Thread: Women's Offshore Combo Recommendations

Ausfish Bronze Member

Women's Offshore Combo Recommendations

G'day,

Christmas is fast approaching, and I am wanting to buy the missus her very own offshore combo mainly for reef fishing. She isn't a fan of lures (unless trolling hardbodies for spanish) and prefers just dropping a paternoster down, bottom bashing. Something that could handle a good trout on the end at 40m but isnt too heavy. The only thing that stops her at times is a pre-existing wrist injury and fatigue from holding heavy gear all day (penn 950ss penn 24kg, pflueger 080SW 37kg ugly, TLD25 24kg combos) but she is keen as they come!

I have seen blokes picking up 10-15kg ugly sticks or carbon or something for their misso, and throwing 50 braid on a 6000-8000 reel, because the girls are less likely to high stick or muscle in a snap, but I am not sure how this has been going on in the long run. Any guidance is appreciated!! Happy to throw a few bucks at it, she isn't as heavy fisted as me, and will looke after it.

Tight lines!!!

Re: Women's Offshore Combo Recommendations

Look at a Saltist ld30 or 40, very lightweight, Then match it to a gary howard G force rod 15kg or similar

Very light overall and still has amazing stopping power, High speed reel allows varied use for trolling or bottom bashing or jigging.

G'day
    My wife uses a penn spinfisher combo for bottom bashing 120 - 150 ft of water paternoster and 10 to 16oz of lead. 8-10kg rod and 850ssm reel and 50lb braid.
    For tuna to 30kg she uses same reel setup on a 10-15kg rod and a belt bucket, non gimble type. Maybe your wife would find a belt helpful?
    I bought my wife a whiting/flathead combo for mothers day :-)

Cheers
    Rod

Saragosa 8000 with 50lb braid on a Live fibre 6'6" 10-15kg spin rod

Graphite rod like a

Nitro Godzilla Spin (http://www.compleatanglermoonta.com....-spin-rod.aspx) or

Samurai Elevate 7' 20-30lb (https://www.tacklewarehouse.com.au/samurai-elevate.html)

with a Saragosa 6000SW, 30lb braid is plenty depending on the structure you are fishing

Pretty much a graphite rod with a smaller reel. If you're on a budget i'd buy a cheaper rod and a better reel.

Blog Entries

I got my missus a 15-30lb Terez with 30lb braid. It’s light enough for her to use all day and no matter what she hooks she can put as much hurt on a fish as she wants the rod will handle it
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ausfish Bronze Member

Thanks heaps for your replies. Sorry, I was busy buying the misso's setup! jk.. So taking into account some info given by you, I got her to have a play with a Saragosa, 8 and 10000, Penn SSm and SpinfisherV, Pfleuger Salt and Daiwa Saltist and BG on a few rods like terez, gforce, and a samaki (can't remember model). Turns out she liked the Pflueger Salt 060SW (spooled with 50lb Daiwa J-Brad 8strand multi-colour) and the Shimano Maikuro 15-24kg Rod. Usually, she likes the expensive stuff, but I am not complaining. I'll let you know after she hooks up something decent! Thanks.

Ausfish Bronze Member

Quote Originally Posted by Funchy View Post
    I got my missus a 15-30lb Terez with 30lb braid. It’s light enough for her to use all day and no matter what she hooks she can put as much hurt on a fish as she wants the rod will handle it
    Awesome fish. I wish we had those up here!!!

Women's Offshore Combo Recommendations

My wife has a baby tyrnos 8 with 30lb braid on a live fibre texalium 8-10kg (I think). Handle is off a tyrnos 10, so a bit extra cranking power. Rod was a factory second, so pretty cheap. Set up is closer to a baitcasrer, 30lb will drag her in before if breaks.

Landed a just on 1m amberjack without much grief, at least for the rod. She was buggered after!

Light gear will sdal with big fish, so I think smallest is best to keep them happier.