Thread: Brisbane River Threadies and Jew

Ausfish Silver Member jackson4300's Avatar

Brisbane River Threadies and Jew

Headed out in the darkness Saturday morning to the mouth of the river.
    Plenty of bait hanging around, mullet, herring, gar silver biddies. Looked around for a while but couldn't find too much that was super appealing. Eventually anchored over something that looked ok, as I was anchored a few fish went past and after about 45 minutes I had a hit on a herring. No hook up....
    About a minute later another herring got hit and this time hooked up.
    After a decent fight and getting caught up in the anchor rope, a 113cm thready surfaces. Quick photo and the fish was back in the water, would have taken about 20 minutes of swimming it until it started kicking strongly. It swam away well.
    Had another look around for fish and ended up going full circle and fished back at the same spot pretty much. Got another salmon that went 111cm which came home for dinner.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo 16-09-2017, 5 56 06 AM.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	77.4 KB 
ID:	116294

Name:	Photo 16-09-2017, 5 59 21 AM.jpg 
Size:	40.7 KB 
ID:	116295Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo 16-09-2017, 8 06 46 AM.jpg 
Size:	78.8 KB 
ID:	116296
    Then headed out Sunday night, had trouble finding mullet only got the one but did manage to get a cuttlefish in the net. There were some massive banana prawns, size was about 20-23cm long.
    Fished for a few hours with no touches at all so decided to try drifting. Started the motor first to warm up, as I was retrieving lines I noticed a big tiger squid behind the motor, thought starting the motor had scared it. Turns out it was interested in the water coming from the tell-tale, I dropped a live prawn beside it which it avoided like the plague. I put on a squid jig and that managed to scare it off completely.... Got nothing drifting to moved spots completely.
    Prawn took off almost straight away but was a sting ray...
    Fished till the sun had just come up and decided to go and refresh the bait with the hope of getting some mullet with the higher tide.
    First cast resulted in about 20 mullet so no problem there, another cast got some good size herring and a pike.
    Headed straight back to where I had been and managed a 79cm Jew pretty much straight away on the pike. Was happy to pull the plug after that fish and head home.

Name:	Photo 18-09-2017, 6 33 18 AM.jpg 
Size:	79.4 KB 
ID:	116297Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo 18-09-2017, 9 58 02 AM.jpg 
Size:	59.9 KB 
ID:	116298

Re: Brisbane River Threadies and Jew

Great report again Jackson nice fish and thanks for adding in the few helpful hints.

Mark

Blog Entries

Well done Mate !!! another couple of successful outings .
    Generally speaking (not wanting to bludge your spots) what area of the river are you fishing ...around the wharves ? If so How do you get on with Port security .

Hi Grinner, the 2 salmon came from alongside the pipeline wharf and the jewfish was pretty much from the wharf back on the other side of the river.
    Generally I will sound fairly close along the wharfs looking for fish and then anchor a bit further out. I find port security to be a little more forgiving during weeknights rather than during lunchtime on a Saturday.
    Plus some areas port security can only get to you by the boat and they wont launch their boat to come and ask 1 boat to move another 10m out in the middle of the night.
    Just like most people, if they are having a bad night or are just an a-hole in general they will make it dfficult for you, but most are fairly easy going, I have been fairly close before and they have asked nicely if I could move a little further out so no real problem, most times I will move to a new spot anyway.

Blog Entries

Thanks mate for yer info , so which boat were you in SAT morning the anchored painted tinnie directly out from the wharf .... or the unpainted tinnie with the bowmount electric .
    We were out there Fri / Sat in a quintrex cuddy cab & fished in & around that general area for awhile .

Hi Grinner, I have a 3.7m edgetracker which is black with a few stickers. No electric on it at the moment.
    Have a bait tank that has hoses sitting over the side and have a big piece of pipe on the tiller as an extended handle.

Blog Entries

Once again thanks for your post ....hoping they will soon help put some quality fish my way ..