Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Outboard vibration through boat??

Re: Outboard vibration through boat??

Quote Originally Posted by Crunchy View Post
    I think my new ss Solas prop is out of balance as made the engine and boat vibrate, yet to take it back but put the old prop back on and no problem with vibrations
    Could be the weight, they are a heavier prop than propriety props or possibly the incorrect hub washer used, Yammy uses a special anti slap washer on their bigger motors.

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    Could be the weight, they are a heavier prop than propriety props or possibly the incorrect hub washer used, Yammy uses a special anti slap washer on their bigger motors.
    Definately much heavier and 4 blade instead of 3 but 225HP motor so should be up to it, rough as guts so somethinig not quite right with it Luckily solas have a repuation for working with you to sort these issues so here's hoping.

Just spoke with Steve at SOLAS - they're prop is the Suzi prop which is hard to fault and he could not supply a better one. How 'bout that eh?

seb7701 sounds like your back to square one.

Was the engine mounted with any sort of pad on the outside of the transom? Might be woth a look.

Last time I checked with my Suzuki dealer, the Solas stainless prop was not the same as an Australian Suzuki stainless prop.

Have you talked to your dealer about it yet? What are they saying?

If convinced that it is a prop out of balance, then you can get it scanned and balanced. There will be a cost, of course.
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....

On my old streaker (fibreglass) I put a new 140 suzy on it, and that put a harmonic vibration through the boat at certain revs, nothing to do with the prop, just a engine harmonic that resinated through the boat.... it ran very smooth and I couldn't work it out so I didn't worry about it, but it was annoying at times. I did end up carpeting the hull sides which quietened down quite a bit.

cheers
    Russ

Hmm... interesting Russ, as that is what seems to be occurring - just an annoying hum, but the vibes can be felt anywhere on the boat.
    Yep, there's the nylon type plate under the outboard, but will be interested to know what the bolts are tightened like, as they are in many ways, the connectors between engine and hull.
    The prop is alloy, but it was Steve himself who mentioned that the props were the same. He actually indicated that unless the Suzi was a bigger HP, then the SS was not actually of any great benefit.

Although not really thinking of a connection, I have nonetheless removed all loose odds and sods from the out of the boat and particularly side pockets and have one more run planned before the first service in a couple of weeks time, but have notified the dealer today. Didn't like being asked if I had hit anything, but anyhow....

Thanks for all the input though gents - always lots to be learned!

Perhaps the vibration is typical but your loose stuff is also turning it into audible noise.
    It wouldn't be the first time I've stopped the boat & gone back to shake the rods in the side pockets.
    Those pesky rod tips & beer bottles can wear on your nerves mate.

My Suzuki 90 does it at about 5600rpm. Noise manifests up the front near the anchor well. So not often a problem for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Moonlighter View Post

Last time I checked with my Suzuki dealer, the Solas stainless prop was not the same as an Australian Suzuki stainless prop.
    That was also my thought but interestingly enough yesterday Steve from Solas announced they were making the 350hp duo props for Suzuki. I don't know the full details about it, unfortunately only found out this morning otherwise I could have quizzed him on it when there yesterday.

A resonant vibration could be quite a few things, one of them being the prop. Even an alloy prop, brand new, can be out of balance, and on the right boat, the harmonics might just match up at certain revs and you can then get bad vibes.

I know that when he is fitting twins, my local Zuke dealer tells me he now sends the new props out to be balanced a and blueprinted so they are absolutely identical. Specifically because of issues with resonance and rev issues.
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....

Outboard vibration through boat??

In regards to harmonic issues -
    Bit of an “out there” suggestion but,
    Can you remove the prop and rotate it incrementally to the next keyed/slot/position ?
    I don’t know if it is physically possible to do this, because maybe the prop on a suzi is a one way fit/keyed installation ?
    But moving the prop position on the shaft could be enough to negate or reduce the resonance.
    Just an idea,,,,

Saltwater fishing, boat mad but has a job that gets in the way.

The prop is a simple spline, it can be fitted in lots of different positions, but, if the prop is OK, then it makes no difference.

Outboard vibration through boat??

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    The prop is a simple spline, it can be fitted in lots of different positions, but, if the prop is OK, then it makes no difference.
    No worries
    So we have established the prop is all good ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No, I don't think so, another prop should be the very first check, just in case.