Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Trailer Winch

Best Trailer Winch

Sometime ago purchased a Super Cheap 12v electric Winch for $99. I found it to be slow and sometimes had trouble in releasing the Cable. The release method seems to be moving apart 2 friction plates and sometimes this does not happen. Re the speed, my wife from memory seems to be able to wind our 1/2 cabin boat (4.6M)onto the trailer at least twice as fast as the SC unit, while I ensure that the boat is centred on the rollers etc.

I would like a winch that is fast, able to be operated remotely ( so I can load the boat onto the trailer single handed) and has a better release/lock mechanism than the SC unit. I have looked at 2 units on the Whithworths website and they look similar to my SC unit. Appreciate comments on their release cable/retrieve method and the retrieval speed.

https://www.whitworths.com.au/main_i...AbsolutePage=1

https://www.whitworths.com.au/main_i...AbsolutePage=1

Thanks

Peter

Re: Best Trailer Winch

I have a powerwinch 712..american build ..old, brutal and simple..I think they retail for about $700 nowadays....

thing is its all about the gearing in principle...geared down is slow but needs less power overall...for $99 bucks if it works.... thats great.....I suspect it comes down to how much are you willing to pay...

Powerwinch on my trailer too - only issue I had was some numpty not putting it together right - still ran but made horrible noises. They are slow but seem to be reliable. The release mechanism is similar to what you have but I have never had an issue - apart from not paying attention and backing the thing off too much - thus having the boat near flying off the trailer. They do have remote versions or you can simply use a piece of cord to pull on the switch. Parts are available for the Powerwinch as well - not sure about the others. If you want speed, the best option is home made using a normal winch, a starter motor and either belts and pulleys or a flex plate. Compared to a factory trailer winch these things are awesome. Only better one I have seen used the same principle but a Honda stationary engine for a power plant - used to put a 24'er on a trailer in about 5 seconds.

Thanks Guys am wary about the speed,(slower speed more probs when single handed) info below says the 315 is 15FPM do not know the speed of the SC unit.
    http://www.powerwinch.com/controller...oduct&c=14&p=6

I have the cheap version, and extended the remote wire, so i can get to the back of the trailer for loading. At 15 feet per minute, it doesn't take very long to get it loaded. Had it for a long time now.
    David

Just be mindful that speed is probably unloaded. She will slow down under load if that is the case.

I have a 315 pulling a 17' Seafarer Peter.

1) A little slow but not enough to cause concern at least it's very controlled.
    2) Pull cord tied off at the end of the trailer so it's easy to get the boat up the first 3' or so then walk to the front & hold the switch on.
    3) The 315 switch is a shitty little spring loaded toggle that is weak unlike the rotary switch on the larger 712s.
    4) The plug & socket is shonky compared to the 712.
    5) The 315 doesn't have a SS winch cable unlike my previous 712s.
    6) The 315 is noisy compared to the 712s. (315 sounds like someone shaking a tin of nuts & bolts)
    7) The 315 didn't come with an emergency handle although one was shown on the outside of the box.
    8) No problem with clutches but I don't use mine to lower the boat, I simply unhook it & let it roll off.
    9) The cheap hook thimble will rust away as you watch it.

All these little things could be fixed but it would cost $$$, I think it's a reflection of them cost cutting.

I'd buy another one in a heartbeat, best thing since sliced bread for solo effortless retrieval after a hard day.

two things I became aware of during a rebuild ..the parts drawings for powerwinch are misleading..there are two thrust bearings to replace not just one.....and dont leave the winch holding the boat weight on the trailer while travelling.....luckily no big deal in my case.

dont leave the winch holding the boat weight on the trailer while travelling
    I do that all the time plus the safety chain of course.

2008_381Eight for Splash.jpgWhat Fed said and don't use the winch to lower the boat off the trailer. In the 912 winch the clutches are about the size of sixpence and its really easy to damage them. Also when hauling the boat out turn the winch on and then engage the clutch just enough to pull the boat. Don't over toighten or you will damage the clutches. Ask me how i know!!!!

Use a loop as above on the bow and release the boat down the trailer using the climbing 8. Leave the winch cable attached to the bow and let the boat pull the winch cable out as the boat moves down into the water. Hook the end of the winch cable to the end of the trailer and its ready to use when you are ready to load the boat. QED

Cheers
    Chimo
    What could go wrong.......................

I have had a 4wd/ATV winch on the boat trailer for 10 years. Never misses a beat and uber grunt. I extended the remote cable but these days you could probably just get a wireless remote pendant. I moved to dynema rope. Awesome set up.

Cheers

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Boat: Seafarer Vagabond
    Live: Great South East....love Moreton Bay fishing

Ozscott is this similar to your unit.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/12V-Wirel....c100005.m1851

Will ask questions re the speed and Amp usage.

Am also wary of light fingers at the Trailer storage area when you are out on the water. Winch can be unbolted ( spot welds on the bolts will stop that) and the winch arm with the winch can be unbolted ( ditto re spot welds).

Am happy with my Stressfree Anchor winch for Partner/Self or just self, fishing, so the trailer winch is next.

And Thanks again for the comments on the 315 and the size of the clutches.

Peter

Mate mine is a T-max ATV and from memory about 4000 lbs. Photo attached. Really never cracks a sweat even dragging up dry. Cheers

I welded plates over bolts (only 2mm or so flat bar) so that people can't unbolt it. They could nick the rope but never happened. Cheers

G'day
    I had a powerwinch 315 for a 5.2m fg boat some years ago. I liked the remote function with the pull string, the winch did the job, but only just and seemed on the limit of it's capacity, and only if I did regular maintenance. I found that once the clutch plates started slipping that just got worse, so stop at any slipping and tighten the tensioner. To keep the unit functional, once or twice a year I would pull it apart and rough up the plates with some course abrasive paper, then clean with solvent and allow to dry. I also used a fine stone to smooth the parts that come together when you turn the tension knob and added a bit of grease those contacting parts to aid the process. I also reduced the amount of cable to lower the gearing to reduce the units struggle. All in all not an item I would praise.
    Later on a much heavier 6m fg boat with a lot of help from a friend who had made them before, we put together a starter motor winch, included a remote pull string function and WOW, quick and easy. I generally drive on but did use it when holidaying at a ramp with low water and local disdain for drive on. A pair of earplugs is advisable, but only for about 15 to 20 secs
    Cheers
    Rod