Thread: Off Road Trailer

Ausfish Bronze Member Stressless's Avatar

Off Road Trailer

About to build a new off-road trailer for a glass boat.

Has anyone used Hilux springs and shackle hangers, and where did you buy the shackle hangers including trailer hangers to suit ?

Re: Off Road Trailer

I fitted early Hilux springs to my camping trailer 20 years ago and have never had any issues with them after thousands of kilometres Off Road. I purchased a rear chassis cut from 4x4 parts Brendale. I also cut out the shock mounts from the chassis and fish plates from the diff mounts and fitted OME shocks. Shocks are the most important thing when using leaf springs, as they control the shock waves that go through the leaf springs which eventually cause them to break. I learnt this after breaking a few trailer springs early in my Off Road travels. If I was to build another trailer I would use Air Bags as you can Air them to suit your load as well as dump the air to launch the boat.
    Cheers

Ausfish Bronze Member Stressless's Avatar

Re: Off Road Trailer

Thanks, I've got a blacksmith up here making me the Hilux mounting plates, just so happens he was making another set when I turned up. I'll post a pic of the trailer when finished