Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Removing Boat Trailer Tyre

Re: Removing Boat Trailer Tyre

Hi all,

Thanks for the comments and suggestions. Here are some pictures of the trailer. Can someone help point out the best place to Jack?

Attachment 116210Attachment 116211Attachment 116212Attachment 116213

Mercthunder. Where are you ? I'd be happy to come around and help advice. Martin...
    High Quality, custom Sports Fishing Boats.

'you won't find a better built boat'

Quote Originally Posted by BOBOAU View Post
    Mercthunder. Where are you ? I'd be happy to come around and help advice. Martin...
    Hey thanks so much for the advise. I am in Western Sydney, How about you?

Feel free to shoot me a private message.

Sorry mate. Up here on the Gold Coast. Good luck with it... Martin...
    High Quality, custom Sports Fishing Boats.

'you won't find a better built boat'

Quote Originally Posted by BOBOAU View Post
    Sorry mate. Up here on the Gold Coast. Good luck with it... Martin...
    No problem, thanks. Can anyone provide some insight on where the jack points are based on the pictures?

under1.jpgunder2.jpgunder3.jpgunder4.jpg

Removing Boat Trailer Tyre

Hi I'd try here ( in attached pic )
    You have to be careful the jack contact point doesn't slip off though.
    And gauge where the centre of gravity is so the whole lot doesn't rock easily.

At home I've got a trolley jack for this ( slip ) reason. It has a wide contact point.

Edit : and the main rail I'm pointing to in the pic is a good fit for a pair or stands as I mentioned in my earlier post - for safety.

Saltwater fishing, boat mad but has a job that gets in the way.

I always just go straight under springs so the springs don't decompress. Minimal jacking. As per second picture.

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums
    560c Bar Crusher "Overtime"

Quote Originally Posted by Skusto View Post
    I always just go straight under springs so the springs don't decompress. Minimal jacking. As per second picture.

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums
    I'd second Skustos answer, you'll need a trolley jack. Make sure the wheel can come out past the guards in its "as normal" level otherwise you may have to jack the "sprung" part of the trailer to allow the wheels enough drop to clear the guards.
    Looking at yr pics you have drop axles, if you can't get under the spring plates I'd go on the axle as close as you can get to the springs. Not sure what's under the glossy green paint on yr trailer frame but if it ain't gal I wouldn't be jackin it.

Sent from my iPad using Ausfish mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by swof63 View Post
    I'd second Skustos answer, you'll need a trolley jack. Make sure the wheel can come out past the guards in its "as normal" level otherwise you may have to jack the "sprung" part of the trailer to allow the wheels enough drop to clear the guards.
    Looking at yr pics you have drop axles, if you can't get under the spring plates I'd go on the axle as close as you can get to the springs. Not sure what's under the glossy green paint on yr trailer frame but if it ain't gal I wouldn't be jackin it.

Sent from my iPad using Ausfish mobile app
    Thanks for the advice. So basically i would be jacking on that square metal piece right? I think its called the fish plate? Do i have that correct?

Another American painted steel trailer. ...sorry to give more worries but it will rust before your eyes in the saltwater .
    Mine is all C section which is good but the light gauge tin work around the wheel arches and the runner mounts will be a problem. I coated mine in blue killrust paint a while back which seemed to help but it's going to be a running battle.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mercthunder View Post
    Thanks for the advice. So basically i would be jacking on that square metal piece right? I think its called the fish plate? Do i have that correct?
    I think they are rectangular but yep thems the ones. As I said they may be too low even for a trolley jack but start there and try the axles next.

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by swof63 View Post
    I think they are rectangular but yep thems the ones. As I said they may be too low even for a trolley jack but start there and try the axles next.

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish mobile app
    Hi, so i tried this and it looks like my trolley jack is too high to fit under the fish plate. In regards to the rectangular axle in the picture, is it safe to jack along there? I worry that it could bend? Does a small, portable, low profile jack exist that i can carry with me in my car? All the ones i've seen so far are huge and too heavy to carry around as a portable item.

You can jack under the axle, just do it close to the spring, lowest, lightweight Jack are those scissor wind up ones, they are small and OK for a trailer, if you are planning on taking a seperate Jack for the boat, make sure you also throw in a reasonable size bit of wood to use as a base when on the side of the road.