Thread: Brissy River Grunter and Snapper

Ausfish Silver Member jackson4300's Avatar

Brissy River Grunter and Snapper

Headed out last Wednesday for a quick fish at night, managed to get a 46cm grunter on a small squid I got in the net and that was it for the night.

Friday night/ Saturday morning I noticed that after the storm had passed the wind was nowhere near the prediction, so after watching it for an hour and the wind staying low I decided to have another crack. Left home around 1am. After the previous trip I took some frozen bait squid with me.
    Down at the ramp there was almost no wind, managed to find some good bait.
    First spot had some really nice fish stacked up, was looking really good but couldn't get a single hit so moved on after an hour.
    Second spot had a couple of nice arches sitting a few meters off the bottom so was looking ok. Fished for about half an hour with nothing happening, but as the sun started to come up some schools of bait started coming through under the boat.
    Put down a whole squid on a snell rig, as I was stuffing around with another rod the squid took off. By the time I got to the rod the fish had managed to get into the pylons, it was stuck, so I figured I would back off the pressure and leave the rod in the holder in the hope that the fish would come back out. A couple minutes later the rod loads up, the fish had come up and I nursed it up to the boat knowing the leader was probably knackered. It was a 45cm snapper!
    Re-rigged the rod and sent another squid down, after a few minutes it took off again, this time I was onto it quicker and had a decent fight and had a 57cm grunter come up, great fish!
    Managed another 3 snapper on the squid after the grunter, one over 50cm, another just under 50 and one that wasn't legal.
    In the midst of the snapper I had a live mullet take off, whatever took it ran straight for the pylons and I couldn't stop it with 30lb braid, line broke on the pylons... That was the only live bait to even get a touch all morning.
    Weather was great and managed to find some good fish and even had the boat and gear all clean and away by 9am!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo 20-09-2017, 8 28 48 PM.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	75.8 KB 
ID:	116322Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo 23-09-2017, 6 10 35 AM.jpg 
Size:	67.4 KB 
ID:	116323Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo 23-09-2017, 6 18 43 AM.jpg 
Size:	64.3 KB 
ID:	116324Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo 23-09-2017, 6 27 47 AM.jpg 
Size:	66.4 KB 
ID:	116325

Re: Brissy River Grunter and Snapper

Good work how do those grunter eat Jackson.

Mark

Thumbs up Re: Brissy River Grunter and Snapper

You keep pulling quality fish from the river. Keep the reports coming

Both species of grunter too. Well done.

Ausfish Silver Member jackson4300's Avatar

Hi Copie, they are fantastic to eat, only kept the second larger one though.

Thanks Jeremy, if the fish keep showing up I will!

Hi Daryl, that’s spot on, first smaller one was a silver javelin and the bigger one is a Barred javelin.