Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Would inside edge wear on both trailer tyres indicate bent axel?

Re: Would inside edge wear on both trailer tyres indicate bent axel?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr__Bean View Post
    I am interested in your comment "AVOID welding anything to the axle"

What concerns you about welding an upper brace in compression? The axle tube is low carbon steel and has the stubs welded in the ends.

Darren
    Unless you get the work certified your insurance can and will wipe you.

Bottom line is that if the axle is not up to the loads on the trailer which was suited to the boat then the onus falls on the vendor for not supplying a suitable trailer.
    Jack.

Quote Originally Posted by PixieAU View Post
    Mr Bean can you explain how it is only in compression. Surely flex is going to create both tension and compression along a beam.
    For as long as the wheels are on the ground the upper surface of the axle is under compression.

You are right, the axle will flex. But when flexing the upper surface will go from relaxed to compressed, to relaxed, to compressed, to relaxed etc.

Under normal condition that axle would carry a static load around 700Kgs (guess), up to about 1100Kgs in a bump situation. If the wheels come completely off the road, and they will at times, then the axle is lifting the wheels and brakes which would be about 20Kg.

700 to 1100Kg verses about 20Kg.

i hope that makes sense.

Darren

For as long as the wheels are on the ground the upper surface of the axle is under compression.

You are right, the axle will flex. But when flexing the upper surface will go from relaxed to compressed, to relaxed, to compressed, to relaxed etc.

Under normal condition that axle would carry a static load around 700Kgs (guess), up to about 1100Kgs in a bump situation. If the wheels come completely off the road, and they will at times, then the axle is lifting the wheels and brakes which would be about 20Kg.

700 to 1100Kg verses about 20Kg.

i hope that makes sense.

Darren
    Ok, I understand what you're describing. Wouldn't there be tension on the weld between the bar and the axle in the middle, where the axle is bending. Otherwise, if you're assuming the bar is bending along the same profile as the axle then it's really not doing anything.

surely..take the path that has a known outcome that fixes your problem.....no need to experiment as such

Oh #### me.....

i give up.

Oh #### me.....

i give up.
    I would too, plenty of people have done this with success, if your axle is in good condition and your handy on a welder you can rectify the problem easy with me beans suggestion.

It all depends on how much money you want to throw at it if the boat is secondhand and out of warranty, different story of new but I would suspect that they will tell you that you are over loading the boat anyway so they will wipe there hands of it.

There is not experimenting as the caravan boys have done this for years.

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish mobile app
    560c Bar Crusher "Overtime"

I'm a little curious on the overloading theory. The boat looks like any other 5m size boat, has a normal size engine, and the trailer looks the right size for it. if the boat/motor is too heavy, wouldn't the springs sag out first.
    I have a 5m aluminium boat with a 90hp on a redco trailer, i have no axle flex issue, even with a load in it. I have never heard of anyone having this problem. Also, i haven't seen a hollow axle with welded on stubs on a boat trailer for ages, they are all solid. I'd put money on the Dunbier trailer having a solid axle!

I think you need to remember that the boat is used to transport holiday gear over a long distance, it's probably perfectly fine for the boat and motor on their own, to and from the ramp, but, loaded with extra gear, it's just over the top for the running gear.

Hi Eric
    I can guarantee that the axel is hollow RHS,
    Having a look over on the dunbier website, I see they also sell both RHS axles and also solid axels,
    I purchased the boat new about 7 years ago, I guess for the price, that meant coming with the cheap trailer option
    Something I would not have even thought about at the time
    We only learn from experience!
    ........Gary

ok, i stand corrected. personally i only ever see solid axles these days for sale, and every boat/box trailer i've owned have all been solid.
    i know it will cost, but maybe you could get a double axle cradle for your trailer!

Hi Eric,
    Im sure now that the boat was advertised at price that included an "average" trailer,
    For most, I guess, for a trip to the local boat ramp, it will be fine
    For somebody asking "what options should I look for in buying a new boat" ?
    The answer now would include the viability of the trailer that comes with the boat
    ...........Gary

wondering if the solid axle has a higher weight loading. might be worth the experiment if it is?

Just had a look at the Dunbier catalog and they do not give weight ratings, they just give the width

Where are you/ Have a look at http://www.activefabrications.com.au/ anyhow very informative site and great prices and service. Be less hassle to purchase a 50mm square axle and u bolts to suit than to reinforce existing axle.
    Cheers
    Ray

Hi Ray,
    I live in SA but just happen to go to Lucinda each year for the fishing and weather,
    I am getting a quote soon from a marine engineer that builds and fixes professional trailers,
    Spoke to him the other day and he is aware of the Dunbier problem
    .......Gary