Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weipa guides

Weipa guides

Hi All

Just wondering if anyone has used Alan Philiskirk's operation (Fish's Fly & Sportfishing)

Any feedback would be appreciated .

Also just anything general on fishing at Weipa (May/June) - what to take (gear etc)

I look forward to your feedback

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Re: Weipa guides

Fish is a true professional;. Suggest talk to the selected guide for answers to the rest.

Thanks Shooter

Fish has an outstanding reputation - hence why he is at the top of my list ...... I'll certainly be talking to him but as always it's really good to hear from those who have been on his charters

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

I don't know if you've seen these sorts of clips, but it might whet your appetite...

Quote Originally Posted by RayLamp View Post
    I don't know if you've seen these sorts of clips, but it might whet your appetite...

Just a few times

Weipa has been on my radar for nearly 30 years - but I really did want to get my own boat there
    Decided to bite the bullet & do a guided trip ...... if it ticks the box's then I might plan a house boat trip for 2019 - I doubt I will go through the angst & expense of getting my own boat there.

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    Hi All

Just wondering if anyone has used Alan Philiskirk's operation (Fish's Fly & Sportfishing)

Any feedback would be appreciated .

Also just anything general on fishing at Weipa (May/June) - what to take (gear etc)

I look forward to your feedback

Chris
    I have done a week long trip with Fish.
    Great experience, would do it again without any hesitations.
    We were a group of 12 fisherman. Fish organised a group accommodation unit for us, even had a personal chef.
    I caught over 50 spices of different fish on fly gear alone.
    Early during the day we stayed close to shore or river systems, midday is offshore for pelagic actions.

We had a different guide everyday, only 2 fisherman per boat.
    If you are in to fly fishing, make sure to ask for Ben aka Notso. He is a keen fisherman, marine biologist and great spotter.

I caught a massive cobia on fly under a mantaray, unbelievable experience.
    And a fish called Blue Bustard, apparently a prize catch which I had no idea about, thanks to Ben.
    Couldn't count the amount of golden travelly, queenfish, Spanish mackerel, tuna, bludger travelly, blue salmon and more

Take lots of white flies, at least 30 metal slugs, various top water lures pushers, pencil, etc..
    You will loose fair bit of gear.

Max

Quote Originally Posted by PROS View Post
    I have done a week long trip with Fish.
    Great experience, would do it again without any hesitations.
    We were a group of 12 fisherman. Fish organised a group accommodation unit for us, even had a personal chef.
    I caught over 50 spices of different fish on fly gear alone.
    Early during the day we stayed close to shore or river systems, midday is offshore for pelagic actions.

We had a different guide everyday, only 2 fisherman per boat.
    If you are in to fly fishing, make sure to ask for Ben aka Notso. He is a keen fisherman, marine biologist and great spotter.

I caught a massive cobia on fly under a mantaray, unbelievable experience.
    And a fish called Blue Bustard, apparently a prize catch which I had no idea about, thanks to Ben.
    Couldn't count the amount of golden travelly, queenfish, Spanish mackerel, tuna, bludger travelly, blue salmon and more

Take lots of white flies, at least 30 metal slugs, various top water lures pushers, pencil, etc..
    You will loose fair bit of gear.

Max
    Thanks Max .... that is a great reply ... great info. I didn’t really give too much thought to lures jigs and slugs yet but will now.
    The plan will be for 5 days fishing so the tackle count could be big 🙄

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

I have done regular yearly trips to Weipa for the last 15 years or so. Started with Dave Donald back in the day, have used Fish, but for the last 6 years or so we have used Weipa Sportsfishing, run by Lee Hodgetts. Fantastic boats, great knowledge and can cater to individual needs.That even have a crabbing boat if that takes your fancy.
    We generally fish 2-3 people per boat, heaps of room. He has up to 4 boats.
    I have stayed at the Alby on many a trip, but I reckon the best accommodation is the fishing lodge at the caravan park. Good rooms, private chef, only slightly dearer.This is our preferred choice these days.
    I could bore you with a thousand photos, but maybe another day.

Quote Originally Posted by MickS View Post
    I have done regular yearly trips to Weipa for the last 15 years or so. Started with Dave Donald back in the day, have used Fish, but for the last 6 years or so we have used Weipa Sportsfishing, run by Lee Hodgetts. Fantastic boats, great knowledge and can cater to individual needs.That even have a crabbing boat if that takes your fancy.
    We generally fish 2-3 people per boat, heaps of room. He has up to 4 boats.
    I have stayed at the Alby on many a trip, but I reckon the best accommodation is the fishing lodge at the caravan park. Good rooms, private chef, only slightly dearer.This is our preferred choice these days.
    I could bore you with a thousand photos, but maybe another day.
    thanks Mick ..... I have been in touch with Lee and he was the next cab off the rank. As you know both operations run multiple boats so ultimately it boils down to which skipper you end up with ..... I think this is where Fish has the edge when it comes to his team. .... by no means any negative reflection on Lee and it could have been a toss of the coin.
    As for accom we are staying at the lodge

chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

With your record with boat trailers Nagg, a FIFO guided trip is a good idea. Let us know if you go ahead with this trip, we're planning to be somewhere up there next dry season.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Roo View Post
    With your record with boat trailers Nagg, a FIFO guided trip is a good idea. Let us know if you go ahead with this trip, we're planning to be somewhere up there next dry season.

Hey Rod

It's locked & loaded ...... 27th May - 2nd June (fishing Mon-Fri)

Agree totally on the trailer stuff ...... that comes from not driving like Miss Daisy . I could only imagine what the POS bit of road would do ?
    The other part is ..... I'd have to get a boat & motor cover made - That's half my trip costs for something that might get used once a year (less these days)

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    Hey Rod

It's locked & loaded ...... 27th May - 2nd June (fishing Mon-Fri)

Agree totally on the trailer stuff ...... that comes from not driving like Miss Daisy . I could only imagine what the POS bit of road would do ?
    The other part is ..... I'd have to get a boat & motor cover made - That's half my trip costs for something that might get used once a year (less these days)

Chris
    Cool bananas. We're gonna have to treat ourselves to a charter eventually so I can get a boat fishin' fix. I reckon Weipa makes sense as the calmer western cape waters shouldn't upset Kims landlubber tummy.

Quote Originally Posted by Roo View Post
    Cool bananas. We're gonna have to treat ourselves to a charter eventually so I can get a boat fishin' fix. I reckon Weipa makes sense as the calmer western cape waters shouldn't upset Kims landlubber tummy.

It's a bit calmer on the western side .... no doubt

While I'm there - I'm going to check out Weipa house boats ....... If it is as good as I imagine , I'd do another FIFO stay on the house boat & hire one of their tinnies (which don't look too bad)

That might be a 2019 option ...... or PNG

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

hey Nagg, I'll be there 3 weeks before you. I may leave a few fish for your lot....lol
    That live aboard boat going down to the Archer is getting lots of good reviews.

Cheers

Mick

Quote Originally Posted by MickS View Post
    hey Nagg, I'll be there 3 weeks before you. I may leave a few fish for your lot....lol
    That live aboard boat going down to the Archer is getting lots of good reviews.

Cheers

Mick
    Hi Mick ... do you have a link ?
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO