pete

Re: tranducer box

Tap water. Why the change?

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    Tap water. Why the change?
    i had tap water but was told radiator fluid caused no bubbles

Grab a bottle of fresh water and shake the shit out it mate and see how long any bubbles hang around and if a tank is full of water it cant aerate - but then again neither will radiator fluid. Basically all that is required is a medium for sound transmission. Some fluids - vegetable oil as an example, can actually damage some transducers and as such should be avoided. Antifreeze is recommended in the Airmar literature mainly on the grounds of it not freezing over a cold winter and thus expanding and destroying things - nothing to do with bubbles - not an issue in most parts of Australia but it works fine. Tap water works, isn't toxic, doesn't make a mess if it leaks and if it does there is usually (or at least should be) some on board to top up the tank and it's cheap.

yep tap water. baby oil "johnson brand because im posh" antifreeze.. all have been fine here in cold melbourne.

Marine outfitting solutions
    www.moosemarine.com.au

Could the water evaporate when tranny gets hot?

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums
    Mercury 115ct going strong😁

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtyfuzz View Post
    Could the water evaporate when tranny gets hot?

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums
    Not if the tanks sealed properly. Normal transducer won't generate that much heat. They get mildly warm at best even in air in these sort of sizes. Chirp run hotter but if the tanks sealed nothing can get out (unless you boil it and it explodes).

I can think of one advantage of radiator fluid, if it ever leaks it's green and easily spotted, tap water would just look like a bit of the briny or water from washing the boat.

I have been using the stuff airmar recommended in the install instructions - Propylene Glycol mixed with demineralised water. Took a while to track it down. I've have had no problems and it hasn't required a top up in 2 years. Its clear when mixed so not easy to spot any leaks if your worried about that.

I also have a mate that filled his with just plan water on its own and he has had no problem other than the water level decreasing over time, whether this is a leak or not I'm not sure.