Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TDL 25 Line capacity?

Smile TDL 25 Line capacity?

Hi Guys,
    Was looking at FinNor but got a voucher for BCF, budget now saying TDL 25,
    Wondering what is the best braid option? Looks like a huge amount of braid!
    Do you guys spool with 50/50 braid/mono?
    or
    Just spool the reel with braid only, if so, what lb and how much?
    Starting to look like braid could cost more than the reel!
    ........Gary

Re: TDL 25 Line capacity?

Most nearly everyone uses a 'top shot' of braid on TLD's.If you are wanting to fill one with braid I would go with a thicker offering in 40/50 lbs to maybe save your thumb a bit and be prepared to pay for a minimum 1000 metres.....probably more.

Ausfish Bronze Member

Yeah mate, I second banshee, my TLD20 was spooled with 500m of 50lb braid and 50m of mono filler, and the TLD25 would be about 30% bigger.

Quote Originally Posted by Toygut View Post
    Yeah mate, I second banshee, my TLD20 was spooled with 500m of 50lb braid and 50m of mono filler, and the TLD25 would be about 30% bigger.
    Yep.......A 20 would be a far better choice if using braid,exactly the same reel as the 25 (mechanically) just narrower and a lot easier to lay the line back on.

Tks Banshee,
    Actually starting to lean towards the TLD 20,
    I'm primarily a saltwater fly fisho but go to Lucinda each year for a few months,
    My friends have been doing quite well with Spaniards trolling around Pelorus island, got into a 15kg spotted this trip on the wife's rod

So I decided to bring my Shimano Calcutta heavy 6' 6" 6-10kg rod with me next May but really needed a better reel,
    Perhaps a TLD 20 might be a better choice?
    ........Gary

Ausfish Bronze Member Marchy001's Avatar

I have a TLD20 on a trolling rod which I put 500m of 50lb braid onto used it for a while and it was fine. However I took it off after a bit and filled with 40lb mono as I only used it for trolling lures. No change in amount of hookups but landed considerably more fish using mono. I think due to the low ratio of the reel low stretch of braid I was unable to keep pressure on the fish. Mono is slightly more forgiving in this area.

If it was getting used for bottom bashing as well as trolling then I would have stuck with braid.

Just my experience.

Cheers

Marchy.

Much appreciated Marchy,
    Will only be trolling with this rig so I will go the mono route starting out,
    The next decision will be which TLD? ,
    .........Gary

Yep agree that if using only for trolling go the mono option for sure. A TLD 20 holds 700m of 10kg mono from memory so more than enough even if you stepped up to 15kg.
    I would consider a TLD15 simply because it is lighter (probably cheaper) and will land any size macko you will encounter. 10kg line is heaps unless you have shark issues (common up here) in which case 15kg will give you a better chance. Still, when the sharks are thick nothing gets em in quick enough.

Quote Originally Posted by GLXMAN View Post
    Tks Banshee,
    Actually starting to lean towards the TLD 20,
    I'm primarily a saltwater fly fisho but go to Lucinda each year for a few months,
    My friends have been doing quite well with Spaniards trolling around Pelorus island, got into a 15kg spotted this trip on the wife's rod

So I decided to bring my Shimano Calcutta heavy 6' 6" 6-10kg rod with me next May but really needed a better reel,
    Perhaps a TLD 20 might be a better choice?
    ........Gary
    You could just swing by my place on your way up north and borrow one of my TLD25's for a test run to see if it's suitable.

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    You could just swing by my place on your way up north and borrow one of my TLD25's for a test run to see if it's suitable.
    Much appreciated Noel but I have a reasonable gift voucher burning a hole in my pocket! there is a sale on the 18th as well
    Besides, I'm 72 years old, purchase now is more important!
    What do you think of the TLD 25?
    Do you use mono?
    Why did you select the TLD 20 instead of the TLD25?

I have a few TLD 25's, I got them for visitors and kids to use, mainly because they are pretty light compared to Tiagras and Internationals, plenty of good fish been caught on them, from decent Kingfish to Marlin, all have 15KG mono on them and are still going OK after a few years of no maintenance!

OH, I forgot, I got the 25 because I wanted to run 15 KG line.

Thank you Noel,
    Yes, a friend has 3 top Shimano's when trolling but my fly rods keep me poor so the economy O/H reels are the go at the moment,
    15KG line sounds good,
    Do you have any preference to brand of mono?

No, I just buy whatever I can get at a decent price, most line is pretty good these days and on those reels it lasts for ages because they only get used now and then.

Tks Mate,
    Wednesday is the day,
    Tks for all your help, certainly a more informed choice now
    .........Gary