam

See here: http://www.airmar.com/xref.html

, search P66 - first line is garmin.

Ron

See here: http://www.airmar.com/xref.html

, search P66 - first line is garmin. Scroll right to wiring diag. Anyway, attached a screenshot.

Attachment 116397

Ron

garmin.jpg
    Diagram for Garmin hopefully attached this time

Ron

Thanks Ron, that was in the link Scottar sent, now I need the connection for the 751xs, this I think I can get from the details they sent with the adaptor control box. It was just too wet and windy to go out to the shed last night.

Yes, frogs have moved into the house here to get out of the rain!

... Ron via mobile

Ron

OK, I have checked the 6 pin to 8 pin control box adapter I was given (my original transducer is 6 pin) and did a check with the multimeter. Now using the pin numbers for the P66 transducer using the solder lug view (this is the actual plug on the end of the transducer I hope), I get the following:
    Pin 1 - both Ground and Shield - a match
    Pin 2 - temparatures - a match
    Pin 3 - no connection
    Pin 4 - speed voltage - a match
    Pin 5 - XID, as per box labeling but doesn't pass through to the 8 pin plug
    Pin 6 - no connection
    Pin 7 - depth -ve - a match
    Pin 8 - depth +ve - a match

As far as I can see what is missing is the Speed Data connection. Now remembering that this is a 6 pin to 8 pin configuration it looks like it will work (why didn't they just give me a 6 pin to 8 pin cable) as the P66 is and 8 pin cable.

If I plug it straight into the GPS MAP 751xs what is likely to go wrong, am I going to totally screw things up.91_1041.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Is a Garmin P66 Sam? If so I suspect it will be fine to just plug straight in. All the literature I could find on the box specifically mentioned it was for connecting legacy (discontinued) 6 pin transducers and wasn't to be used for 8 pin ones.

Scott it is an Airmar P66 for a Garmin unit, I think it should be fine but will see if Garmin will talk to me about it. Email hadn't been answered yet, it's the talk of differential and non that has me perplexed.