Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Outboard vibration through boat??

Re: Outboard vibration through boat??

In answer to the above - have removed all extra bits from the boat and will go for a lap before the first service in two weeks and let the dealer take a look.
    Unfortunately, at this early stage I think they will get a little suss if they get the motor in and I've been removing props and mucking around, so at least they will get to see it as I have found it initially. There's not a single flake of paint off the engine or prop as yet, so if anything, could only be a balance issue and I'd love them to see it that way. Still surprised that SOLAS tends to think that Suzi props are just mickey mouse and that they couldn't better. Good thing I guess!!

looking forward to some answers for this problem seb as i just replaced my yam 60 with a second hand suzuki 80 and on the first trip was wondering why the motor wasn't as smooth as the yamaha and also seemed to have a bit of a howl to it as well as vibration ,the motor only has 12 hrs on it and like you was looking for the cause in the boat .
    a transom plate was added whereas the yamaha was bolted direct to the transom but thats the only change.

So it's not just me eh?? No worries - will update when I find out more. I was enjoying the overall smoothness and worrying about run-in revs etc for a while before I actually noticed the buzzing and you know how it is...then you notice it more and more!! Anyhow, still a beautiful donk, but we'll see....

might have to get on the Suzuki forum mate , as they talk mainly about Suzuki's

Well, weather too crap for a test run, but engine apparently checked out all ok at first service. Will have to see exactly what RPM we are talking about, but needless to say was told of the inherent resonant vibes of 4 strokes when I picked it up.

Anyhow, will investigate some more on the next run, bearing in mind motor has all of 6 hours on clock and was operated at limited RPM, so I suppose we'll see.
    Also was told about NZ product 'vibra-stop', apparently just for times like these???

Quote Originally Posted by seb7701 View Post
    Well, weather too crap for a test run, but engine apparently checked out all ok at first service. Will have to see exactly what RPM we are talking about, but needless to say was told of the inherent resonant vibes of 4 strokes when I picked it up.

Anyhow, will investigate some more on the next run, bearing in mind motor has all of 6 hours on clock and was operated at limited RPM, so I suppose we'll see.
    Also was told about NZ product 'vibra-stop', apparently just for times like these???
    Is this dealer speak for 'we have no bloody idea' as the harmonic balancer should alleviate it.

Well, I did wonder...
    It is very early days in the engine run-in, so I guess will have to establish exactly what rev range seems to be the issue and then scour the boat whilst cruising to see what I can find.
    Just ironic for an old two stroke owner from way back like me.....I thought these four strokes were the buttery-smooth answer to everyone's prayers, only to be told what a 'common problem' 4 stroke resonance is???

Seb, you can get a harmonic vibration but usually it is in very low revs say 1100 or so, if this is the case then at double the revs, 2200 revs it should cut in again before disappearing once you up it. If it is happening at only a spefic rev range only say 3300 as in your case then it is something else. Keep hammering the dealer as you didn't have it before.

Have seen it with a Yammy 250. Bow rail was vibrating like a guitar string. Seemed to happen at around the point where the boat was on the plane but not by much - about 3000 - 3500 rpm. Have also had similar with my own 2 stroke ( E-Tec) when running a large bladed 3 blade at around the same revs. With my own rig I don't get it with other prop designs. The Yammy was running a 4 blade.

Thanks gents - looking forward to the next run so I can pay attention to the rev range and see what's going on. I do wonder that it's not a case that some sheet alloy boats are more susceptible than others. I know the Ally Craft for e.g. has less physical contact between the ribs and the sides than my last Sea Jay. As such, will be interesting to see exactly whether the bloody vibes are originating!!!!

Just repowered a 5.10 ally craft bowrider with a f100 yamaha. Get vibration at around 1100rpm then nothing rest of the rev range. Just finished my break in hours. Vibes seem to come from the grab rail around the windscreen not the hull. Running a 17p 3 blade black stainless yammy prop.

Must admit I hadn't given much thought as upgrading from a 75 2strk to the f100 had been like night and day in terms of overall noise.

First service next month so will report back dealer feedback.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cheers - glad it's not just an ally craft trait then! The engine itself is just magic, so yep, you're dead right. I agree, I wasn't that unhappy with the Merc 60 2str either, but amazing how the suzuki (and your Yammie no doubt) are in comparison. Can't even hear it at idle!!

Quote Originally Posted by seb7701 View Post
    Cheers - glad it's not just an ally craft trait then! The engine itself is just magic, so yep, you're dead right. I agree, I wasn't that unhappy with the Merc 60 2str either, but amazing how the suzuki (and your Yammie no doubt) are in comparison. Can't even hear it at idle!!
    You probably had a vibration with the 2 stroke but just couldn't hear it over the engine..... I know my tinny vibrates like hell with the 2 stroke on the back at certain revs.
    Remember to always log on before heading offshore.

Quote Originally Posted by Crunchy View Post
    I think my new ss Solas prop is out of balance as made the engine and boat vibrate, yet to take it back but put the old prop back on and no problem with vibrations
    Finally had a chance to take my prop back to SOLAS, one of the guys there had a look and spotted a flaw in one of the blades, was very hard to pick up but some kind of slight distortion on the face of the blade, only about the size of a 20cent coin...they swapped it for another without hesitation...
    so

1) Brand new props can be faulty
    2) SOLAS are deserving of their top customer service reputation

Hope to try the new prop this W/E

Don't think this is your issue Seb, just closing out my earlier comment.

Well, it’s been a long time coming, but finally got out for a second lap in the boat to see exactly what this vibration biz was all about. I did note during my googling, that a number of Suzi owners seem to have reported vibration, so I was prepared that it might just be a fact of life.

Anyway, gave it a day’s worth of tubing/kneeboarding with the kids and a couple of runs in between to get some figures. When trimmed out just a whisker from rock bottom, saw 5700rpm and 29kts, so all is running fine. Anyway, I went to the stern and sat my hand on the top of the cowl at cruise rpm (around 4200rpm) and found the vibration in the boat was just a direct translation from the engine. It’s not diabolical as in a miss or anything, but just a definite strong buzzing/resonance.

The hard question now is just how much is normal vibration on these things?? It could just be a fact of life, but I don’t think I’d be balancing a glass of water on it...

Incidentally, height might also be playing a part, as it seems a little low perhaps. Spoke to dealer who is more than happy to lift up and play around before going down the permatrim path but has also indicated that the trim setting is done at factory and can be adjusted perhaps to tuck it in some more also.
    Now, if I can just figure out how to attach this video...