Thread: Boat only likes Lowest Trim Setting

Boat only likes Lowest Trim Setting

Hi all,

So i have owned a boat for a few months ago. Its a Tahoe Bowrider Sterndrive and one thing i noticed is that when i plane the boat i need to have the engine trimmed all the way down. The moment i try and raise the trim the boat starts to bounce around, and then when i lower it, its nice and smooth on the water. I have been told having the trim all the way down will strain the engine and also chew up a lot more fuel. Is there something wrong with the boat, or is it a case of this boat simply being that way? Apologies for the question in advance, i am still very much a newbie

Re: Boat only likes Lowest Trim Setting

You have described what is typical of just about all American lake boats. Best solution I have found is a Permatrim. For water sports the permatrim and a Mercury High Five prop is about as good as it gets on the inboard/outboard bowriders.

Yep same on my Reinell. 4 blade prop helped but trying to plane under 14 knots in slight slop is a pain and trips back from Moreton in typical less than ideal conditions is a continuous throttle dance.
    I don't think full trim in uses much more fuel as I use it often with little perceived difference over glassed out days where I can trim out.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealPoMo View Post
    Yep same on my Reinell. 4 blade prop helped but trying to plane under 14 knots in slight slop is a pain and trips back from Moreton in typical less than ideal conditions is a continuous throttle dance.
    I don't think full trim in uses much more fuel as I use it often with little perceived difference over glassed out days where I can trim out.

It's good to know its at least expected behaviour and that nothing is wrong with the boat. I have a 4 blade Solas Stainless Steel prop on there at the moment. I have one other question regarding oil pressure, my oil pressure gauge reading typically sits bang in the middle between Low and High. I have had issues with oil pressure causing alarms as well as an oil leak since i bough the boat. I have been told this has all been fixed now, but i am unsure of where the oil pressure gauge should sit. Should it be at the highest point of the gauge or is in the middle fine? The pressure also drops slightly when we are at slow speeds, and reads a bit higher when we are travelling faster?

Thanks.

I have a Volvo 4.3 V6, not sure what you have but if it is a Merc 4.3 it's the same GM Chev engine. At startup fast idle the gauge reads about 80psi, roughly 3/4 up the scale. As the oil warms and the idle drops I think it drops to just over half...but don't quote me on that. Under way at 3000rpm or so it goes just under 80...maybe 70? These gauges are not calibrated so I wouldn't worry too much if an expert has sorted out. Should be a separate audible alarm for danger levels (sounds like you've heard that). If that's quiet I probably wouldn't worry. 100% piece of mind - get a mechanic to measure it properly.