Thread: Kilcoy beef?

Kilcoy beef?

hello,
    I recently purchased a 12lb boneless ribeye from my local grocer. what caught my eye about it was the fact it had the blue diamond Kilcoy label, it was marked as being from Australia, the price per lb. ($4.99 usd) , and I live about a 5 hour drive west of New York City.
    We have an Outback Steakhouse at the local shopping center and that is about as Aussie as it gets around here.

Being that it was half the price of the other steaks in the case and it looked pretty good, I took the bait.

It is the best damned beef I think I have ever eaten. Good on ya Kilcoy!

but now I'm curious about how I can buy beef shipped from Austrailia at half the price of what's normally in the case here, and what do you guys pay per lb for it at your local market? I suppose there are trade deals and whatnot, that stuff gets over my head pretty quickly.
    can you buy US beef locally? what does that run per lb, comparatively, and what do you think of it's quality?

when I asked for more, the butcher told me it was a one-off offer from their supplier and had no idea if or when there would be more coming. maybe they had had an order cancled or something, I don't know. but I want more!

cheers, and happy grilling,
    joe
    standing on a bridge
    watching water rushing under-
    neath it must have been much harder
    when there was no bridge just water

Re: Kilcoy beef?

Quote Originally Posted by sparkyice View Post
    hello,
    I recently purchased a 12lb boneless ribeye from my local grocer. what caught my eye about it was the fact it had the blue diamond Kilcoy label, it was marked as being from Australia, the price per lb. ($4.99 usd) , and I live about a 5 hour drive west of New York City.
    We have an Outback Steakhouse at the local shopping center and that is about as Aussie as it gets around here.

Being that it was half the price of the other steaks in the case and it looked pretty good, I took the bait.

It is the best damned beef I think I have ever eaten. Good on ya Kilcoy!

but now I'm curious about how I can buy beef shipped from Austrailia at half the price of what's normally in the case here, and what do you guys pay per lb for it at your local market? I suppose there are trade deals and whatnot, that stuff gets over my head pretty quickly.
    can you buy US beef locally? what does that run per lb, comparatively, and what do you think of it's quality?

when I asked for more, the butcher told me it was a one-off offer from their supplier and had no idea if or when there would be more coming. maybe they had had an order cancled or something, I don't know. but I want more!

cheers, and happy grilling,
    joe

Good buying Sparkyice

I've have been lucky enough to travel quiet a bit and seriously Australian fresh food is second to none.

Super butcher BRISBANE currently advertise whole grass fed rib fillet for $79 AUD for 4 kilogram or 9lbs buy...which if you do the math works out about $7 USD per lb.

Australia hasn't imported beef from the US since 2001 due to Mad Cow Disease....

Enjoy

Sent from my iPad using Ausfish mobile app

Kilcoy has awesome meat. Im on the sunshine coast and often make a trip out to the kilcoy butcher to get a bulk buy. Wouldnt say the cheapest but excellent quality and cheaper than the coast. His pork is also the best ive eaten.
    ...A bad days fishing is always better than a good days working...

How bizarre! My grandfather began the Kilcoy works in 1951 to help create employment in the town and my Dad, Uncles and various cousins were all directors over the years until it was sold about ten years ago to overseas interests but still employs many locals. My grandfather's motto was "if it's not good meat, it's not Kilcoy meat." They began killing 4 head a day, now probably 500 or so? Be careful though. We had a situation a few years ago whereby someone in China had completely copied the box and was selling beef in China unbeknownst to Kilcoy, but it was pretty rubbish meat. (Remember, if it's not good meat, it's not Kilcoy meat) Having said that, it's quite possible it is Kilcoy beef over there in the US. Growing up we always were able to access cryovacced beef, and it was always exceptional, especially the cube roll. Great to hear how it's made its way to US like that. My grandfather, uncles and my Dad, who died 2 years ago next month, would be very proud. thanks for the comment.

Travel through Kilcoy regularly, often stopping at the cafe on the way into town for breakfast or just coffee. Always great, use stop at the butchers next time when going back late in the afternoon.

My neighbor is the head sales bloke for Kilcoy meatworks. Now and then he chucks some free beef over the fence when I do a job around the house for him! Mind you he spends most of his time overseas selling the stuff, no idea how much stays local but I am guessing not a lot. Some of the best steak I have had has come from over the fence.

When I buy whole rib (cube roll) I pay about $24kg worst case, so about $8.20USD per lb. This is stuff that does not typically see the Aussie market.

BTW sparkyice, outback steakhouse is about as far from Aussie as you can get!

Typical, try buying it here in Australia and it will cost you $25 a kilo, and be crap quality......

Quote Originally Posted by Feral View Post
    Typical, try buying it here in Australia and it will cost you $25 a kilo, and be crap quality......
    You can still get good quality stuff for $25/kg here in Aus, you can actually get really good beef for even less if you look around On current prices, $20-$22 a kg is not unreasonable for rib fillet.

IF you watch the market closely, you will often find that certains cuts go out of flavour, and the domestic market gets flooded with good beef really cheap. That cut at the moment is rump. I have had rump steak lately that will almost rival an eye fillet!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sheik View Post
    How bizarre! My grandfather began the Kilcoy works in 1951 to help create employment in the town and my Dad, Uncles and various cousins were all directors over the years until it was sold about ten years ago to overseas interests but still employs many locals. My grandfather's motto was "if it's not good meat, it's not Kilcoy meat." They began killing 4 head a day, now probably 500 or so? Be careful though. We had a situation a few years ago whereby someone in China had completely copied the box and was selling beef in China unbeknownst to Kilcoy, but it was pretty rubbish meat. (Remember, if it's not good meat, it's not Kilcoy meat) Having said that, it's quite possible it is Kilcoy beef over there in the US. Growing up we always were able to access cryovacced beef, and it was always exceptional, especially the cube roll. Great to hear how it's made its way to US like that. My grandfather, uncles and my Dad, who died 2 years ago next month, would be very proud. thanks for the comment.
    wow...that's awesome! what a small world this has indeed become.
    standing on a bridge

hey guys, thanks for all the nice replies- very informative and interesting. gives me some food for thought, as it were!
    I am able to source some very fine locally raised beef ( and pork) in my area, but it will command 40-50% more than the "commercial"(?) grade stuff at the grocer.
    I've gotten a couple of friends to try kilcoy, no complaints yet.
    generally speaking, americans are in love with all things Austrailian, with good reason. you guys operate the way we wish we did here. lots of the same problems and issues of course, but you all seem to have a better sense of humor about it. ( I mean humour)

well, cheers, and enjoy your day, or night, whichever it may be.
    joe
    standing on a bridge

Thanks Joe.
    We do tend to be a little more relaxed from what I can see but that's a vast generalisation, and there are areas where the "old" aussie values have disappeared but in the bush away from the city areas we're all pretty chilled... like good Kilcoy beef!