Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Diesel quality

Diesel quality

6c a litre difference diesel at Aussie world compared with BP and Caltex etc.
    The owner assures me that at Aussie world has a cetane of 55.7 and BP grarantee one of 55. What about vortex diesel is it better? It may clean the injectiors but if I put an agent in periodically that should compensate. Looking for ways to save money but also want to do the best by the engine.
    My mechanic says there is a big difference in quality of LPG as well and BP and Caltex have the best LPG. He should know because he's changing the filters and reckons he can see the difference.
    Thank you for you input and knowledge on this important topic.

Re: Diesel quality

I recently bought a new Isuzu Mux and the salesman advised me that BP had the cleanest diesel and to use BP. I have seen the BP advert on TV but am I better off using BP or is this a lot of BS.

G'day
    Info from someone knowledgeable in the industry would be good to hear?
    I can only offer my own anecdotal experience. Last year I bought a new ranger and got in the habit of filling at a convenient independent servo, but after it started to idle roughly, almost stalling on a couple of occasions, I switched back to BP and after a couple of tank fulls it came good. This also happened quite a few years ago when my wife had a petrol vehicle and we were filling at an independent. Could have been a coincidence on both occasions I guess
    I've also read that BP and Caltex is the best, could just be marketing I suppose
    Cheers
    Rod

Cetane levels seem to run between 46 (the min allowed) and low 50s with 51 being common.

Much of our diesel seems to come from Singapore
    Some is refined in Aust.

Puma appears to use the Singapore stuff, the others ?

I used Neumans now Puma ex their depot where the B Ws filled and was happy with it. Now use puma that gets deliveries from the depot I used to use.
    All sorts of info and people reports on the interweb but who really knows and will they tell you anyhow.

Happy Motoring and as long as you don't pick up a load of water and crud enjoy another day above the green!

Cheers
    Chimo

http://www.environment.gov.au/topics...andards/diesel

http://thegreynomads.activeboard.com...topic=63028784
    What could go wrong.......................

Being a high km user 60k / year and through experience I now use and fill up only at BP or Caltex. If desperate will do only bare minimums to get me to a Bp or Caltex.
    Cheers

Steven

Seashawgal, I prefer the BP/caltex, personal preference as it is related to my consumption comparisons. Try BP at Glenview at the Mooloola turnoff on the way to Landsborough, always cheaper than most of sunshine coast on most of their fuel range and similar price to aussie world fuels. I've also installed a secondary filter in my vehicle for water and crud.

Caltex or bp, maybe shell. Never puma. Ive been told puma comes from brazil

And i did get a belly full of water once from puma a few years back. Innsurance took care of it, admitibly a storm had gone through the day before but dozens of cars were caught

I have a 2.8ltr prado on 60 000km. Did 33 000km travelling Aus last yr so obviously filled up at average servos. 90% of my other fills are at Aussie world on sunny coast. Never had an issue.

The fuel you get at the bowser is more or less the same for all manufacturers, in fact most will come from the same refinery especially here in Queensland. You wont be able to measure any increase in performance objectively.

One cannot be said the same for the tanks it goes into at each servo.

A good servo will test the fuel for water, they use a paste on a dipstick that changes colour in the presence of water.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealAndy View Post
    The fuel you get at the bowser is more or less the same for all manufacturers, in fact most will come from the same refinery especially here in Queensland. You wont be able to measure any increase in performance objectively.

One cannot be said the same for the tanks it goes into at each servo.

A good servo will test the fuel for water, they use a paste on a dipstick that changes colour in the presence of water.
    And, in addition as advised by a friend in the game, even when there were multiple sources, if one was running short on a product they would source from the opposition as required.

There is always lots of debate about this. The grey nomads are always discussing it.

I think the best idea (applies to both diesel and unleaded) is to try to buy from a outlet that is selling high volumes of fuel and is reasonably new, with the hope that the fuel will be fresh and clean from those outlets.
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....

Quote Originally Posted by Moonlighter View Post
    There is always lots of debate about this. The grey nomads are always discussing it.

I think the best idea (applies to both diesel and unleaded) is to try to buy from a outlet that is selling high volumes of fuel and is reasonably new, with the hope that the fuel will be fresh and clean from those outlets.
    This about sums it up. You cant tell the grey nomads, once they have an idea in their head its right and you are wrong!!

Some will claim they can measure the performance difference, but the only way to do it repeatably is to have a test engine on a dyno where all things are equal.

The cleanness of fuel is a complete furfy these days.
    All cars have fuel filters that should be changed each service.
    They are there to catch dirt etc.
    It is part of regular maintenance schedules. You pay for it in every service already.

If you are concerned about your fuel check it's additives and octane ratings and ignore the crap about dirty fuel.

Several fuel companies add injector cleaner to the fuel, but you can bet both your nuts it would be so low a percentage that it's effectiveness is marginal and sales of a "superior" product are good.
    Jack.

Not sure I can agree in the cleanliness issue - get a load of crap fuel on board, and the filters are quickly clogged up and you are going to have problems.

Its happened to friends of mine with modern diesel cars, and its happened to members on this forum on their boats. Filters can only cope with so much crap before insufficient fuel gets thru.
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....