Thread: First chop deep drop

First chop deep drop

Hi all

i went out of the seaway on Sunday with my mate Clint, for our first go at deep drop fishing.

We headed out to a mark we were given in 280m
    have a dozen drops before we managed to get everything right, and avoided the green eyes, and we loaded up with some good weight. About 100m up from the bottom, we lost the lot. Investigation found the top crimp on the premise rig failed.

Re rigged, including recrimping everything on the new rig, any down we went again. Immediately loaded up, this time a nice bar cod surfaced. Smiles all round.

Re baited, and dropped again, loaded up quickly again, and we hit the retrieve button. Half way up, Clints brand new reel went blank, and gave up. So hand winding it was. A couple of sub outs, and a bigger cod was in the ice box.

Thehe dead reel called for the end of the deep, so we stopped at few shallow spots I he way home for only a few tailor.

Very happy with with the first trip, to say we learnt a lot is an understatement.
    The reel was a downer, but I'm sure warranty will come in to play.

So now I'm in the market for an electric, what should I go for?
    might steer clear of the CX-4 for obvious reasons.

Thanks for advice.
    Rob

PS- fish went 10 and 14kg.
    Attached Thumbnails - Click to enlarge Attached Thumbnails - Click to enlarge Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3654.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	80.4 KB 
ID:	116378  

Re: First chop deep drop

Well done Rob, good effort for your first crack!

How do you like the taste of the cod?

Cheers
    jim

Hi Jim

only had one meal thus far, and the missus over cooked it big time. I think the firmer flesh through her.
    Taste was fair, but over cooked fish has its limits.

A mate fan fried some in garlic butter this week, rated it highly.

How do you rate it mate? I

Hey Rob, reckon thats a real good effort for a first outing. I've heard from several sources that the bar cod are real good eating but yet to try it myself.
    A mate & I have just started using Tanacom 1000 electrics ... cost abt $900 with 80lb braid from Tweed Tackle & Marine ... easy to use & seem to do the job ... gave a 19kg ambo the reel 'come hear ... now'
    We blooded them on a recent 1770 trip .... no more pump & winding 24 oz leads in 80m plus .... woohoo
    cheers Mal

Attachment 116420
    Haines Hunter 650 'Horizon' 200 4st Johnson (aka Suk DF200) call sign "Dozer" or "Uripper"

Hey Rob,

I found it an acquired taste, and no doubt different recipe's helped too.

First time I tried it I thought it was very average, but it's grown on me.

I find it a nice bit of variety to the snapper, pearlies and kingies...

Hope you get out again soon

jim

Well done on your first crack Rob. Mate I leave my Barries on ice for 6-7 days and continually drain the esky by taking the bung out at the end of the day. I find when I fillet the fish the flesh is 100% softer but still firm and theres no snot or slime at all. I also cut the fillets pretty thin and no one ever complains they are good!!! No doubt you've got the bug now and there in plague proportions of here so I'm sure there will be plenty more experimenting over your next few trips.. Good luck

Thanks Keith.
    Are the flames ect slimie as well?
    What reels are you bloke using?

cheers

Na mate flames are good and no slime.

Mate i I have a few different types of reels I use. Mega twin 1000 I find are great if your doing a few trips here and there up to say 350mtrs. These reels are really good in the 200mtr stuff.

i have a couple of Deep drop commercial winches that I prefer.