Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Basic fibreglass question

Basic fibreglass question

The main purpose of what I’m thinking about doing is to secure the fire extinguisher in an easy to get to position and not have it a bump hazard.

I’ve got a centre console and thought the position in the image below would be good.

I could get a purpose built extinguisher bracket but I still have the same dilemma of not wanting screw tips poking deckside. I have a few of these mushroom head fasteners that I’ve used elsewhere in the boat successfully and thought I would continue with them, they seem good enough.
    I think they are meant to be auto bonnet clips, if used in a pair they can hold two sides of anything with a thick rubber o-ring.

So, if I screw on of these clips inside my console the screw tip will protrude deckside and nobody wants that.

Is it a simple task to fibreglass down some sort of a hook fitting ? It would be inside the console/helm.
    I’m guessing scrape away the top gel coat then use a few small sections of fibreglass Matt, then lay the Matt and resin into place fastening the stainless hook into position.

Does this sound like a good idea.

The idea in the image is the hook would be fibreglassed on the inside arrow position to the left and the mushroom head can be screwed in place on the outside arrow position to the right.

Then a thick rubber oring would hold the extinguisher in position.

Thanks
    Jamie

Saltwater fishing, boat mad but has a job that gets in the way.

Re: Basic fibreglass question

This is the bonnet clip and rubber oring in use as a hatch clip so you get the idea of my crap description ha ha.

Score up the glass with coarse sandpaer or dremel etc and use epoxy to attach some kind of fasterner, no need for glass mat etc. Or I would use sikaflex personally, then you can get it off if you change your mind on location one day. I used sika to fasten down ply (Epoxy soaked and coated) to mount batteries onto to avoud drilling holes through the floor and they haven't budged!

On last boat I used the type of thing in your pic but in rough weather the extinguiser was always coming out, do you have the orginal mounting bracket?

Why not just get the proper recessed holder and cut it in from the outside? easy to fit, have a see through door and look nice and neat.

OH!, and of course you could simply use small nuts and bolts so the heads are on the outside!

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    OH!, and of course you could simply use small nuts and bolts so the heads are on the outside!
    Thanks Noel, I was trying to be a bit tricky and have no bolt heads on the outside of the fibreglass console structure. I know and agree it would be the simplest way about it. I guess a round head bolt would do the job.

I’ll search for the recessed bracket you mentioned too. I’ve only come across the wall mount style brackets.

You need to look at one of these fire extinguisher boxes, they are perfect for what you want.
    v2-28524.jpg

Yep, that's the one, I fitted one in my boat, but mine had a clear door, took about half an hour, all finished like a pro.

Yes ! I like the look of a those. Thanks Aussie. I guess that’s what Noel mentions too.
    Probably the best idea, cut a hole and screw it in, job done.

Box Specifications

Mount Screws: 4mm c/s
    Overall Size: 485mm x 220mm x 140mm
    Cut Out: 155mm x 425mm
    For Extinguisher: 2kg

transparent cover one

Quote Originally Posted by dnej View Post
    transparent cover one
    Yes I think the clear door is more appropriate. Just have to get one that’s suited to a 2.3kg extinguisher.
    Think I’ll have to ring around.
    Thanks all.

Jamie

Drill through from inside. Go to outside and countersink. You'll end up with two need little countersunk drew heads in the area you're worried about.

Update,
    I went to a major marine supplier today, apart from below average inter-personal skills of some senior sales staff, I found the clear door extinguisher box and see that it still requires the extinguisher to be mounted (with a bracket) inside the box.
    All I really want is the bracket - then I can either screw it in position or glass the bracket into position as my OP suggested.
    I went to 5 different places from caravan spares, to auto spares to tool and worksite safety shops. I even went to a big name hardware place. No joy.
    It’s probably going to be cheaper to spent $45-$50 on a new 2.3 kg extinguisher that comes with a bracket.
    For such a simple need some tasks get way too complex.

Basic fibreglass question

Job done.
    No bracket required.
    I used a sika putty product to bond a stainless pad eye onto the inside fibreglass wall of the helm, so no bolt holes on the outside, it holds very well.
    The extinguisher is easily accessible and out of the way.
    I use a polyurethane band like an o-ring that holds the extinguisher in place. Already tested it bouncing around on the water for a few hours and it doesn’t budge.