Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Yamaha motor support when on trailer?

Re: Yamaha motor support when on trailer?

Is the ram too big Gary?

Cheers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Boat: Seafarer Vagabond
    Live: Great South East....love Moreton Bay fishing

Single ram tilts are fixed top and bottom so you can't slide a roller over it to support the motor. You need the half round profile so you can clip into the shaft rather than having an open end to slide over.

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums

Thanks mate. I didn't realise that.

Cheers

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

2 mins in the shed with a handsaw or cut off wheel will cut out a slit for it.
    Kids who Hunt and Fish, Don't Deal and Steal.

The original post expressed concern about the load on the transom while travelling. Blocking the tilt cylinders won’t take the load off the transom, all they do provide a mechanical stop to the tilt cylinder travel as opposed to hydraulic lock stopping the movement, preventing the engine drifting down due to internal or external oil leakage.
    In my mind if the engine is centred over the top of the transom & then blocked into position travelling down the road should exert the least force on the transom, is this assumption correct? Has anyone ever cracked or bent a transom due to the outboard not being supported? Is it even worth worrying about?

When boat trailers typically had keep rollers you would sometimes see a steel (rubber lined) bracket that would attach to the rear of the trailer to the bottom rear of the gear box. I use the trailer roller on a tilt tube to lessen the shock on the motor and rams when trailering (I used to use the little bracket on the outboard but it's not the best idea). If transom is fit for purpose the motor tilted up trailering should be no sweat. Cheers

Yamaha should supply a support gizmo free of charge with every new motor purchased, without the gizmo their motors are not fit for purpose for the majority of people.

Do other manufacturers supply a support? Cheers

One does have a proper travel bracket yes.

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums
    560c Bar Crusher "Overtime"

Interesting. You see 90 per cent of motors on the support bracket or on rams. Cheers

Old dogs and new tricks eh, Scott! Ive been around boats for 50 years and just found out about the rubber roller trick on the tilt ram. A mate just followed me 3000 klm nth then showed me his motor support. So easy.

How about this?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ADJUSTABLE-...-W9BSQ&vxp=mtr

One end holds the lower unit and the other end goes to the trailer - usually the back central roller. However, there is no bend in this, so I wonder if it will clear.