Thread: Cheap Depth Sounder - Thru Hull

Cheap Depth Sounder - Thru Hull

Hi all,

I have a 2006 Tahoe Bowrider. Given the age of the boat and the fact that i dont plan to keep the boat too long before moving onto something else, i'm looking for a decent cheap depth sounder with a thru hull transducer. All i really need is the depth of the water primarily and maybe a very basic sonar image. It needs to be thru hull due to the design of my transom where many installers have advised against a transom mount.

Appreciate and help with some suggestions.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Ausfish mobile app

Re: Cheap Depth Sounder - Thru Hull

I silastic'd my standard Lowrance 83/200 into the bilge just in front of the engine. It returns depth and bottom contours no problem even at 30 knots but I think resolution suffers because I rarely see fish arches.
    Could be other reasons for that tho....

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

PoMo thats astounding!

I have a mate who never buys anything for his boat...I mean anything..flares always out of date,old fuel,unserviced...........so when we went fishing theres no sonar ..nothing.....got sick of that so I rigged up an old sonar unit with the transducer on a stick and just held it over the side when we wanted to see the bottom......it worked just fine but he never took the hint........

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealPoMo View Post
    I silastic'd my standard Lowrance 83/200 into the bilge just in front of the engine. It returns depth and bottom contours no problem even at 30 knots but I think resolution suffers because I rarely see fish arches.
    Could be other reasons for that tho....

That is good! I couldn't get mine to work on transom past 5 knots, piece of shyte tranducers.....

Mercthunder - most through hull transducers are top end & expensive so PoMo's suggestion is a good idea for your needs. If you do go through hull please don't try and install it yourself ....

I have a HDS7 getting removed from my sharkcat.
    It has a basic shoot through hull type airmar transducer.
    Few times I have taken the boat, it worked ok. Definitely get the depth readings and fish on the bottom.
    No mapping card but generic map.

Max

Yeah I was surprised it worked. I did see it done on American websites. Used non nasty silicone so it could be removed. Trick apparently is to get no air between transducer and hull. You see 4 inch Lowrances with transducers for under $200. Be fine as a depth sounder. If it fails mount it on the transom.

If using the above silicon method just ensure its not a chirp transducer or you will burn it out

This could be an option for you with a striker head unit

https://buy.garmin.com/en-AU/AU/p/530269
    Garry

Retired Honda Master Tech

Thanks for the advice all. I am strongly considering an In-Hull transducer now given they are quite cost effective and as long as it does a decent job i will be fine. All i really need is a depth reading and very basic sonar.

Thanks for the suggestion SpanishKing and you have peaked my interest. I am considering buying the following unit and transducer together:

Head Unit: http://www.bcf.com.au/Product/Garmin...enuFrom=571543
    Transducer: https://buy.garmin.com/en-AU/AU/p/530269#overview or https://buy.garmin.com/en-AU/AU/p/573584

Would this be a good cost effective combo and could i expect decent results on my fibreglass Tahoe? I don't do any fishing, so i'm not fussed if it can pick up fish or not, just depth, and basic sonar.

Thanks for the help all.

If you're not fishing, why do you "need" a sounder?

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    If you're not fishing, why do you "need" a sounder?
    Depth reading when travelling through some narrow channels on the Hawkesbury River. Also to understand the depth of water under the boat for anchoring. So essentially i don't need it for much, hence why i am not looking for anything state of the art