Thread: caribbean crusader boat and trailer weight?

caribbean crusader boat and trailer weight?

Are there any Caribbean Crusader owners out there that have had their boat and trailer weighed?

I've been Slowly rebuilding one and unfortunately the trailer I inherited with it is not legal so I can't get the hulk of a thing to a set of scales to weigh in.
    it's a 7.2m fiberglass with a 2.5m beam and a v8 stern drive.

I will be building a new trailer for it once the boat is finished.

I'm also considering buying a new tow vehicle with a 3 ton towing limit, makes me wonder it this will be enough.

Re: caribbean crusader boat and trailer weight?

Quote Originally Posted by crankit View Post
    Are there any Caribbean Crusader owners out there that have had their boat and trailer weighed?

I've been Slowly rebuilding one and unfortunately the trailer I inherited with it is not legal so I can't get the hulk of a thing to a set of scales to weigh in.
    it's a 7.2m fiberglass with a 2.5m beam and a v8 stern drive.

I will be building a new trailer for it once the boat is finished.

I'm also considering buying a new tow vehicle with a 3 ton towing limit, makes me wonder it this will be enough.
    Be very borderline even with an aluminium trailer I would have thought. May even be over 3.5 - specially if you have added glass during the rebuild. I would be inclined to see if you can put the thing on a tilt tray and get it weighed

They are listed as 1.8t on the trailer in the Jeff Webster magazines.
    Remember to always log on before heading offshore.

Quote Originally Posted by ozynorts View Post
    They are listed as 1.8t on the trailer in the Jeff Webster magazines.
    Huh......where's the rest of it. Suppose it depends how the 7.2 is measured.

I have a good mate with the baby brother. A 1980's Carribean Reef Runner. From memory about 6.4m. It has a 5.7 Merc V8 and leg new as of a couple of years ago. It has a hardtop like the Crusaders have and with a steel trailer is 2.75tonns fueled up. The Crusader I reckon would be well over 3 with a steel trailer.

Cheers

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Boat: Seafarer Vagabond
    Live: Great South East....love Moreton Bay fishing

I've always wanted to try this.
    http://studylib.net/doc/7699415/tired-weight

And this by jacking the whole rig up, measuring then moving the pivot point & re-measuring.
    This way you will get the weight of the whole rig not just the boat.
    Author Unknown:
    You can weigh the boat with a regular household scale using simple math and physics.

1. First put the scale under the tongue with the boat pulled all the way up on the trailer. For me the scale read 150lbs so W1=150

2. scoot the boat back on the trailer EXACTLY 10" so 10=X

3. reweight the tongue. For me it was 100lbs so W2=100

4. measure the distance in inches from the axle to the tip of the tongue. For me it was 180". so 180=C

5. Plug all 4 of your numbers into the equation. C(W1-W2)/X

Mine looked like this... 180(150-100)/10

6. do the equation
    a. first you subtract 100 from 150 which = 50
    b. then you multiply 50 by 180 which= 9000
    c. finally you divide 9000 by 10 which = 900

Quote Originally Posted by Fed View Post
    I've always wanted to try this.
    http://studylib.net/doc/7699415/tired-weight

And this by jacking the whole rig up, measuring then moving the pivot point & re-measuring.
    This way you will get the weight of the whole rig not just the boat.
    Author Unknown:
    Load sharing dual axle would change the maths a bit at a guess. Might want a decent set of bathroom scales if the ball weight is anywhere near 10% too.

I was thinking of putting a heavy pipe across the trailer frame supported by car stands Scottar, measure then move the pipe to a new location & measure again. That way you could limit the weight on the bathroom scales to a measurable number.

I gave International Marine? the hull number of my C Commodore (20.5 Ft) and they faxed me the full build details including the weight (no trailer) when it left the factory fully fitted. It was about 1800 Kg by memory.
    That may be another way to go.

Typically we add a lot of weight to vessels over time from Anchors and rodes to dual batteries, many metres of wiring, lights, etx.

Cheers

Mine is 3.2T on the trailer
    Last edited by Bull; 10-09-2017 at 03:01 PM. Reason: add pic
    Rebel Alliance Fishing

That's line ball with what I was thinking Bull. A lot of people underestimate these old hulls. Webster was sometimes way off with weight in my view but probably had to rely on dealers or manufacturers for most weights... Still love his magazines though.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by ozscott View Post
    That's line ball with what I was thinking Bull. A lot of people underestimate these old hulls. Webster was sometimes way off with weight in my view but probably had to rely on dealers or manufacturers for most weights... Still love his magazines though.

Cheers
    Wouldn't be like a manufacturer to get a weight wrong or understate to get a sale would it. My oldies caravan was basically over it's stated ATM before they put personal stuff (or anything else for that matter) in it. As a side note - drove through Maryborough last Sunday on the way home from work and the scalies had a long line of 4wd's with caravans attached systematically being put over the scales - had heard it happened but never seen it first hand until now.

It's amazing how many Reef Runners you see with mechanical brakes...
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by ozscott View Post
    It's amazing how many Reef Runners you see with mechanical brakes...
    Cheers

Same with the early 5.9 Victory's and 6 metre Cruisecrafts (and most others I suspect) - they were only legal until you got them home and put something in them. Once loaded - over 2 ton every day of the week.