Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Anyone using lead crystal battery?

Anyone using lead crystal battery?

Just wondering if anyone figured out the charging regime, literature says initial charge should be 14.7 Volts at about 30 - 50amps but I thought the battery resistance would set the amps ccording to the voltage but the literature keeps referring to setting the amps??? I have a C-tek which will set at 14.7 volts on "Snowflake" setting but it only pumps out 7amps max....anyway anyone figured it all out?

Re: Anyone using lead crystal battery?

My guess is that it will just take longer to charge.
    The voltage is the important bit.

Jamie

Saltwater fishing, boat mad but has a job that gets in the way.

What size C-tek are you using?

Crunchy, I thought you were feeding your battery drugs, I looked it up and found there is such a thing. I do like the idea that apparently you can completely discharge the battery without shortening it's life. What was the reason you went down this path.

PS I checked a few forums and they all seem to say that the batteries will charge but take a lot longer, 36 amp seems to be the recommended range though.

I think they probably mean depending on the battery size the initial charging current from flat @ 14.7 Volts would be 30A - 50A or to limit the the charge rate to 30A-50A. (Typical battery recommended max rate C/3)

That's IF your charger has the grunt.

A 7A charger from flat will either cut out, protest a short circuit, cycle on & off or continue plugging away until the charge comes up just like a normal battery.

Battery Spin Doctors:
    During the charge / discharge cycles the electrolyte solidifies and forms a white crystalline powder. ... TheLead Crystal® battery can be used as a substitute for most battery technologies in the lead category, such as lead acid, lead gel and SAM.
    Translation:
    We put a teaspoon of cement in each battery to save on battery acid so we can make more money.

Quote Originally Posted by 552Evo View Post
    My guess is that it will just take longer to charge.
    The voltage is the important bit.
    That must be right but they talk about set current and set voltage, must assume a charger with settable amps?? - see below.

Quote Originally Posted by NomadNoosa View Post
    What size C-tek are you using?
    MS- 7000 (7Amp multistage)

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    Crunchy, I thought you were feeding your battery drugs, I looked it up and found there is such a thing. I do like the idea that apparently you can completely discharge the battery without shortening it's life. What was the reason you went down this path.

PS I checked a few forums and they all seem to say that the batteries will charge but take a lot longer, 36 amp seems to be the recommended range though.
    Mate I'm an early adopter of technology (Nah not really, the battery sales man said "try this"), no reveiws in marine applications from what I can see but the ability to go below 50% DOD without crapping the battery is appealing and very high number of life cycles means cost in use should be very low....time will tell I guess. I guess the amps discussion refers if batteries are compeltely discharged.

Quote Originally Posted by Fed View Post
    I think they probably mean depending on the battery size the initial charging current from flat @ 14.7 Volts would be 30A - 50A or to limit the the charge rate to 30A-50A. (Typical battery recommended max rate C/3)

That's IF your charger has the grunt.

A 7A charger from flat will either cut out, protest a short circuit, cycle on & off or continue plugging away until the charge comes up just like a normal battery.

Battery Spin Doctors:

Translation:
    We put a teaspoon of cement in each battery to save on battery acid so we can make more money.
    Yeh I think your right, given the battery is new I will just throw the c-teck on snowflake (Which is 14.7 volts) which is the reccomended initial charge voltage and move to "Auto"mode after that....to maintain the 3 year warrantee you need to charge correctly and the high inittal volatge is to turn the lead back into crystals.

Charger SettingsLead Crystal® Batteries are high-end products that work best with goodquality battery chargers. Below settings for automated battery chargers arerecommended to fully utilize the benefits of Lead Crystal® Batteries.12V Battery RangeCyclic Charging / Daily CyclesTemp constant-current limited-voltage constant-voltage limited-current Float20°C - 30°C 14.7V0.3C max2h13.8V0.15C 0.02C max4h13.6V31°C - 40°C 14.5V 13.6V 13.45V 0.01C ˜h41°C - 45°C 14.3V 13.45V 13.35V12V Battery RangeStandby / Float ChargingTemp constant-current limited-voltage constant-voltage limited-current Float20°C - 30°C 14.4V0.15C max7h14.4V0.15C 0.02C max3h13.6V31°C - 40°C 14.2V 14.2V 13.45V 0.01C ˜h41°C - 45°C 14.05V 14.05V 13.35

Anyone using lead crystal battery?

G’day Crunchy,
    I’m pretty confident your Ctek will do with the job. As I mentioned it will just take longer at lower current/Amps. It’s probably got 7 or 8 charging steps to complete all the appropriate stages of battery recharge, rejuvenation and what not.
    Just make sure you set the Ctek in the appropriate charge “mode” and from what I’ve searched for your lead crystal battery the “AGM” mode is the appropriate charge mode for a lead crystal battery.
    In all the charge modes the main influence on how the charge is received by the battery is the voltage.
    The current is either restricted or flat out (within the chargers capabilities of course).

Only issue you may face is with a very flat battery the C-tek may throw it's hands in the air and tell you to bugger off. I have seen this with smart chargers before and keep an old style Arlec charger specifically for this reason. If necessary I throw the Arlec on for a short period until the battery has enough voltage that the smart charger is happy to charge it

Yes agree with scottar 100%
    I’ve got a projecta charger that has power supply mode. If the battery is dead flat and the charger won’t start then charge it on power supply mode for 30 mins is usually enough and brings the battery base battery voltage up enough to allow the charge mode to grab on and do it’s thing.

The maker of these batteries (Betta batteries) have developed their own chargers with their recommended protocol but can't find where to buy in Australia.... or o/s for that matter

Crunchy, take it back to the salesman and get him to charge it or I have a 10 amp AGM charger your welcome to borrow.

Did a quick search is this what you are after ?

http://leadcrystalbatteries.com/medi...2V-25A_30A.pdf

Honestly I don't think you need it. All you want to do is to keep it charged while not on the water ?? Your battery won't be dead flat every time you charge it.

Big output style chargers like that are usually for battery banks, like in a forklift. I reckon if your ctek has the AGM mode then that will be fine.

It's your battery and your dollars invested, so it's your choice.

Cheers
    Jamie

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You just reminded me I got a forklift charger at work....I'll stick the bugger on that of it ever goes flat!

Quote Originally Posted by Crunchy View Post
    You just reminded me I got a forklift charger at work....I'll stick the bugger on that of it ever goes flat!
    Not sure about yours but our forklift charger puts out about 48 volts. You might let the magic smoke out - once you've done that she's cactus.

It will teach it a lesson for being difficult though