Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best Trailer Winch

Re: Best Trailer Winch

If a 315 struggled with your 5.2M boat I'd suggest you had a trailer problem Rod.
    The 315 is designed for mid-size boats. The Model 315 12 volt, electric cable winch features smooth power-in/freewheel out action for fastest retrieval speeds. Regardless of size, all Powerwinch winches are made from the highest grade materials and designed for long wear.
    • Power-in/freewheel-out
    • 12 volt power
    • Complete with a color coded 30 amp standard wiring harness for easy connection to the vehicle’s battery
    • Easy to self-load with switch
    • Max. boat weight of 4000 lbs
    • Vertical lift of 1650 lbs (Not to be considered or used as a hoist)
    • Line speed of 15 FPM
    • One year warranty

Quote Originally Posted by Fed View Post
    If a 315 struggled with your 5.2M boat I'd suggest you had a trailer problem Rod.
    Maybe that was a factor, but it was all pretty new at the time and seemed well setup keel roller mackay trailer.
    Anyone thought about making a bracket and using an 18v drill on the small cog of a 3 gear manual winch? That should work
    Cheers
    Rod

Rod my boat would kill an 18v drill. As it is the winch pulls big amps. You would need to gear down to the point where it would be way too slow. You need about a foot every 2 seconds to make it worthwhile in my view. Cheers

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Boat: Seafarer Vagabond
    Live: Great South East....love Moreton Bay fishing

Possibly not a drill but a cordless impact wrench should have the guts - just need the right size 6 point socket to give it a try. Just make sure you are hanging on properly or your impact wrench may get a dunking.

Ausfish Platinum Member

I tried a good 18v Impact wrench on my boat--wouldn't shift it. It will shift rusted wheel nuts, wouldn't look at the boat. Possibly would be OK if you started with slack rope and a floating boat, but didn't try.

[QUOTE=ozscott;1636505]Rod my boat would kill an 18v drill. As it is the winch pulls big amps. You would need to gear down to the point where it would be way too slow. You need about a foot every 2 seconds to make it worthwhile in my view. Cheers

Fair enough, but if you look at the specs above, which in my experience are on the optimistic side, the powerwinch does 15 fpm which is 1 ft every 4 seconds.

Regarding impact drivers, we got our first at work to use in RCR about 20 years ago and I was assessing it. It was pneumatic so may be different to the cordless versions. But I first thought it was useless because I could stop the thing easily by gripping with my hand. However I went over an entire car finding the biggest rustiest most difficult bolts I could find and it moved them all no probs. The difference being is that bolts don't pull back the other way, they can be knocked undone where as a boat will pull back.
    If your keeping the boat I reckon it's worth taking the time and effort to make a starter winch, the difference is startling.
    Cheers
    Rod