Thread: Raymarine Axiom pro and RV-100 xducer

Ausfish Platinum Member

Raymarine Axiom and RV-100 xducer

This is probably one for Chocolatemoose, but feel free to chip in if you have any solid knowledge. Axiom comes as a package with the all-in-one gyro stabilised RV-100 TM xducer. Would the fact that it is transom-mounted mean that the leg will shadow it on that side and give you an incomplete picture, and, if so, can you network two for a complete picture?. Please don't let this degenerate into a hull vs transom mount argument--some boats are easy to access for a wetbox/thru hull, others require cutting a piece of floor out, just not practical.
    I know of someone who is going through this at the moment, and, as he is mounting a 1kw something or other in the keel, is buying TWO RV-200's,to be mounted on the hull either side, so he can get full coverage, as the keel will blank it one side. So I am assuming you could do the same TM, is an interface box (more money) involved?
    Edit--just re-read all his stuff and he is thinking the two come as a pair, which have different functions in the overall picture, but I don't see how that could work as you wouldn't be getting any of the function "shadowed" by the keel on each side. He has a 20 deg deadrise hull.
    Another edit--Axiom and Axiopm Pro are only basically differentiated by the 1Kw transmitter of the pro, and 600w of the basic? If you are not a deep dropper, and only bottom fishing to a max of 100m ( and then only rarely), the base package looks very attractive @ RRP of $4999 inc gyro stabilised RV-100 , Pro is $6499 without any transducer.

Re: Raymarine Axiom pro and RV-100 xducer

interested in these units.
    what depth does the side imaging work out to, and how do they compare to say a HDS carbon?

Ausfish Platinum Member

Just from the bit I have read from actual users, they seem to wipe the floor with the equivalent Simrad setup, mostly due to the internally gyro-stabilised transducers, work deeper--have heard to 60m(?) and in some slop, whereas the Simrad and Lowrance stuff only seems to be good for very calm and no more than 30 m max. there are a few videos out there in actual operation, rather than simulation.

So it all depends on where its mounted on the transom and how far from your leg etc. the sonar angle isnt straight out to the side. its more of a 50o arc . so it does go DOWN as well as out.. so usually by the time the sonar beam reaches where your leg would be its below. however... this is all dependent on where the transducer is mounted. at this stage there are no twin transom mount transducers "it would be a crazy small market" their is the pair thru hull versions to aid in the side beams on the hulls dead rise. i believe i know the person you are referring to you who is installing the thru hull and sides. yep a bit of work going into that project.

The axiom pro is also differnt in build. "cast body". IPS screen with higher resolution. 16gb of internal memory "versus 4gb" twin netowork plugs. GS150 antenna port, and CP470 1KW sonar modulator built in. axiom pro is a beast

Hope this helps

Marine outfitting solutions
    www.moosemarine.com.au

Ausfish Platinum Member

Yes, I posted before I re-read, then went back and couldn't change the thread topic from Axiom Pro to simply Axiom. The basic Axiom looks like a pretty good deal at the price.

yeah its a pretty solid performer
    we have some specials on axioms for AUSFISH members atm

www.moosemarine.com.au

Ausfish Platinum Member

This may be of interest to you
    My Contact at Gemeco (Airmar) could not tell me for sure on the phone that they had specifically tested the PM265ML with the chirp box and the CP470. So he looked back through the test records and since he couldn't find it he got a transducer off the shelf and wired it up through the chirp box to their test CP470 and a RM e83 screen. It accepted the transducer & was pinging away. He sent me screen shots.
    This is outstanding service and it makes me feel way more confident that the axiom will also play the game. I also have the pinout wiring for the 11pin plug including the shunt resistor location so things are looking brighter as of tonight.
    it was looking a bit iffy for his proposed setup of two RV-220 s and a PM265L, which was going to torpedo the whole project, but someone at Airmar just got of their bum and tried it on the test bench with the Airmar CHIRP junction box, looks like a goer.
    Pity I am not buying just yet, looking at options for possibly upgrading next year to a new boat and fitout.

Ausfish Platinum Member

I now see that my last post is somewhat irrelevant--he posted up your videos of first impressions of his unit.

yeah have had a fair few plays with it. was trying to get a client to let me cut his pig tail cable off a transducer to try a bare wire join... but that was never going to happen. no on water shots from myself yet.
    we have a project coming in a week and a bit reciving an axiom pro + 2x axioms + 2x ss175s + quantum + flir+ ev200+ cam220 +rv100......so that boat will get a bit of publicity no doubt from raymarine. and we should have some good footage from that.

Moose

www.moosemarine.com.au