Thread: GPS Security Tracker for boat/trailer

GPS Security Tracker for boat/trailer

Anyone use or recommend a small security tracker to put on trailer and/or boat.

Seriously thinking about it when I finally get my new boat. Too many horror stories around!

Re: GPS Security Tracker for boat/trailer

Just be sure you know the product. From what I've seen there are 2 types.
    1 - button like tags, these are only good for tracking as long as they are within wifi range. So if you boat gets stolen and stored/moved away from an open/unsecure wifi network, you can't track it.
    2 - mobile network trackers, these are a small hand sized box that usually has constant 12v supply. They can incorporate an old mobile phone or a SIM card. These ones you can track as long as they are powered up. And you have to pay another monthly phone bill.

Me, I can't be stuffed with either, I just fit a trailer lock and park it all behind a gate for the honest thief and pay insurance because of no hoper scumbags.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The Sydney down rigger guy has them. Little puck you wire up to a 7ah gelcel ( lasts about 6 months between charges ) and fit a prepaid sim. You can text it and ask it where it is - it sends back a google maps reference, or if you want to buy more data you can use a tracking app that provides phone alarms and geofencing abilities. Seems to work okay costs about $120:00 including a $10 Optus sim.

Sent from my iPad using Ausfish forums

Great thanks.

I assume you mean this guy. http://www.downriggershop.com.au/shop.html

Had a mate have 2 x trailers stolen. Not good getting back to ramp to find it missing!

Yep that's the one. It's at the bottom of that "shop" page.

Not sure where you could hide it on a trailer though, you'd have to go for a very small battery. Maybe inside the drawbar at the front where it won't get dunked, hopefully it would still get Gps reception inside steel?

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums

howdy yall. we have been doing tracking systems for a fair while,
    I recommend the Spot trace systems about 190 bucks plus yearly subscription. ($99USD a year)
    considering running a group buy on these shortly.

Marine outfitting solutions
    www.moosemarine.com.au

I have had one for a while. It is a waterproof rechargeable one off ebay. Not the real cheap crappy ones, but decent, and only about $100.
    Worked really well. I put an amaysim pre paid sim in it. Cost less then a couple of dollars a month. You text it and it sends you a link to google maps. It also has a vibration alert that texts you if it moves.
    Recharge it once a month with a samsung charger.
    Been awesome.
    Amaysim just changed their network and i cant get it working again though. Might get another.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Ausfish mobile app

Oh. It has a magnet in it so you can hide it (trailers at the ramp).
    No need for external wires or batteries, makes it easy to conceal on the boat.

As a follow up. I just received a new tracker. $98 from ebay. Australian company. Easy to understand aussie instructions.
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/322380451713
    (Hope that link works).
    Plugged it into a 12v and tested in the loungeroom before wiring into boat. Seems great.
    Has a geofencing feature. Texts you if it moves more then 100m. Also can wire into the ignition for remote kill and a monitoring feature where you can listen to the crooks if you like......
    It comes with a telstra prepaid sim.
    I use Amaysim which is awesome. Costs me about $2 a month. That is just my test messages i send it to make sure its working okay.

Oh. And it has a (smallish) battery backup if smart crooks unplug the battery.