Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rust Stains on Fibreglass

Re: Rust Stains on Fibreglass

Quote Originally Posted by 552Evo View Post
    Hi all, thought I’d share a success story that some may be interested in.
    Unfortunately I didn’t take a “before” shot, but I’m sure you know what the rust stains look like.
    I was careful not to overdo the spray application because I wasn’t sure how the gel coat would react to the spray.
    But it worked - with an old toothbrush to get right into the corner of the rod holder.
    The product I used is called Glitz - Calcium Scale Rust. Available at the big hardware house.
    About $10.
    I made sure I hosed the area well after scrubbing with the toothbrush and I can’t see any negative effects on the gel coat.

Saltwater fishing, boat mad but has a job that gets in the way.
    EVO, just looking at the bottom screw in this pic and there appears to be rust stains there.

Yes Dignity it’s probably old bait and dirt and previous iterations of wd40 and inox lanolin and probably a bit of rust staining ha ha ha. I was mainly concerned about the rust stain on the gel coat whether it was soaked in or just on the surface. But it cleaned up well - the gelcoat that is.
    I’ll make sure I clean the screw, get the old toothbrush out again.
    This talk of a gasket has me thinking- dangerous ha ha.
    Maybe instead of a rubber gasket that is relatively soft, a thin section of hard plastic or Teflon would work better? I got a few cheap chopping boards for cleaning fish that are like plastic or Teflon, thin 3mm or so that could be cut and drilled into gaskets. But wouldn’t that idea only move the source of the staining 3 mm further away ? The staining would still weep onto the gelcoat wouldn’t it ?

EVO, too much effort for the same result, just as Scottar said, lots of goop followed by some maintenance usually works.

Thanks Dignity, that was my point in the last sentence, no matter if a soft gasket or a firmer gasket or goop was used the stain would still form. I want to fit another pair of rod holders at the bow end of my CC.
    I’ve had a look around and all of the examples of 30 degree rod holders I’ve found are all 304 stainless, even the so called premium models with drain barbs in the base. Maybe 316 is too brittle for the purpose. While looking I saw that spare rubber gaskets are easily available too.
    I give the whole boat a good rinse with lots of fresh water after every outing.
    Even with fittings made of 316 and polished with whatever wheel you choose I believe rust stains will still form over time.
    And regular maintenance/effort is the only way to keep on top of all this.
    There aren’t any short cuts only tools and procedures to make the task easier - like the spray I mentioned.

Hi. This interests me. I have a 2 m old boat and some of the hinges are starting to stain the gel coat. What shd I do besides cleaning with toothpaste. Shd I take out the hinge and sikaflex under them? Or change the screws to 316?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by SCTSCT View Post
    Hi. This interests me. I have a 2 m old boat and some of the hinges are starting to stain the gel coat. What shd I do besides cleaning with toothpaste. Shd I take out the hinge and sikaflex under them? Or change the screws to 316?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Both items

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    And make sure you never get it on your trailer. Strip the gal quick as you like....
    Ive not found this to be the case with the Oxalic acid based or Hydrochloric acid based stain removers with my 28 year old MacKay trailer, in fact I used the Oxalic acid to clean the stains on the trailer guards, just makes it look cleaner. Maybe it's the old school galvanising?