Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Trying the Caloundra deep water again

Trying the Caloundra deep water again

Gday guys, going to try the deep water off Caloundra again tomorow 06/09/2017. Hopefully will be a bit. Enter prepared with bait and gear this time.
    Heading out about 8.00am, going to the 95-102m drop straight up then out to the 200+ stuff to try again. Loaded the deck winch with 1000m of 100lb braid yesterday. We had 1 good fish on last trip that just destroyed the 80lb mono so hopefully this time I am better prepared. Doesn't look to be a crazy amount of current at the moment but we will have a look.
    Depending on how the weather is and how healthy the esky looks, we may stay out overnight around the tempest area or come back in around 8.00pm, drop off a few fish at home and camp in the passage ready for a super early start on Thursday.
    Anyone else going to be around offshore moreton tomorow being Wednesday?

Cheers
    Lee

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish mobile app
    The wait is finally over.........was worth every minute..........let the RIPTIDE rip..........hell yehhhh

Re: Trying the Caloundra deep water again

I wish, my port trim tab finally gave up, there was a groove in the ram which sucked back enough moisture over time and corroded the electronics. Hopefully get the new ones today.

Good luck out there, Thursday looks to be a cracker of a day.

Goodluck with your new tabs.
    Yeh tomorow does look good, even this morning seems better than expected.
    About to head off, let's hope the fish are Hungry

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums
    The wait is finally over.........was worth every minute..........let the RIPTIDE rip..........hell yehhhh

Gday guys, just thought I would throw up a quick report. Left Caloundra Wednesday morning at 8.00am, jigged some livies and headed for the 95m/102m drop to try for some snapper. Got some nice fish there a couple of weeks ago but nil yesterday. Continued out to the 200m spot that we found last trip and the sounder was blank. Sounded the area for no shows. I had heard numerous people talk of 230m being the secret number so we started travelling slowly and sounding out way out there. At 209m we saw a good show of fish so went back and had a drift.
    I heard the words, I think I have a fish on!!!!!! Cool, until a 25cm red cod and a small shark come up.
    Back again for another drift. Game on. The old man is up on the 9 1/4" alvey. Long tough battle but between sharing the winding, well out the back pops up a cracking cod. Unbelievable, we had done it, fished the deep and caught something. Shortly after we were both on and they were bigger. The first fish was 18kg, the next 2 were 25kg and 30kg.
    Keep in mind that this is a whole new ball game for us and to catch anything was going to be awesome but to have these 3 fish in the box was incredible. We thought we would go down to tempest area to get some snapper and caught 1 at about 40cm only. Just before dark we went into shallow tempest to camp the night as the current at deep tempest was roaring and it turned out to be the same at shallow tempest. Tried to fish for a while and had no success so had a quiet beer and a feed. Was woken at 2.30am by a trawler travelling south that missed us by about 15m. Pretty unnerving to see it as it is right next to you going past.
    Tried the deep tempest area at first light for 1 more 40cm squire so decided to try the same deep area on the way home. 2 more smaller versions were caught then another about 20kg. We packed up then and came home.
    6 cod in total and sore arms and backs but great time was had. Certainly got me keen for that type of fishing.
    Cleaning them is another story, slippery bastards aren't they.IMG_7182.jpgIMG_7212.JPGIMG_7214.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish mobile app

Friggen awesome, well done!

Well done, nice boat also. I believe the secret is to put them on ice immediately then keep them there for a week otherwise the buggers will keep excreting the slime.

Well done. Go get some electric reels now!

Well done Lee,
    Looks like you're eating cod breakfast lunch & dinner for the next 6 months

Quote Originally Posted by Moejoes View Post
    Well done Lee,
    Looks like you're eating cod breakfast lunch & dinner for the next 6 months
    Rob, how did you go cleaning that bar cod, still eating it?

You want some Sam.
    I haven't had any of the last lot yet

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    Rob, how did you go cleaning that bar cod, still eating it?

You want some Sam.
    I haven't had any of the last lot yet
    Nope, missus told me the other day something I never though I'd here, she's getting tired of eating fish.

Next thing the boat will be going as well

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    Nope, missus told me the other day something I never though I'd here, she's getting tired of eating fish.

Next thing the boat will be going as well
    Wash your mouth out. Lee you'd better give most of your fish away or you might be in the same boat😉

Any_Weather

Well done, nice cod. I thought they might have been blue eye trevalla at first.

I hear those bar cod are good chewing,

Never could find a charter that goes out for them

Bondy

Lee, is that a SS weight your using on your dropper.