Thread: old boating mags.

old boating mags.

Used to be a 2 edition boating magazine that detailed just about every boat made in australia. I used to own them, lol. Now that i am looking to buy secondhand it would have been great to review the magazines. But for the life of me, i cant remember the name. Was it fishing and boating F&B magazine? Are these articles still available, SOMEWHERE?
    trying to google reviews on older boats is just like pissing in the wind, waste of lots of time. As google is paid by american advertisers, it quickly jumps to american sites after about the tenth line.
    Somebody has to be the "supository" of all this data. (sorry tony abbott, i pinched your line)

Re: old boating mags.

Here you go
    http://www.australianboatmags.com.au/pub/index.php
    You probably need to subscribe to get access to all the reports tho.

What are you looking for?

Cheers
    Chimo
    What could go wrong.......................

I don't think I would put a lot of faith in paid advertisers boat "tests" you can pick up a magazine from the '80s and one from today and just swap the brands, the text and so on has hardly changed.

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    I don't think I would put a lot of faith in paid advertisers boat "tests" you can pick up a magazine from the '80s and one from today and just swap the brands, the text and so on has hardly changed.
    Agree 100%. Martin...
    High Quality, custom Sports Fishing Boats.

'you won't find a better built boat'

just looking through boatsales, right to the end . Found a few boats that looked interesting with deep Vs apart from the usual HH or HS. Not interested in very old old boats like 17/19r or signatures before 450f. However a couple did tweek my interest. like Burmuda by haines. Of coarse you cant find any info on google.

Not quite what i was after Chimo. The magazine was run by husband and wife team and the magazine folded when they did. But they ran two special editions with reviews on just about every boat ever made in australia. They even had an edition on fixing boats. It was a very very informative set of mags. After my divorce, my mags went to an early grave. Five years later, the info would be very helpful.

ha ha. Jeff Webster !! found the name on an old post here on Burmuda/haines.

Jeff has "Secondhand trailer boats" and other assorted mags on his website jeffwebster.com.au

Truth be told, Haines signature is probably my number one choice by a long way. Only question i would have is how have the older ones stood up over time as far as deteriorating goes.

Not quite correct Andy as the "couple" with others are still producing the Aust Boat Mag and Jeff I believe is his son

They all still live on the Gold Coast
    What could go wrong.......................

thankyoy for the correction Chimo.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy56 View Post
    Not quite what i was after Chimo. The magazine was run by husband and wife team and the magazine folded when they did.
    The pun here is throwing me....

Quote Originally Posted by Andy56 View Post

Truth be told, Haines signature is probably my number one choice by a long way. Only question i would have is how have the older ones stood up over time as far as deteriorating goes.
    Same as any other glass boat that uses timber - case by case basis dependent on use, care, storage and who drilled what holes where (and how they sealed them).

2 things. Careful as the weights shown in Webster's mags are not always accurate (not his fault...manufacturers). Also Haines floors are nowhere near as dependable as Seafarers from the same era in my experience. Cheers

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Boat: Seafarer Vagabond
    Live: Great South East....love Moreton Bay fishing

yea, i would be checking the transom and floor very carefully. A cheap buy can turn nasty quickly in this game. Thats without the trailer or boat anchor out the back. Saying that, i have seen about 5 boats that would interest me. I doubt they will still be around for me in February, lol. Oh how I miss a boat now.