Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hervey Bay

Re: Hervey Bay

Hi all,

The boat has previously had a transducer on the transom and I would rather not drill new holes. I have attached a photo of the penetration thru the hull and am hoping that someone will recognise the cable cover or hull penetration that would screw into the three holes that are already there. As I may leave the transducer there (semi-) permanently, I aim to fit it right the first time.

Maybe this? https://www.roadtechmarine.com.au/ve...-40mm/p/MHI015

thanks,

Ron
    PA140001.jpg

Ron
    Loc: Bundaberg
    B1: Yalta Craft 2200 Fisherman + Suzuki DF150
    B2: Quintrex 430 Fishabout + E-Tech 40

Ausfish Platinum Member bigjimg's Avatar

G'day Ron a clam type cover as like the one in the link.
    https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=i&r...10473054323061

The void is filled with a marine sealant once the installation is completed. Jim
    Haines Signature "FinaLeigh" 580F 135 Optimax
    CH 81 & 72 VHF

Hi Ron
    just wondering how the yalta 2200 and 150 combo is working for you , have the same rig myself but with a 15.25 x 20P prop (four blade)
    didn't think you would get 5800rpm with the 21P so i think you have got a good 150 there.( i tried a 21P and could only get 5600.)
    recently added some new 150ltr eskies which fit neat under the seats.

Happy to keep in contact and trade notes , or maybe even do a tag along trip one weekend.

BigE
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by BigE View Post
    Hi Ron
    just wondering how the yalta 2200 and 150 combo is working for you , have the same rig myself but with a 15.25 x 20P prop (four blade)
    didn't think you would get 5800rpm with the 21P so i think you have got a good 150 there.( i tried a 21P and could only get 5600.)
    recently added some new 150ltr eskies which fit neat under the seats.

Happy to keep in contact and trade notes , or maybe even do a tag along trip one weekend.

BigE
    Hi BigE, I am happy with the motor on this boat. I am not an old salt, so I probably just don't know better. To me, its got plenty of power and gets the boat moving quickly. I can get around 65kph if I screw her right up, but why? Most of the time it will not be glassy smooth for that sort of run anyway.

The hull does really cut through chop quite well, meaning that I can travel much more comfortably than in the previous Whittley.

I am really impressed with the amount of deck space that the Yalta has given us and the fact that sleeping in the cabin does not require contortion training. It does mean that Karen and I can go offshore a few days and do some island hopping etc.

If I had 150lt eskies then I would just be depressed as most of the time they would spend their lives being empty!

I have finished installing the anchor winch as I posted elsewhere. I put the Yalta in the Burnett and tested it out and it did tend to jam up, so I swapped the rode out for 100m 6mm double braided nylon and 8m of 6mm chain. This leaves a lot more margin for badly wrapped rode before becoming a problem.

I was all set for an off-shore run based on weather reports a week or so ago - 1-1.5m swell and 10kts wind. Got to the ramp and it was blowing pretty well and the swell and chop was well up. Pushed out a bit but it was not enjoyable, so went back up into the Burnett. The weather reporting here is pretty ordinary!

I also have fitted the P66 transducer which I also tested out while I was on the water. I could not replicate the problem I experienced on the Bay, but I guess thats the problem with intermittent faults. I will leave the sounder plugged in to the B60 until I see a problem and then try swapping to the P66. At least I have a backup transducer now - if it turns out to be a transducer problem. I do have my suspicion that it is a transucer problem.

Always happy to trade notes. Happy to maybe tag along one weekend as well!

Ron

Ron, just make sure your sounder is switched off before changing transducers, I know the P66 can blow the speed electronics if switching while live.

Sam

Yes, will do. Good advice.

... Ron via mobile

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald2boats View Post

An update on the anchor.

I weighed the anchor today and it comes in at around 10kg. If you add the chain, it comes 17kg. Given that the 300mm styrofoam ball only displaces 14 litres of water the problem becomes obvious. I think I will tackle the anchoring on two fronts:

1. I will buy an inflatable float such as https://www.roadtechmarine.com.au/te...ia-mm/p/MAE242 which should give around 28kg of lift.
    2. I will buy a 12/13mm reef anchor for temporary anchoring for reef fishing (rather than the mooloolaba pick).

Pity I didn't see this link earlier, I just bought one of these inflatable floats from Whitworths, my anchor is about the same weight as yours but my chain in 8mm so it is heavier than yours, when I went to pick it up, their smallest float looked too small so went with the medium sized float (450mm x 620mm $66.95), but that is one big float to have lying around on the deck. The one that you linked to would have probably been the right size and I could have save a quite a bit of cash as well, looking on the bright side at least I won't have any issues with it sinking!