Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hot water pump upgrade?

Hot water pump upgrade?

Hey all, I have a gas hot water system for camping that has a 6 litre a minute pump on it. Can I upgrade the pump to a 10 or 12lt a minute to increase the pressure for a shower rose as now it's barely useable? Will the system still regulate the flow to 6 litres a minute?
    Any info would be appreciated?
    Cheers

Re: Hot water pump upgrade?

Have you tried a reducer valve in the shower rose, might give you better pressure. Take one out of your house shower and try it, if it doesn't do anything, nothing lost.

Yeah the shower rose has a reducer but there is hardly any water flow to create any pressure. Cheers

What about removing it.

If I take the rose off and have a bare hose there is not that much flow. Enough to wash up and have a coffee ect but not enough to shower with.

what brand is it

I have no idea what brand it is. There is no form of print on it whatsoever? It works great, just not enough for a shower?

Quote Originally Posted by scrotty View Post
    If I take the rose off and have a bare hose there is not that much flow. Enough to wash up and have a coffee ect but not enough to shower with.
    Remove the reducer valve, not the rose.

The reducer valve is part of the rose. I have completely removed the reducer and the rose and it makes no difference.

Does it look similar to this

Yep just no brand

You need to have a pimp that puts out about 500 litres per hour.

We used to run ours through the 4wd heating system, it ran around 5 litres an hour as we would generally get a good 4 minute shower out of a 20 litre drum. Places we would camp up around Jeanne River and such we could always tap into water seepage and we'd each fill our own drums during the day,

Scrotty, maybe the pump has had it,the reducer valve is usually a plastic insert and can be prised loose from the rose.

Thanks for the advise guys. I have bought a new pump. I'll give that a crack and see how it goes? Cheers

biggest problem with those portable hot water systems is they are restricted to 35MJ/hr (from memory) as they are a portable gas appliance. That means, if you run too much water through them, they dont get a chance to heat it to a decent temperature because the flame is not big enough, so you have to reduce the flow of water.

In saying that, my hottap uses a 6lpm pump and it has plenty of pressure for a camp shower