Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rust Stains on Fibreglass

Rust Stains on Fibreglass

Hi all, thought I’d share a success story that some may be interested in.
    Unfortunately I didn’t take a “before” shot, but I’m sure you know what the rust stains look like.
    I was careful not to overdo the spray application because I wasn’t sure how the gel coat would react to the spray.
    But it worked - with an old toothbrush to get right into the corner of the rod holder.
    The product I used is called Glitz - Calcium Scale Rust. Available at the big hardware house.
    About $10.
    I made sure I hosed the area well after scrubbing with the toothbrush and I can’t see any negative effects on the gel coat.

Saltwater fishing, boat mad but has a job that gets in the way.

Re: Rust Stains on Fibreglass

I use glitz glass cleaner, impressed with that too

Most of these products will definitely take the wax off and some of the polish so follow up all your hard work with some polish then wax. Also use a SS polish, it'll slow down the next rust spot.

Thanks for that tip Dignity, will do.

And make sure you never get it on your trailer. Strip the gal quick as you like. I would be removing and properly sealing the rod holder. If the water cant get in behind it, you shouldn't have rust issues.

Thanks scottar, what I did today was the rod holder on my bait board so I kept it well away from the boat and trailer. Good point about the trailer though,,,
    I’m not even sure but I guess there could be a rubber gasket under the steel surface of the rod holders ?

Probably a good concrete stripper too.

Ha ha ha I’ll keep that in mind.

G'day
    I was told recently that these sort issues are caused by chinese manufacturers using carborundum grinding wheels to grind of rough spots when they come out of a die. To fix them permanently, remove fitting and grind surface with aluminium oxide wheels (I find them much better anyway).
    Clean and fit with some sikaflex and no more rust stains.
    Not sure if true but mate pointed to fittings on his boat, only one without the rust stains was one that was made locally.
    I've used a few different products, CLR etc, currently using a Starbright product which works ok also
    Cheers
    Rod

All SS will rust if salt is allowed to stay on them, starts out as a stain but of left will eventually eat into the metal. Often it is the screws that cause the biggest issue as 304 is often used in ally boats due to it being less brittle than 316, very easy to sheer 316 threads and it only takes a speck of free floathing swage to start the ruse process. I do agree though to check everything is clean and surfaces are properly mated and sealed. Often due to stresses placed on the items will cause the sealant to part just enough for moisture to penetrative unseen and rod holders fall into this category. In the end vigilance, good cleaning practices and some polish is usually enough.

Rust stains on gel coat - Kevin Nicholls (Cruise Craft) told me,wait for it,tooth paste....works a treat.

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    All SS will rust if salt is allowed to stay on them, starts out as a stain but of left will eventually eat into the metal. Often it is the screws that cause the biggest issue as 304 is often used in ally boats due to it being less brittle than 316, very easy to sheer 316 threads and it only takes a speck of free floathing swage to start the ruse process. I do agree though to check everything is clean and surfaces are properly mated and sealed. Often due to stresses placed on the items will cause the sealant to part just enough for moisture to penetrative unseen and rod holders fall into this category. In the end vigilance, good cleaning practices and some polish is usually enough.
    I have a mate who is a sheety/boiler maker who used to do a lot of stainless work like benches etc for hospitals. He said 304 should have no issues with rust but will "tea stain" quicker than 316/medical grade stainless if not heavily polished. He reckons that the majority of rust coming on 304 screws/bolts comes from using non-stainless steel screw drivers etc when you install.the friction rubs off on the star and starts the rust.

getting quality stainless screw drivers/bits is another question.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

If it's mounted to another surface and not sealed the consequent water entry will cause crevice corrosion - the result being rust stain. Boat manufacturers seem to go pretty light on the sealant - not because the goop costs any huge amount of money IMO, but simply because of the man hours required to properly seal fittings on decks etc and then get it all clean and tidy - takes a lot of extra time compared to just a dob on the bolts or no sealant at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Lovey80 View Post
    I have a mate who is a sheety/boiler maker who used to do a lot of stainless work like benches etc for hospitals. He said 304 should have no issues with rust but will "tea stain" quicker than 316/medical grade stainless if not heavily polished. He reckons that the majority of rust coming on 304 screws/bolts comes from using non-stainless steel screw drivers etc when you install.the friction rubs off on the star and starts the rust.

getting quality stainless screw drivers/bits is another question.
    Just my imho but I suspect it is more to do with the heads of screws burring, SS burrs much quicker than other metals so swarf is left behind. I've often found rust stains on the floor soon after doing such work and it could only have come from the screws. Its the tiny little bits that seem to cause the problems.

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    If it's mounted to another surface and not sealed the consequent water entry will cause crevice corrosion - the result being rust stain. Boat manufacturers seem to go pretty light on the sealant - not because the goop costs any huge amount of money IMO, but simply because of the man hours required to properly seal fittings on decks etc and then get it all clean and tidy - takes a lot of extra time compared to just a dob on the bolts or no sealant at all.
    Scott, often with rod holders quite a few good rod holders provide a rubber seal, trouble is its often not enough and the stresses on them is quite high especially if trolling or a big fish hits it, over time even good sealant will let go.