Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NMEA 2000 power - switched or not?

NMEA 2000 power - switched or not?

howdy,

i've bought a new to me boat and am swapping electronics etc from my old boat. The new one has an NMEA network which I've not had before.

Currently it is wired through a switch.

Is there any reason why the network should be switched ( I have a general battery switch to stop battery draw when I'm not using the boat.

It just seems unnecessary to me - but haven't used the network stuff before so wanted some feedback. Should I have it/not have it switched?

have external gps antenna, motor and gps connected through the network.

Cheers,

Moffy

Re: NMEA 2000 power - switched or not?

Your call Moffy - no right or wrong just advantages/disadvantages. Having it switched means you can easily reset it if you have the misfortune of encountering a software glitch. Not having it switched you can still do it - you just have to shut the entire boat down. Some networks are dual powered with things like gauges taking power from the engine harness and other things like GPS antennas being powered either through the master or an on dash power source. Many and varied ways of doing this.

Ausfish Bronze Member Marchy001's Avatar

I've had mine not switched for years no issue until I had the etec put on. Gauges wouldn't turn off with the key. Not a big problem at all but mine is now hooked into the ignition.

Thanks for the replies guys.

That's an interesting one Marchy - I don't have a digital gauge (currently) but would want the GPS antenna powered while ignition off.

my network is pretty much all about the plotter so may link it to that.

cheers,

Moffy.

We switch %99 of the ones we install. If you use an external antenna or Auto pilots it will flatten the battery if left on i.e over nighters
    Garry

Retired Honda Master Tech

Got it all up and running (and have it switched - linked to GPS given the external antennae) - Any issue with having the network powered up yet hooked up to the engine (175 Zuke) whilst engine/ignition is off)?

Is it worth the time and $$ to set it up with a power isolator tee and run switched power for the antenna on one side and ignition linked power to the motor side of the network?

Cheers,

Moffy

no need for aditional power supply as it may cause issues
    Garry

Retired Honda Master Tech

Mine is but I have gauges that are powered by the NMEA2000 port and would stay on whenever the engine is shut down - not so much an issue as an annoyance. If you don't have this issue then no problem.

Thanks guys will leave it as is.

That said - curious about your response Gary - as to how the second power would cause issues if i have that side of the network separated from the other side using a Power Isolation tee (ie. allows data through but no power - therefore that side of the network would be otherwise unpowered)?

Moffy

You are correct, with a power isolating T between the 2 halves of the network, there are no issues. That is the whole point of the power isolating T.

What you dont want to have is 2 network power sources WITHOUT them being separated by a power isolating T. (The exception is if you use a special multi-source network power node)

Re your earlier question re any issues with the network being powered on while the Suzuki engine is off - no issues at all with this setup. Its the same as any other device on the network being turned off while the network is on.

All that happens is that the Suzuki will not appear on the network device list. But within a second or two of the engine key being turned on, it will reappear.

Had mine set up like that for years. Perfectly safe.

So no need or benefit to use the power isolating T in your case. Mostly people use them if they have digital engine gauges that are powered by the network and they want them to turn off when the engine is turned off.
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....

Thanks for all the input guys - first boat with a network and am learning as i go. All sorted and getting the data I need from the engine on the gps etc.

Now just need to troubleshoot the QL tabs and get the furuno reading at speed (through hull transducer has a badly scuffed/cracked leading edge - so can sort that one easily (though not cheaply.....)

Cheers,

Moffy.

Any questions re the Suzuki network/interface just PM me. Will get you sorted.

Remember to reset fuel to full when you fill up!
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....

Quote Originally Posted by Moffy View Post
    Thanks for all the input guys - first boat with a network and am learning as i go. All sorted and getting the data I need from the engine on the gps etc.

Now just need to troubleshoot the QL tabs and get the furuno reading at speed (through hull transducer has a badly scuffed/cracked leading edge - so can sort that one easily (though not cheaply.....)

Cheers,

Moffy.
    As a short term fix try fairing the leading edge with Sika. Don't use any sort of solvent on the transducer face.

Ausfish Bronze Member

G'day,

I have no physical fuel gauge as such, and rely on fuel used and fuel in/out for a 210L tank so..Is the digital gauge for 2017 DF140A 'fuel used' accurate? And, I have just fitted NMEA 2000 kit to Suzuki gauge and Garmin 95sv. Does the sounder just display what the gauge does, or is it receiving info from engine management itself? I haven't taken her out since I fitted the kit, so I guess I will find eventually lol. Thank-you.

Garmin have their own fuel mamgement typically. You will need to enter the required values.