Thread: Yaltacraft owners- help please!

Yaltacraft owners- help please!

Hey all.

I have a 555 and am having some continual issues with water leaking through the front hatch when I get water over the bow.

The hatch doesn't seem to have any lining on it so there's obviously a small gap where it's getting through- I bought the boat a few years ago so am unsure if any lining had been removed but from some asking around, it seems to be a common problem...

If anyone else has experienced/ solved this issue or has ideas on how to, any info would be great!! And any photos of how they did this would be even better!

Thanks guys

Anthony

Re: Yaltacraft owners- help please!

Hi Anthony,
    I just ran a carefully cut strip of glue backed neoprene around the fixed side or groove (I don't know the hatch on yours) Its available from most chandleries, comes in various thicknesses and widths. You just need to work out how much gap you have and apply a strip a bit thicker than that.It worked a treat for me.

Clark rubber is your friend for things like this.

This is a common problem on the 555 mate. Mine did the same thing. Get some of the adhesive backed foam and put it under the lid. That way when you close the hatch the foam will seal on the rim and should keep the water out.
    Remember to always log on before heading offshore.

Quote Originally Posted by fishtragic View Post
    Hi Anthony,
    I just ran a carefully cut strip of glue backed neoprene around the fixed side or groove (I don't know the hatch on yours) Its available from most chandleries, comes in various thicknesses and widths. You just need to work out how much gap you have and apply a strip a bit thicker than that.It worked a treat for me.
    Cheer mate, will look into it! Just for confirmation (I must be a bit thick!)... did u mean stick the neoprene to the lid of the hatch, or in the groove that the lip of the lid sits into on the bow of the boat- as in: is it attached to the hull or the hatch lid itself?

thanks ozy. Just checking: did u mean stick the foam to the lid of the hatch, or in the groove that the lip of the lid sits into on the bow of the boat- as in: is it attached to the hull or the hatch lid itself?

Quote Originally Posted by ozynorts View Post
    This is a common problem on the 555 mate. Mine did the same thing. Get some of the adhesive backed foam and put it under the lid. That way when you close the hatch the foam will seal on the rim and should keep the water out.
    thanks ozy. Just checking: did u mean stick the foam to the lid of the hatch, or in the groove that the lip of the lid sits into on the bow of the boat- as in: is it attached to the hull or the hatch lid itself?

Which ever one is going to give you the best surface to attach it to and also make sure that when closed it does in fact seal. You may need some on both surfaces if the gap is too big. The foam is cheap so just use as much or as little as you need.
    Remember to always log on before heading offshore.

Quote Originally Posted by ozynorts View Post
    Which ever one is going to give you the best surface to attach it to and also make sure that when closed it does in fact seal. You may need some on both surfaces if the gap is too big. The foam is cheap so just use as much or as little as you need.
    Also make sure it is closed cell foam.

To the hatch is the best option. I havetried both ways and stuck to the hatch cover is the better option. Also replace the hatch catch with a rubber strecth one if you open the hatch often.
    BigE