Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Raymarine Axiom

Raymarine Axiom

Hi Guys,

Wondering if anyone has had much to do with the new Raymarine Axiom gear. I am planning to upgrade all my electronics later in the year and have been doing some research. I have spoken to a couple of dealers who also seem to be a bit unclear. What I am looking for, above else, is top quality fish finding.

I am interested in the Axiom 12RVX which seems to have an inbuilt 1kw capability. I would also consider the 16" if I can fit it in (sounds like the missus).

My concern is that unit running all the other functions of an MFD and pumping 1kw is the heat/performance. I cannot work out whether that is the way to go, both price and performance, or do I look at the 12" Pro S, or + and then go with an external CP370 with TM TX in 1kw. Then there is the question of the best TM TX.

Anybody in the know. Go the all in 1? or go the component set up.

Cheers.

Ausfish Platinum Member

Re: Raymarine Axiom

There are no issues with the built-in 1kw transmitter module, you'd be mad to go with the external module if buying new, that stuff is out of date. I run an Axiom 9 Pro (RVX), with the inbuilt 1kw module, no problems at all.
    Due to space constraints, I looked at 2 9 Rv's, but it actually cost more to do that and add the module, rather than go with a 9RVX and a 7RV. You don't want all touch screen with your stuff on the water, the Pro ( RVX) has the Hybrid Touch system, where you can do either. Using the touchscreen -only 7 with wet fingers on a shitty day has knobs on it, frankly. probaly ok for creek fishermen.

fair bit of experience here for sure
    The sounder module inside thew RVX system is the CP470 "part of the reason the unit is so heavy and big " this isnt a bad thing it has a fair amount of processing power and heat sinks. The big reason we tend to recomend those considering a cp470 to a axiom pro is the saving of networks. you retain both network ports should you want to add a second screen, radar, cameras etc.

The physical controls on the axiom pro are the best of any hybrid screen.... mostly due in part to being chunky and very solid.

The benifit of an external sonar pcomputer would be just to future proof yourself some what with screens. i have had clients who had axioms.. and a cp570 sonar computer.... to then upgrade their axioms to axiomPLUS units for higher quality resolution screens,

That said.. the axiom "though totally had teething issues." is really startting to stride..

3d.....meh
    side vision.. okay not great
    downvision... see above

1kw chirp with airmar.... very very good.

Marine outfitting solutions
    www.moosemarine.com.au

Ranmar,

Thanks for the feedback mate, that is what I was looking for. I am running a C120 at the moment with a TM260 broadband TX. It gives a good picture, but not as good as my old Furuno 585 with the TM258, so I want to at least equal that or improve. I couldn't agree more about the hybrid screen, in big seas there is nothing like buttons to operate your gear.

Moose,

Seen a few of your posts now and you know your stuff so thanks for the response. I didn't know that the CP470 was already inside the new RVX so that is good news. Its good feedback on the 3D, sidevision and Downvision because I am not really interested in that. All I want is excellent sonar. What I have struggle to work out is the best transducer for that unit, is the RVX1000 3D the go, or is a better Airmar the way to go.

P.S, I will also be adding Radar, will that affect the number of ports?

Quote Originally Posted by james1 View Post
    Ranmar,

Thanks for the feedback mate, that is what I was looking for. I am running a C120 at the moment with a TM260 broadband TX. It gives a good picture, but not as good as my old Furuno 585 with the TM258, so I want to at least equal that or improve. I couldn't agree more about the hybrid screen, in big seas there is nothing like buttons to operate your gear.

Moose,

Seen a few of your posts now and you know your stuff so thanks for the response. I didn't know that the CP470 was already inside the new RVX so that is good news. Its good feedback on the 3D, sidevision and Downvision because I am not really interested in that. All I want is excellent sonar. What I have struggle to work out is the best transducer for that unit, is the RVX1000 3D the go, or is a better Airmar the way to go.

P.S, I will also be adding Radar, will that affect the number of ports?
    Cheers mate, happy to help.
    As for transducers, it would depend a fair amount on where y ou are fishing and what sort of vessel. but the Airmar 1kw range available in L-m-h and wide beam High do tend to be the go to choices these days,
    The Sonar module in the axiom pros is keyed to look for a dual element transducer "265 or 275 airmar". when a single element transducer is connected "175 or 75 airmar" the unit wont reconise it. a small 12" long "OPERATION CABLE" is required in line.. its no big deal. just a little adapter that tells the system all is good. With that in mind, if transom mount is a considered option, the TM275 ot TM265 series of dual element transducers do work in this favour they are about %50 more in cost to a single element transducer.. so its kinda like two for the price of 1.5

With two free network ports adding a radar is all groovy. still leaves you with one, should you want to add a second screen etc.

