Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Would inside edge wear on both trailer tyres indicate bent axel?

Would inside edge wear on both trailer tyres indicate bent axel?

Have a Dunbier boat trailer,
    Each year I travel from Adelaide to Lucinda, about 6000km turn around and noticed just before returning home, both tyres were wearing on the inside edge of both tyres, (single axel)
    Was thinking bent axel?
    Although most of the heavy items travel in the ute, quiet a bit of gear goes in the boat, should be well within limits but still heavier than the normal local trip to the nearest boat ramp
    The boat is a Allison 4.95 Side console
    20140216__04851_© Gary Worrall_Boat Images.jpg

Re: Would inside edge wear on both trailer tyres indicate bent axel?

Cant imagine its anything other than a bent axle. Draw a series of lines across each tyre with chalk tow the boat around the block and see where the chalk is removed should be the inside of each tyre. Rotate the axle on the axle plates 180 degrees and repeat the chalk test, should rub the chalk off the outside this time. Leaving the axle in this position may bring it back right but the test would indicate that the axle is bent and may need replacing and maybe with a heavier rated one.

If you are using one of those over the boat tie down straps that can be cranked up very tight and its located on the trailer frame just behind the axle insure it is not over tightened after the boat is loaded for your trip. The picture shown in your post would indicate to me the trailer would be adequate for the boat and motor package.

Mark

Tks Mark,
    Don't have tie the "over the boat" tie downs, just 2 at the rear on the transom,
    Last year the roads along the way were very poor due to the flooding, pot holes etc
    Will research if Dunbier sell heavier axles
    .........Gary

Quote Originally Posted by GLXMAN View Post
    Tks Mark,
    Don't have tie the "over the boat" tie downs, just 2 at the rear on the transom,
    Last year the roads along the way were very poor due to the flooding, pot holes etc
    Will research if Dunbier sell heavier axles
    .........Gary
    Gary you don't have to use a Dunbier axle if its required there are plenty of trailer component resellers in the Brisbane area axles are cheap.

Mark

Hi Mark
    Just got off the phone to a repair guy who does trailers for pro's down our SE, (Robe)
    I'm about 3000km from Brisbane unfortunately,
    I will take a drive an get a quote, for local work he thinks the standard axle is OK but the trip each year of 3000km to Lucinda should be supported by a solid axle
    Its a couple hundred km away but it should be better work than local, Ive already thrown $2000 at the trailer and hasn't really solved the problems
    Actually got my Motor serviced in QLD before I left, saved $200 already.........If you own a boat, QLD is the place to be
    ........Gary

yeah it could just be flex. just buy a big solid axle and chaange.

Quote Originally Posted by myusernam View Post
    yeah it could just be flex. just buy a big solid axle and chaange.
    Tks, thats the plan, hopefully we can get it sorted
    ........Gary

If it is axle flex then you can weld a stiffener across the top of the axle between the clamps, many trailers used to have them years ago.

40mm x 10mm flat bar on its side or similar.

Welding is on the upper surface of the axle so no weld stress issues, it is all under compression up there not in tension.

Hadn't thought of that, actually starting to look like flex as when the boat was unloaded, the wheels are starting to become vertical again
    A lot will depend on the quote for a solid axle
    Hope to make the trip for a quote in a week or 2
    .......Gary

25mm x 25mm x5mm steel angle top and bottom as wide as possible. But if your axle is flexing that much it must be underrated to the weight your putting in the boat.

I totally agree, hopefully we get sorted

Ok they are wearing on the inside more than the outside.......how many km will it take to wear them out?
    How long will it take to wear them out?
    If you are thinking 5 years for a set of tyres for replacement, the cost involved in treating the problem will probably take 3 sets of tyres.

AVOID welding anything to your axle.

If the axle is badly underweight for the trailer and load then take it up with the manufacturer, they should not have offered you a trailer with an underweight axle.
    Jack.

Tks Jack,
    Pretty much, 2 years for a set of tyres, that is, 2 trips from Adelaide to Lucinda,
    First trip wasn't too bad but the tyre wear increased this trip to the extent I needed to replace them
    Bout the boat 6 years ago, all was OK until I did the long hauls up north and, with a load in the boat
    .......Gary

Quote Originally Posted by tunaticer View Post
    Ok they are wearing on the inside more than the outside.......how many km will it take to wear them out?
    How long will it take to wear them out?
    If you are thinking 5 years for a set of tyres for replacement, the cost involved in treating the problem will probably take 3 sets of tyres.

AVOID welding anything to your axle.

If the axle is badly underweight for the trailer and load then take it up with the manufacturer, they should not have offered you a trailer with an underweight axle.

I am interested in your comment "AVOID welding anything to the axle"

What concerns you about welding an upper brace in compression? The axle tube is low carbon steel and has the stubs welded in the ends.

Darren

Mr Bean can you explain how it is only in compression. Surely flex is going to create both tension and compression along a beam.