Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Removing Boat Trailer Tyre

Removing Boat Trailer Tyre

Hi all,

I am still quite a novice boat owner. I am looking to purchase a spare tyre for my boat trailer. It's a Ford 5 Stud wheel, however the shop needs to measure the stud pattern in order to provide me with the spare. The boat is too large to drive through their workshop so i would rather take one of the trailer tyres off an take it to the workshop to have it measured.

I have never jacked up a boat trailer before, so i am wondering where do i jack from to lift the boat trailer up? I imagine i need to chock the other trailer wheel both front and back, but i am unsure which part of the trailer i jack from. I am not very mechanical minded, so i am sure some people will respond with some names of component on the trailer i can jack from, but i literally will have no idea what this means. If someone could provide a picture that would help greatly as well

Thanks for the assistance all, its been a steep learning curve owning a new boat, but i have enjoyed it so far!

Re: Removing Boat Trailer Tyre

Hi, The trailer will most likely have a pair of main chassis rails that travels front to back the length of the trailer. That's the place to jack the trailer up. But it depends on the trailer design as to access to the best position.
    After securing/chocking the trailer you can look for jack access on that main chassis rail (bearing in mind the weight centre point of the whole boat/motor/trailer)
    Once jacked up ( if you're leaving it that way for a while to get your tyre sorted) it would be wise to have a jack stand near the rear and toward the front #1 for safety and so the whole lot doesn't teeter off the jack for any reason while your not around.

Saltwater fishing, boat mad but has a job that gets in the way.

Just buy a multi fit wheel in the right size, job done.....are you 100% sure it's Ford? if you are, then there is no need to measure anything.

Removing Boat Trailer Tyre

You could, make a template up from say cardboard and take it to the workshop, either press the template on the studs or take the wheel off to do it and draw the stud outline,,,
    Or you could do a search on ford trailer stud sizes and determine it for yourself as in the link here
    https://www.caravansplus.com.au/guid...yres-a-48.html

Saltwater fishing, boat mad but has a job that gets in the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    Just buy a multi fit wheel in the right size, job done.....are you 100% sure it's Ford? if you are, then there is no need to measure anything.
    Ah thanks. Yea im sure it's Ford, i asked the boat shop i bought it from as they had put some new wheels on the trailer before they sold it to me...

I thought there might have been different patterns within the Ford 5 Stud category, but i could be wrong?

Evo on the money, cut a piece of cardboard with a hole in the middle for the stub, put a little grease on the lugs press cardboard on and hey presto pattern template.

Jack it so the weight doesn't transfer to the jockey wheel. They bend.
    Don't ask how I know that...

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Sorry to barge in on your thread Mercthunder, but I have a related question so thought I would ask here rather than start a new thread.
    My trailer has those Meher mag rims (Quntrex traialer) that are ridiculously expensive to buy for a spare. Can I use a multifit rim (steel) with the same nuts and studs or are they tapered meaning I have to go and find an alloy rim?

Thanks and I hope my question isn't too stupid.

Take a nut off and check to see if it's a standard taper kind, I don't think those "tube" kind of nuts are used much now.

Quote Originally Posted by NomadNoosa View Post
    Sorry to barge in on your thread Mercthunder, but I have a related question so thought I would ask here rather than start a new thread.
    My trailer has those Meher mag rims (Quntrex traialer) that are ridiculously expensive to buy for a spare. Can I use a multifit rim (steel) with the same nuts and studs or are they tapered meaning I have to go and find an alloy rim?

Thanks and I hope my question isn't too stupid.
    You can use a gal rim you just need to buy normal wheel nuts and ensure you never use normal wheel nuts on an Ally rim (Must use Acorn wheel nuts
    Garry

Retired Honda Master Tech

Quote Originally Posted by mercthunder View Post
    Hi all,

I am still quite a novice boat owner. I am looking to purchase a spare tyre for my boat trailer. It's a Ford 5 Stud wheel, however the shop needs to measure the stud pattern in order to provide me with the spare. The boat is too large to drive through their workshop so i would rather take one of the trailer tyres off an take it to the workshop to have it measured.

I have never jacked up a boat trailer before, so i am wondering where do i jack from to lift the boat trailer up? I imagine i need to chock the other trailer wheel both front and back, but i am unsure which part of the trailer i jack from. I am not very mechanical minded, so i am sure some people will respond with some names of component on the trailer i can jack from, but i literally will have no idea what this means. If someone could provide a picture that would help greatly as well

Thanks for the assistance all, its been a steep learning curve owning a new boat, but i have enjoyed it so far!
    Measure the wheel stud, if it is 1/2 " the wheel is FORD if its 7/16 then it could be HT or HQ holden
    Garry

Scroll to the bottom.
    http://www.trailersparesdirect.com.a...ums/hub-drums/
    Then measure the stud to adjacent stud with a ruler.

Why acorn nuts Garry?

Quote Originally Posted by Fed View Post
    Scroll to the bottom.
    http://www.trailersparesdirect.com.a...ums/hub-drums/
    Then measure the stud to adjacent stud with a ruler.

Why acorn nuts Garry?
    Normal steel Nuts do not have a large enough chamfered edge compared to Acorn nuts, Alloy wheels need the large chamfered area so the nuts will torque up correctly
    Garry

Quote Originally Posted by mercthunder View Post
    Hi all,

Mercthunder, it would help if you put some pics up of your undercarriage.
    With boat trailers i find it is better to jack the axle as close to the wheel as possible so you won't twist the trailer putting undue pressure on the boat.
    Trailer brakes on
    Chook the wheels
    Position jack an take some weight off the wheel so you can still undo the nuts
    Loosen wheel nuts but don't take off
    Jack the wheel up to clear ground
    Position jack stands to take the weight if the jack fails
    Remove wheel
    Place timber or stand under hub if your leaving the trailer incase

Regardless how you determine your spare you need to be able to change a wheel
    Cheers

As mentioned above, a piece of cardboard held up to the wheel nuts and a light tap to put the impression onto the card will do the trick.

However... If you have no idea how to change a wheel then a spare wont be much use to you.