Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Anyone using lead crystal battery?

Quote Originally Posted by Crunchy View Post
    It will teach it a lesson for being difficult though
    Only until your fork runs flat - then the shoe will be on the other foot. I've tried pushing them - they're bloody heavy.
    "I soak the worms in rum. The fish love em and the worms die happy"
    "Alcohol is not the solution to your problems...................but then again, neither is milk"

I have recently bought one of these and paired it as a mobile battery for the car or boat with redarc dc to dc charger.

After a bit of reading, it seems redarc initially did not recommend their charge algorithms for these, but then after testing, ultimately now endorse the standard agm setting as suitable.

So if redarc are recommending their agm setting, I would say that's close to right. I can't recall the voltage, but it is on their website.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have recently bought one of these and paired it as a mobile battery for the car or boat with redarc dc to dc charger.
    What's the idea behind that Darren?

Quote Originally Posted by Fed View Post
    Aux batt for fridge etc?

Sent from my iPad using Ausfish mobile app

Off topic a bit.But if your charger won't start the charge cycle due to it being to flat simply hook another battery in sequence (that has charge) and disconnect after a minute or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Fed View Post
    Sorry - just saw the query.

It is for a typical auxiliary battery that you would normally set up.
    Fridge/freezer in the car when needed (removable slide etc so it does not live there 100% of the time).
    The same fridge goes to the boat also occasionally, so I can take the battery with it and connect to an Andersen plug there if I don't want to rely on the start batteries (which there are 2 anyway). Thus giving a third auxiliary battery on the boat when I choose to take it.

Boat has two motors with separate batteries, however one runs the house electronics. Technically I can rely on the second in emergencies, but for longer trips it would be nice to keep the fridge off the main start battery circuits all together. I was tossing up an option to isolate the house from the start battery and then be able to power them separately via an Andersen plug supply patched from the mobile auxiliary also... Maybe overkill, but if you were anchored up with electronics running overnight etc, it might be good piece of mind.

For the price of the batteries (plus DC-DC charger), I found it hard to justify buying and maintaining 2 expensive batteries properly, when I can simply move one from use to use. May be different if you used them in the car and boat regularly, thus 2 being viable.

Interestingly the Landcrusier has 2 65AH start batteries (acting as one) which powers the fridge for 24 hours. Thus the boat with 2 x 125AH batteries available for starting should be fine. But having separation gives a nice feeling if your off alone away from help.