Thread: HDS Gen 3 with Totalscan - adding Airmar P79?

HDS Gen 3 with Totalscan - adding Airmar P79?

I have dual HDS Gen 3 with Totalscan Transducer set up. At fast cruise speed ~50 klms / hour, I tended to lose depth readings. I have played around with height of transducer and have got it much better.

I travel in Moreton Bay, Brisbane, which is known for short sharp chop and gets relatively windy. Getting my tabs to level the boat, my depth readings come back, wind blows another knot or two and then lose depth until I tab again.

This is frustrating me as I like to have the depth reading continuously. (Can take 10 - 15 seconds per movement etc also)

Is it overkill to add an Airmar P79 shoot thru hull transducer (about $220) or should I continue to try and fine tune the totalscan?

Will there be any conflicts with both transducers running at once? The total scan normally runs on 200khz (10 to 30 meters of water ), As I only want depth from the Airmar, should I change it to 50khz to stop and potential issues??

Any advice, especially aorund potential conflicts welcomed.....

Cheers Adam

Re: HDS Gen 3 with Totalscan - adding Airmar P79?

Couple of things Adam - adding the P79 may not fix your problem - will depend on whether the issue is localized to where your totalscan is mounted or not. Secondly, a lot of modern sounders will transmit on both frequencies (if they are dual frequency) regardless of what is displayed on screen - I don't know whether yours is such an animal but you would need to confirm this from either the manufacturer or someone who is familiar with it's operation

Have the same Sounder / transducer set up as you do on my 2016 Stacer Nomad 469. At top speed It does about 55 K/hr with the 70 Suzuki and trim tabs deployed.

I am yet to lose the bottom anywhere at top speed including Moreton Bay. It may be a case of the location you have it mounted, and the angle.

Thanks Scottar and BB,

I will play around with the heights and angles a bit more.

I checked on the other info Scottar, the 200khz of the Airmar is actually 235khz, specifically designed to ensure no clashes with other 200khz transducers (according to Airmar website) I also like the narrow beam of the airmar for offshore as compared to the totalscan.

Last run was cruise at 45klms per hour, into 15 to 20 knot headwind and associated chop. Lost bottom occasionally in those conditions.

Boat is 24 foot with 300hp mercruiser if that makes a difference?

Cheers Adam