The axiom pro wont need a RVX1000 that module is more for the axiom XL series of MFDs that dont have built in sonar modulators. .. Big boat applications where they may have multple MFDS but only really need one sonar module,

www.moosemarine.com.au

Ausfish Platinum Member

james1, Moose is the man who supplied me with the gear for my setup, he knows his stuff . You don't mention what depth you intend to fish?? Assuming it is deeper, as you mention needing 1kw and previously using a 585. My total network is an Axiom 9 Pro, Axiom 7, p70rs and ACU-100 Autopilot, RV-100 transducer and B175M Airmar mounted in the hull. I bottom fish out to 320m, chase billfish out to around 1000m. The B175M gives a very good picture out to the depths I bottom fish, no problems . My only problem with it is getting a useable picture at any sort of speed, I am seriously considering going to a TM. Only other alternative would be going to a faired installation, but that is just not do-able on my boat without cutting a section out of the deck, and then it might foul the trailer. The Rv-100 actually gets quite a good picture at speed. The extra ports on the Pro are good, makes it easy to set up a network, and the 2 micro SD card slots are front mounted, which doesn't sound like much, but the rear-mounted on the basic Axiom are inaccessible to me.
    As Moose said, 3-D, meh. I haven't looked at it for quite a while. But I have taken to using the sidescan/downscan function on the RV-100 quite a bit, it has become my go-to for the shallower water. Definition is brilliant out to about 30m, people are blown away when you show them what the bottom profile is really like compared to the view across it from conventional sonar. If I had a spot locker, I could park right next to that ledge, or coral lump, and bounce a jig around until that trout got annoyed enough to hit it. The Sonar function in the Rv-100 is also good in the shallower water, particularly with bottom discrimination..

My appoligies if u dont sell Garmin Anthony being a site sponsor

But check out that video getting around facebook of the live fish finder it spots the fish and old mate lowers down a livie right into the fish and sees it all live as he hooks up and reels the fish up bloody incredible technology

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app

All groovy, yes we also are a Garmin pro dealer

Livescope really is a very groovy piece of tech.

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=77...QBga2kH6hyGOq9

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    My appoligies if u dont sell Garmin Anthony being a site sponsor

But check out that video getting around facebook of the live fish finder it spots the fish and old mate lowers down a livie right into the fish and sees it all live as he hooks up and reels the fish up bloody incredible technology

www.moosemarine.com.au

That garmin scan thingy looks brilliant its not the clearest but sure is pathing the way in technology, seeing the fish activly swim around looks unreal

Moose/Ranmar,

Thanks a ton for the advice you have given, that has cleared up a lot of what I was not sure about. Just for clarity, let me know if this makes sense;

8m alloy boat - twin 175's
    most fishing is in up to 60m of water, but the trench goes down hundreds dependant (I don't fish it much).
    Currently have a full suit of Raymarine with C120 head unit and a TM 260 broadband Tx. All electronics are 14 years old and I want to replace the lot, like for like if possible.

The system I was planning before I got confused was this, appreciate if you could improve on it.

Axiom Pro 12 RVX
    Evolution Auto Pilot ACU150 with P70rs
    Quantum 2 Q24D Radar
    Transom Mount 1kw Transducer (but don't know which is the best option yet)

I'm thinking that should keep me out of trouble for a while.

With transducers you have a few directions to go.
    The Raymarine RV100 transducer isnt too bad in the shallower water collum. and side/down is handy at times. so i would consider one of those in the equasion
    The bulk of the fishing muscle though i would reccomend a Medium/Low TM265LM
    Medium CHIRP is a bit of underdog sucess story in the blue water world. over here we are fishing in similar depths... "50 to 150m" more often than not with the occasioanl dip into the 200+ rehlm off south coast NSW. But we are kidding ourselves if we say we often go deeper.

Medium has proven itself rather well in those rhelms with the additional Low 1kw frequency should you want to punch down deeper for swords etc, however one of the more convinent reasons is that its the same transom mount/size as your current TM260 so, installation would be a cakewalk , being a dual element transducer you will forgo the need to have an operation cable. just... you know.... one less thing.....

that combination would secure you the full rainbow.. Low Medium and High frequencies. with some side.down vision and 3d for fun.

Raymarine evolution pilots are great. nothing to worry about there. the ev150 kit is great no problemo. p70rs is easy peasy... and you will find yourself steering the boat more with the P70RS than with the actual steering wheel.
    Quantum 2 is a brilliant short range radar "however if you are wanting to see birds and distant targets better id opt for the HDCOLOUR radar instead "

But yeah! solid looking future proof system
    Moose

www.moosemarine.com.au

Thanks again Moose,

With the transducer are you suggesting running two, the RV100 and the TM 265? That sounds good if it can be done. Thanks for the tip on the Radar. I am not concerned about seeing over the horizon but would like to be able to see birds and storms if that is possible.

I you are a dealer for this gear so I will shoot you a pm if that's o.k and see if you can put a package together for me. I am comfortable in doing the install myself so will look at getting all the gear in one hit.

Cheers.

Hey mate,
    Yeah we are Raymarine dealers, feel free to shoot us a pm or email info@moosemarine.com.au
    yeah both transducers can work well together.

Id def be recommending going for a colour HD radar consider however they do draw more power and punch out 4kw of energy. so standing in front is a bit funky

Thanks again Moose,

With the transducer are you suggesting running two, the RV100 and the TM 265? That sounds good if it can be done. Thanks for the tip on the Radar. I am not concerned about seeing over the horizon but would like to be able to see birds and storms if that is possible.

I you are a dealer for this gear so I will shoot you a pm if that's o.k and see if you can put a package together for me. I am comfortable in doing the install myself so will look at getting all the gear in one hit.

Cheers.

www.moosemarine.com.au

Check out that garmin video i spoke about here

https://www.facebook.com/98708114469...2569403475108/

Pm sent

Moose
    Thanks again Moose,

Cheers.

www.moosemarine.com.au