Thread: School me on electric motors

School me on electric motors

Starting to think about electric motors for trolling, for my 475 quintrex.
    With 75 Merc on the back i average about 4.5kph trolling, can only get lower if i head into wind or current which isnt always possible.
    Would like to be able to get down to 2kph, would also be handy to keep some hours off the big motor.

From the guys in the know, what do you recommend?

I'm thinking 55lb would be enough power.
    The Watersnake units look nice for the price.
    However the virtual anchor mode could come in handy??? on the motorguides and minnkota's, but its a lot extra $$$.
    How long is a 100ah battery likely to last in reasonable conditions trolling at 2-3kph??

Re: School me on electric motors

While they call them "trolling motors" and they can be used as such, in my experience they aren't really the best tool for the job. Depending on tide and breeze you will have a 100ah battery pretty much flat in a couple of hours on that size boat. I would be looking at other options - a "kicker" or auxiliary engine, a trolling plate or simply even dragging a bucket. Running your engine in a tilted position will wash off speed as well. If you do a heap of casting as well, then an electric with spot lock is worth it's weight in gold.

If you are really into trolling and are looking to spend some money on a tool to make life easier, give some serious consideration to an autopilot. I ran one on a 4.5 centre console for years, initially with mechanical steering and then changed over to hydraulic when I got sick of cables rusting up. Makes a day out dragging lures or live baits a much more relaxed exercise.

You could use an electric to troll, but I'd opt for an 80lb for that purpose. As Scott says, you'll kill the battery pretty quick otherwise. An option is also to go for a Lithium battery, which will out-last the lead-acid about 3 times.Mat.

I've got the 55 lb on my 4.2m Quintrex Dory, I've used it most of the day and I run a 120 amp deep cycle battery, this mostly a combination of slow moving, spot lock and following a track at around 1km/hr with quite a few times using the rabbit buton which is full bore or 10 on the setting. Lowest the battery has come back is at 12.2 volts. To use it for trolling at 3km/hr would probably mean you are using the rabbit button but as Scottar suggests this is very dependant on tide and wind, I find on some days I need to have the setting at 6 or better to achieve 1km/hr.

By the way you will need to incorporate additional weight on your boat, 14kg for 55lb model, 24kg min for a cheap 100 amp battery, 36kg for my 120 amp. Its amazing how that 50kgs up front alters everything from lean of the boat depending on where the battery sits to the towbar weight.

i used to have a rpm adjuster on my yamaha ,next to the control box,but that wont help the engine hours i guess,lot cheaper option though

Quote Originally Posted by sjp2 View Post
    i used to have a rpm adjuster on my yamaha ,next to the control box,but that wont help the engine hours i guess,lot cheaper option though
    good point. If it's a merc with the smart craft gauges you'll have troll control to lower revs somewhat.

Thanks for all the replies!

Fairly complex situation i guess, different electrics and batteries etc, dont want to rush out and buy something that doesnt suit so well.

I will try tilting the motor (i should have thought of that already) and dragging a bucket on either side for now and just see how it goes and have a bit more of a think.

My merc is 2stroke 2003 i think, so no smart craft gauges unfortunately.

If anyone has any more comments id be glad to hear.

Sent from my SM-G360G using Tapatalk

Have you thought about a troll a matic ? Should slow you down to 1kph on idle and more importantly 2kph around 1000rpm which eliminated coughing and farting at long periods of idling, Only disadvantage will be a slight loss of top speed at wot.
    Where are you i think I have one in the shed somewhere.
    Cheers
    Ray

I had thought of troll plates a while back.
    I guess I went off them a bit when I got an idea that an electric could be the go.
    I'm in sth east Melb and you?

redland bay qld.
    Cheers
    Ray

what for & where are you trolling ?
    As mentioned a traditional leccy isn't really meant for serious trolling .... there are other options
    A troll plate is probably the best idea - speaking to guys that troll for trout .

If you still think a leccy is worth having go the minn kota or motorguide ..... the added features are worth the coin
    A 55lb will work for your size boat .... but as mention the power draw will flatten a 100amp battery quick smart ( 50amp / hr on max) . the trouble is if you go a bigger leccy - you are talking 2 batteries (more weight ) & another $700-$1000). The other option is to go with a bigger battery or two and have them wired in parallel .... either way more cost and weight .

$150 troll plate vs $2000-$3000 for a leccy

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    what for & where are you trolling ?
    As mentioned a traditional leccy isn't really meant for serious trolling .... there are other options
    A troll plate is probably the best idea - speaking to guys that troll for trout .

If you still think a leccy is worth having go the minn kota or motorguide ..... the added features are worth the coin
    A 55lb will work for your size boat .... but as mention the power draw will flatten a 100amp battery quick smart ( 50amp / hr on max) . the trouble is if you go a bigger leccy - you are talking 2 batteries (more weight ) & another $700-$1000). The other option is to go with a bigger battery or two and have them wired in parallel .... either way more cost and weight .

$150 troll plate vs $2000-$3000 for a leccy

Chris
    Thanks for that insight.

Trolling victorian lakes and dams for cod, yellas, reddies and trout.

The big motor seems quite ok pulling tassie devils for trout.
    But its much too quick for deep diving wide action lures i use for the other fish.

An expensive electric with 2 extra batteries (heavy) isnt really the way i want to go right now.

Ill stick with the simple things for now and just see...

Throw a 20L bucket over the side tied to a bit of rope and tow that when you're trolling

Quote Originally Posted by myusernam View Post
    Throw a 20L bucket over the side tied to a bit of rope and tow that when you're trolling
    Will give it a try!

Quote Originally Posted by ben475 View Post
    Will give it a try!

Quick update, trol a matic is wirkibg well for now. Has dropped idle speed from around 4.5km/h to 2.4km/h.
    No negatives so far, havent checked w.o t. Speed yet.