Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NMEA 2000 power - switched or not?

Re: NMEA 2000 power - switched or not?

Quote Originally Posted by Toygut View Post
    G'day,

I have no physical fuel gauge as such, and rely on fuel used and fuel in/out for a 210L tank so..Is the digital gauge for 2017 DF140A 'fuel used' accurate? And, I have just fitted NMEA 2000 kit to Suzuki gauge and Garmin 95sv. Does the sounder just display what the gauge does, or is it receiving info from engine management itself? I haven't taken her out since I fitted the kit, so I guess I will find eventually lol. Thank-you.
    Yes the fuel used from the 2017 Suzuki digital gauge is very accurate. So much so that there is not even any option to calibrate it.

With the network established, the data will be shared from the Suzuki to the Garmin, so what you see on the Garmin will match what the Suzuki gauge says. When you do the refuel process on the Suzuki, it resets the data that is shared with the network so the data on the Garmin will always be the same as the Suzuki gauge.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....

Ausfish Bronze Member

Ausfish Bronze Member

Moonlighter, Sorry for the delay. We had some windy weeks and couldn't get out. The Garmin unit was pretty much as you said. The weird thing is now, the Suzuki gauge, while displaying the GPS co-ordinates (showing that link between Garmin and Multi-function gauge is true), fails to show instant or average fuel consumption. The Garmin unit seems to display everything fine. Not sure what I have/haven't done here. The user manual doesn't show any setting peripherals or options in relation to this. Anyone here have any experience with this? Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Moonlighter View Post
    You are correct, with a power isolating T between the 2 halves of the network, there are no issues.
    Hi Grant,
    just wondering if you could comment further on the power isolating (yellow) Garmin Tees.
    I understand they will split the backbone power for the network, which I am going to do to separate engine control gauges etc from the balance of my network. However if I plug into the actual yellow tee itself (where you would normally plug your device drop cable), how does that separate.

ie. If I ran a power supply to it, does it power one side only of the tee. Likewise if I put a drop cable to it, would that be on one half of the network power also?

I don't have an isolator in hand yet, otherwise could test this.....

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Havent used them personally, but if you check thier specs it should be pretty straightforward.
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....

Quote Originally Posted by Toygut View Post
    Moonlighter, Sorry for the delay. We had some windy weeks and couldn't get out. The Garmin unit was pretty much as you said. The weird thing is now, the Suzuki gauge, while displaying the GPS co-ordinates (showing that link between Garmin and Multi-function gauge is true), fails to show instant or average fuel consumption. The Garmin unit seems to display everything fine. Not sure what I have/haven't done here. The user manual doesn't show any setting peripherals or options in relation to this. Anyone here have any experience with this? Cheers!
    Didnt see this earlier and its been a while since it was posted.... but

Most likely a data source issue. Need to go into gauge menu and select the Garmin as data source for speed etc, or select SOG for speed data. It will be something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Moonlighter View Post
    Havent used them personally, but if you check thier specs it should be pretty straightforward.
    Thanks Grant. That was what I thought, but Garmin details are vague, and hunting forums all over can't find a specific comment that clarifies.
    I will get one and test it to see how it is configured.

Cheers.

NMEA 2000 power - switched or not?

Just to help anyone else chasing info. The yellow power isolates are actually blanked off on the tee where a drop cable would typically connect. So all they do is isolate two network halves. Not obvious in the pics of the connector...
    I was also told these are discontinued from one supplier, another advised the black Garmin tee are being replaced with grey, which have the same orientation as the other manufacturers on the market- so they can all be used together and fixed down properly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the yellow Tees in stock, we use them where we need 2 power supplies for different sections of the nmea 2000 network. You have to have a good understanding of the network to use them correctly
    Garry

Retired Honda Master Tech

Ausfish Bronze Member Marchy001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Spaniard_King View Post
    I have the yellow Tees in stock, we use them where we need 2 power supplies for different sections of the nmea 2000 network. You have to have a good understanding of the network to use them correctly
    Can you pm your number my way please I’d be keen to discuss if an isolating Tee would rectify issues I’m having with my network.

Cheers

Marchy.