Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Anyone using lead crystal battery?

Re: Anyone using lead crystal battery?

Has any one tried using baking soda to recover their batteries.

Quote Originally Posted by EdBerg View Post
    Hey Crunchy, I am not 100% sure but I was under the impression that if you bought the battery from a retailer then they have to do the warranty and not the supplier as your business transaction was with them and they can't just fob you off and say that it is the suppliers responsibility. I would give the "Office Of Fair Trading" a call and explain the situation with them and see what they say. It doesn't cost anything except your time when they put your call on hold. You don't have anything to loose, if it is as I think it is then they may want to get involved as it may be a breach of your consumer rights. When you bought it did they say it was pro rata warranty or straight out replacement with the warranty period, if it was pro rata then just count your losses and move on, if not give them heaps.

Cheers

Ed

I
    Yes that’s correct Ed, but they not interested.....but I showed them, I bought another battery off them at full price

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    Has any one tried using baking soda to recover their batteries.
    Baking soda is an alkali, Batteries are acid, you will simply neutralise the acid.
    Jack.

Quote Originally Posted by tunaticer View Post
    Baking soda is an alkali, Batteries are acid, you will simply neutralise the acid.
    Couldn't understand how it could work just that it is a regular method often promulgated on the internet. I was hoping some one had actually tried it and posted some vitriolic comments. Or just comments.

Quote Originally Posted by Crunchy View Post
    Yes that’s correct Ed, but they not interested.....but I showed them, I bought another battery off them at full price
    When you say " they were not interested" are you referring to the Office of Fair Trading " not being interested, or the retailer, either way, what possessed you to buy another battery off the same retailer and at full price at that?

When you say " they were not interested" are you referring to the Office of Fair Trading " not being interested, or the retailer, either way, what possessed you to buy another battery off the same retailer and at full price at that?
    The retailer...not sure what I will do from here...lot of energy to recover a few hundred dollars...
    Apart from not being too keen to honour their warantee to the letter (Its only got two weeks left) they are a good supplier and nice enough people. (Delivered a new battery to my door next day)

Might try a high amp charger to kick it in the guts and see if it can be recovered, tried recovery mode on my 7amp c-tek but its not up to the task - just a pesky red error light the next day.

Crunchy try and old school charger none of this fan dangle wizardry stuff pump in 4-8 amps and leave it on charge 24 hours

Keep the battery off a concrete floor too

Sent from my SM-G900I using Ausfish mobile app

Crunchy: I would have contacted the Office of Fair Trading just on principle and let them deal with the retailer, it is still not too late, as I said you have nothing to lose and everything to gain, as for them being "nice enough people", if they were that nice they would not have tried to stiff you, there are consumer rights laws and they as a retailer are required to abide by them, it is part of their business requirements.

At the end of the day, it's your money so if your happy enough to let them get away with it, then it is your choice! My view is a few hundred dollars in my pocket is better than in theirs. As I said, I would let the the Office of Fair Trading deal with it on your behalf, that is what you pay your taxes for.

Totally agree Ed a good business would do whats right and cover your battery under warranty either replace on the spot or send it back for repair not just say bad luck in so many words that is really shit service

Crunchy: I would have contacted the Office of Fair Trading just on principle and let them deal with the retailer, it is still not too late, as I said you have nothing to lose and everything to gain, as for them being "nice enough people", if they were that nice they would not have tried to stiff you, there are consumer rights laws and they as a retailer are required to abide by them, it is part of their business requirements.

At the end of the day, it's your money so if your happy enough to let them get away with it, then it is your choice! My view is a few hundred dollars in my pocket is better than in theirs. As I said, I would let the the Office of Fair Trading deal with it on your behalf, that is what you pay your taxes for.
    ok I’ll try them but I got a feeling you can’t just hand over the problem.... I got fishing to do

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    Crunchy try and old school charger none of this fan dangle wizardry stuff pump in 4-8 amps and leave it on charge 24 hours

Keep the battery off a concrete floor too

yeh going to pump some amps in...concrete floor? Why dat

Quote Originally Posted by Crunchy View Post
    yeh going to pump some amps in...concrete floor? Why dat
    Im not sure the reason why but i was told if u leave a battery on a concrete floor it will drain the battery

I also find my old Arlec 8amp charger works wonders on "normal charge 4amps" when ever i select "boost 8amps" the battery only half charges so i believe as long as u have more than a trickle 800mah-1amp charge atlease a few amps and leave her going on the bench you may save it

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    Totally agree Ed a good business would do whats right and cover your battery under warranty either replace on the spot or send it back for repair not just say bad luck in so many words that is really shit service

Battery failures are often down to operator error ………

flattening the battery …. by leaving something on

Drawing down a battery too low & too often

Drawing a battery down & not immediately recharging

Overcharging - continue to pump in amps when battery is fully charged

Too high a charge rate - you shouldn't be charging a 100amp battery at 25 amps

Wrong charging algorithms for the battery .

Letting a battery stand for too long without charging

Shorting a battery

I reckon there are many more ways to kill a battery or greatly reduce its life & it's for these reasons why battery warranty's are often not honoured .
    I've been guilty of most of these & it explains why over the last 30 years batteries have died on me. If I think about my 24 volt leccy motor on my old hornet … I put 2 x 100amp - high quality AGM batteries (Absorbed Power) & I proceeded to kill them in about 3 years by running them flat , running them flat & immediately not recharging - while I had a onboard minn kota charger (5 amps / bank) I would when away on a trip - hit them with a 25 amp charger. (you should charge at around 10-15% of the battery capacity.
    Yet - I eventually went back to a 12 volt Minn kota & used a thumping big 200amp AGM …. which spent 4 years on the hornet , then 6 years on my Sea Jay …… & I still have it - it still holds a charge - All because it rarely got discharged below 50% , was charged with a 25 amp smart charger & would get a top up on a monthly basis.

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

I think the " don't leave them on the concrete" came from way back in the days when the batteries cases was made out of a rubberised compound and they had a slight electrical leak which would discharge the battery quicker, nowadays the case is made out of plastic so not relevant from today's point of view, but I think that being on a concrete floor would chill the battery more, especially now that we are in winter and batteries don't like the cold temps if they are borderline.

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    Battery failures are often down to operator error ………

flattening the battery …. by leaving something on

Drawing down a battery too low & too often

Drawing a battery down & not immediately recharging

Overcharging - continue to pump in amps when battery is fully charged

Too high a charge rate - you shouldn't be charging a 100amp battery at 25 amps

Wrong charging algorithms for the battery .

Letting a battery stand for too long without charging

Shorting a battery

I reckon there are many more ways to kill a battery or greatly reduce its life & it's for these reasons why battery warranty's are often not honoured .
    I've been guilty of most of these & it explains why over the last 30 years batteries have died on me. If I think about my 24 volt leccy motor on my old hornet … I put 2 x 100amp - high quality AGM batteries (Absorbed Power) & I proceeded to kill them in about 3 years by running them flat , running them flat & immediately not recharging - while I had a onboard minn kota charger (5 amps / bank) I would when away on a trip - hit them with a 25 amp charger. (you should charge at around 10-15% of the battery capacity.
    Yet - I eventually went back to a 12 volt Minn kota & used a thumping big 200amp AGM …. which spent 4 years on the hornet , then 6 years on my Sea Jay …… & I still have it - it still holds a charge - All because it rarely got discharged below 50% , was charged with a 25 amp smart charger & would get a top up on a monthly basis.

Chris
    not operator error in this case....lead crystal batteries seem to be very temperamental, lots of returns, the optima AGM I bought at the same times still perfect